Saturday, December 29, 2012

Still a Sick Puppy

Yep, still a sick puppy here, albeit a very old sick puppy.


Chicken soup (Campbell's) - Cold Remedy

I'm still trying to shake this cold/flu. I think it is the flu because my whole body aches and I just feel lousy.  I have a dry cough and am lightheaded (more than usual).  

I managed to get through my shift at the hotel last night with minimal sneezing and wheezing.  Of course I didn't look too good but it's hard to tell the difference when one is looking good or not at 71 years of age.  Yes, yes; there I go with the "old man" stuff again but hey, it is what it is.  I'm no spring chicken and when these colds (or flues) come a visiting me, it's harder and harder (now stop that!) to shake them off.  When I was younger, I just ignored colds and such.  Not now folks, my annual visit from the cold and flu demons slow Old Ron down a bit and this time is no exception.


Chicken Soup With Crackers - Dinner tonight - Yum!

Yesterday I loaded up on Zicam, the zinc cold remedy and that really seemed to help.  Today I had chicken soup for lunch and for dinner.  Yep, that's all....chicken soup; what a way to go on a diet.  I did want to lose about five lbs. of blub around my middle but not this way.  

Tonight I'm going to also take Vicks NyQuil before I go to bed so I won't wake up with a mouth that feels like a platoon of soldiers walked through it with muddy combat boots. NyQuil seemed to help out my friend Lar, who I am pretty sure gave me this cold while we were having our daily FaceTime chat a few days ago. 



What's going to get me through the night tonight

As I said, I'm pretty sure I have the flu which I seem to get every year regardless of whether or not I get a flu shot.  Maybe next year I'll forgo the flu shot.  Hmmmm....let me think about that.  Maybe not.  If I forego my annual VA administered flu shot I'll probably end up with the cold to beat all colds.  Best not take a chance.  

I did get a break at work.  I was supposed to work tomorrow during the day but my co-worker offered to work for me.  This gives me a chance to take another two hour afternoon nap.  That's what I did yesterday which gave me enough rest to get through the night.  However, I do have to go to work tomorrow night and then Monday and Tuesday.  But, another break, I won't have to fill in for my other co-worker on Wednesday; he will take his shift back.  For a while there they had me working six days in a row.  Me, a part-time (two nights a week) hotel front desk clerk.  Ask me the last time I worked a month (four weeks in a row) only two nights a week.  If your answer is "not in the last year" you would be right.  So much for "part-time" work.  Let's just say I'm a substitute front desk clerk, that would be a more accurate job description for old decrepit Ron.


Me sitting on the porch at Brandywine Senior Living where my friends Bob and Jim reside now - don't I look "at home?"

17 comments:

  1. spouse and I also have colds - UGH!

    we had 3-4" of snow today. good day to stay inside and do chores and takes naps and bake chocolate cakes and pet cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the flu. Makes me miserable. Glad you were able to talk on the phone once the vacuum went away!!!

    I do hope you feel better soon. WOW! I had no idea that you were 71 years young! I thought I was an Offical Olde Farte at 54! I do hope at 71 I can find a place that looks as nice at BSL!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Talking to Dr. Spo this morning on FaceTime. We wants to firm up plans for the Spotacular in March. We have about 15 so far attending the event. Should be "jolly good fun".

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Speedy recovery, Ron. Some viruses slip the flu-shot and attack. I know, mine lasted 3 weeks. Don't forget to thank your kind co-worker. Rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George,

      Oh my, three weeks? I hope not. Usually I get through these things in three days. Last year though I had one that lasted almost two weeks, longest cold I ever had in my life. I know this is the flu because I'm achy all over and tired and congested and just feeling run down.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. NyQuil works for me too (ask the pharmacist for the real stuff) as well as Mucinex or Sudafed (not over the counter). Your faithful followers are trying to keep you healthy Ron (lol). You should start feeling better pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I don't feel like I'm halfway there yet. I plan to take another LONG nap before I go into work today at 2:30. That always seems to help get me through the second shift.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Rest up my man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest if best Sean. Have to work the next three days though.

      Delete
  6. Ron, I'm hoping that the Zimcam, NyQuil, and chicken soup will have you feeling better very soon. Don't forget to take vitamin C and get plenty of rest.
    When I'm sick I like a hot cup of tea with honey (and a shot of Southern Comfort). Strangely enough, almost everyone I know presently has the flu - - in California, on the east coast, and here in Texas. The Flu Bug is really getting around.
    Anyway, take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      A lot of people I know around here on the East Coast also have the flu, including my co-worker who I am going in to relieve at 3 pm today. I'm all "medicined up" but still feeling lousy. I feel like I'm just delaying my recovery. Usually when I have a cold (when I was much younger), I took nothing for it except to rest and drink fluids. Now I take medicine which relieves some of the symptoms but I don't think they shorten the length of the cold. This is definitely a new strain of the flu bug. Thanks for your good wishes.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron,

    I first felt this thing coming on Friday night, December 21. By Sunday afternoon, December 23 it was in full agonizing bloom. So after ten days of scratching throat, sneezing, coughing, achy, weakness I am about 85% over it. I actually did my usual morning chores yesterday. I almost feel human today. Still haven't gotten back out for my walks. I hope to so on Tuesday, start the New Year off on my feet.

    I actually didn't take NiteQuil. It is a cheaper version called Nite Time, but it worked just as well if not better. I had the best nights sleeps than I have had in quite a while.

    I just wish now I could stop blowing my nose every five minutes.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      I have a feeling this cold/flu is going to last at least a week. Usually when I get a cold it only last for three days. These years I go two weeks. I'm not even halfway through this cold yet. You can tell how far along you are. It's like riding a roller coaster. I didn't get to the Big Dip yet.

      Ron

      Delete
  8. What a nuisance of a downer to finish the year on, Ron. But let's hope that it'll leave you extra-quickly before 2013 settles in properly. Cosset yourself in cosiness and maybe it'll just give up and GO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ray, this is a nuisance and a downer to finish the new year. I was hoping to get through one winter season without catching a virus. My whole body aches and I just feel blah.

      Delete
  9. Chicken soup has been working wonders for eons...but Nyquil helps, too.

    Fell better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      The chicken soup feels so good going down. I know it's doing good for me. You body tells you what's good for you and what isn't.

      Ron

      Delete