Monday, December 03, 2012

Another Old Photo Find!

Friends - Army Security Agency Training School - Ft. Devens, Mass - April 1960
Hey folks!  I found another old photo surprise!  You know me and my photos.  Oh yes, my friends, neighbors and relatives know that I can sometimes be a pain with my picture taking and I become discouraged, but it is at times like this when I am glad I am a pain in the ass photographer.

The photo at the top of this blog is of me. Can you spot me? I am the tall guy in the back on the right behind the guy with the cigarette dangling out of his pie hole.  It was taken in the spring of 1960 (April I think) during the time I was attending the Army Security Agency Training School at Ft. Devens, Massachusetts.  This photo was taken during break in one of our classes.

I have some other photos from that same day which I have posted previously to this blog but I haven't seen this picture since I took it fifty-two years ago.  


Where I lived at Ft. Devens, Mass - old World War II barracks

I think I was the only soldier who had a camera (a cheapie Brownie) in our class.  I don't remember anyone else taking photos.  My only regret is that I didn't take more photos.  

There were only two times I took photos.  Once during this class day.  The other time was one of the rare weekends that I spent on base.  Most of my fellow soldiers took off on weekends.  One of the weekends I didn't go home to Downingtown, PA I walked around the base and took random photos.  

Isn't it interesting that in this day and age I doubt if photos would be allowed at any Army Security Agency training facility.  Ah yes, those were indeed innocent times.  Great times too, I had a lot of friends.  We were in it all together.  I think that is what makes our Army the best in the world, the camaraderie between the fellow soldiers.  Those days (from April to October 1960) were some of the best in my life.  

It was all good.





By the way, I learned last month that the World War II barracks we lived in were used to house Italian prisoners of war during World War II.  Those barracks are of course no longer there. Strip malls now occupy those spaces.  History disappeared.  


1 comment:

  1. WOW! and you are still friends with larry today!

    LERVE your holiday house lights banner!

    ReplyDelete