Thursday, December 06, 2012

Gay Marriage USA Update

Ike (my brother), me and Bill - September 27, 2012 - our Christmas card photo this year 

As of a few minutes ago, our posting on "Gay Marriage USA" has 42,670 Likes, 2,338 Comments, and 6,218 Shares.  The webmaster of "Gay Marriage USA" sent me a message this morning saying our photo was the second most popular photo ever posted to their website.  





A "Sergio" informed me this morning that our photo has now been published to "Occupy Borders" and that we are becoming "quite famous."  Hey, finally my Fifteen Minutes of Fame!


I am working on reading all the 2,338 comments.  About 30% of them are negative from the Usual Suspects, the Religious Right and the hateful homophobes.  I don't respond to them but I am attempting to respond to all the positive, supportive comments.  

Never in my lifetime did I dream that the relationship I have with Bill would be "accepted" so positively.  Of course I always knew it was right and had always assumed that we would go to our graves living in the shadows of legitimacy.  Now that there is an actual real possibility that we can be married for real, it is almost too much for me to comprehend.  

Even if marriage equality doesn't happen during our lifetime it will happen for those who follow us.  I am glad that Bill and I were able to do our part in furthering this fundamental human freedom of the pursuit of happiness with the one we love.  

It's all good folks, all good.




15 comments:

  1. Ron, I just love reading this. How wonderful!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mark,
      I hope I'm around to congratulate you and Fred on your 48th! :)

      Ron

      Delete
    2. You will both be great grandpas then! I'm going to love SEEING THAT!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Really marvellous, Ron - and a well-deserved recognition. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:21 PM

    Ron, There are lots of people who are not homophobic; you only hear from the homophobic ones. I'm glad you are getting so many positive comments. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne,

      Does my heart good to receive so Manu Likes and positive comments.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. That is wonderful Ron. Out of the shadow and both of you shown around the world. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Finally , my 15 minutes of fame!

      Ron

      Delete
  5. YAYZ! score: 1 - understanding, 0 - bigots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      A lot has changed but there are still a lot of hateful people out there.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. hohoho
    You like to tease me I am the 'celebrity' in blog land, but look who is the star now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My "15 Minutes of Fame" has arrived Dr. Spo! Have you read some of the comments? OMG! Lots of support but some real nasties out there too. You never know what's lurking just beneath the surface. :)

      Delete
  7. This is so exciting. I am just catching up. I scanned through the comments on FB. I was intrigued by the woman who was concerned you were father and son; I guess there is a compliment, of sorts, in there somewhere...at least for one of you. :-)

    Just awesome Ron!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one time, early on in our relationship, Bill was a father figure to me. Actually, he was/is a lot like my father.

      Delete