Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Gay Marriage USA




Yesterday my cousin Tim Tipton sent me a message that I should post my and Bill's picture to the new Facebook website "Gay Marriage U.S.A."  I thought "Why not?" Bill and I have been together a long time (48 years) and why not show others that it is possible to stay with the same person you love even if you don't have the many legal and financial benefits of marriage just like heterosexuals have?  Yes indeed, "Why not?"

Imagine my surprise this morning when Cousin Tim calls me and asks me if I saw Facebook this morning. As a matter of fact when he called, I was just turning on my computer to check my e-mail and perhaps to update my blog about my morning visit to have an ultra-sound.  Well guess what folks?  My "little posting" of the Before and After picture of me and Bill went viral on Facebook!  


My first thought was "OMG!  Bill's going to kill me!"  Bill is of the Old School of Thought that things like gay should be kept a secret and not discussed in public or polite society.  Believe me folks, I've been working on him for many years to convince him that it is ALL RIGHT to be open about his gayness and our relationship.  We have had many a battle over my openness and his desire to stay in the closet so as not to "offend anyone."  It's only been the last couple of hears that Bill has stuck his big toe and finally the rest of his feet out of his self-imposed closet.  I think the way I won him over to my way of thinking was convincing him that many people just don't care that we live together.  They are more concerned about their own lives than to waste their time worrying about those two old men who live next door to them who always have those fabulous flowers out in the driveway (I just put in winter pansies yesterday folks!) 

Winter Pansies in driveway

Bill's down in his room now reading the over 27,000 (so far) comments on our Facebook photos. That should keep him busy the rest of the afternoon.

Bill reading FB comments on his iPad a few minutes ago
Hey folks, I have to say this positive reaction to my Facebook posting does my heart good. You have to remember where we're coming from.  When I moved in with Bill in 1964, gay couples weren't cool. In fact, just being gay wasn't cool.  In fact, being gay was against the law.  Man oh man, how far we have come as a country.


Never in our lifetimes did we ever think we could live openly as a gay couple let alone get married....for real.  Nothing against civil unions and individual states legalizing gay marriages, all steps in the right direction but to us, the only thing that matters is getting married for real and that means same sex marriage recognized on the Federal level with all the legal and financial protections that are now applied only to heterosexual married couples.  

Our goal is to be married on our 50th anniversary with is in July of 2014.  At that time I will be 73 years old and Bill will be 86 years old.  Two old guys, two old GAY GUYS but not too old to get married.  

Me and Bill 1978

20 comments:

  1. NEVER too old to get married! LOVE all the pix, BTW!

    "many people just don't care that we live together" - so true. I could live with just my cats and it would be nobody's business but mine. times are changing for the better! smooches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      Did you see where Rev. Fred Phelps, of that homophobe church that pickets military funerals posted a comment on that Facebook page that says Bill and I are "hell bound." I have arrived Anne Marie! Me and Bill are going to hell just for loving one another. Wait a minute, what's wrong with that picture? Going to hell for loving one another? Oh well, I'm glad we upset that hate monger.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Stories like yours need to be told. You are the struggle, from the earliest of days.
    And since we've overcome many hurdles in the last 48 years, it just seems that we'll overcome the rest of them, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I never in a million years would have dreamed that we would have come this far in our lifetime. To get married for real would truly be a dream come true. Better than winning the Powerball!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. This is a wonderful and inspiring post, and I'm glad that your story has gone viral on Facebook (27,000 comments! WOW!!!!!). You've certainly managed to fire a shot that is being heard around the world. I'll bet Bill is astounded at all the positive feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      You can say that again! I am so surprised that we went viral. Didn't plan on that. I only reacted to a suggestion my cousin Tim sent to me in an e-mail. He suggested that I post a picture of me and Bill on that Website which I didn't know even existed. Now I know I have arrived because Rev. Fred Phelps, of that gay hating church even posted a comment that I am "hell bound." Here I come!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. It's brave guys like you who paved the way..... making it so much easier for the younger generations of LGBTQ folks. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddy Bear,


      Yes, you understand. Coming out gay in 1964 and living openly wasn't too cool in those years. In fact it was downright dangerous. I remember one incident when we lived in a ground floor garden apartment in Pennsauken New Jersey and someone through a rock through our kitchen window. Then there was the other time when we moved out in the middle of the woods in Pennsylvania and our homophobe neighbors put their kids (four of them) on our border and yelled "Go away FAGS!" It didn't stop until I called the township police who we didn't know how they would react. But I wasn't going to live that way. Bill was very upset and wanted to ignore it but I couldn't. Thankfully the police arrived and took care of the situation (of course wouldn't the police office have to be a hunk - all in black wearing a form fitting uniform - very distracting) We eventually got a written letter of apology from the kids but they didn't mean it. We eventually moved....again. We're fine now living in a mixed neighborhood in Delaware. Never thought we would get this far in our lifetime.

      It has been quite a journey.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. That is SO COOL!!! Especially that Bill is reading all the comments on his iPad! Just goes to show that gay couples are just ordinary couples like anyone else. Nothing for the homophobes to be afraid of. That is the real message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      Yes, it is VERY COOL!!! Even more so, Bill is loving it although he won't admit it. You said it exactly right, "gay couples are just ordinary couple like anyone else. Nothing for homophobes to be afraid of. That IS the real message" and exactly what I wanted to convey.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. How exciting; I hope Bill sees it as an honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Bill's liking it, which surprises me. Of course I'm loving it, the attention hog that I am. :)

      Ron

      Delete
  7. After reading a little of your blog, I like you guys even more now! May you and your love have a peaceful and joyous holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I hope you and your loved one also have a wonderful holiday season.

      Ron

      Delete
  8. Terrific! Can't wait to read all about your wedding! I assume you already have Mark lined up as photographer! I'm going to look this site up on Facebook now! Ok, I have to go, I've run out of exclamation points...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,

      You better believe that Mark will take pictures at our wedding! I'm just now beginning to read the comments on that FB posting. What I've read so are very interesting. What still surprises me is how upset some people can be just because two men are happy living together. Where does that come from? Are they that insecure? It is sad actually. Thanks again for your comment Walt. Always appreciated!

      Ron

      Delete
  9. As you wrote, your life is nobody's business but for the unsecured ones, the self-rightious ones, they cannot stand it.
    You being happy kills them. They even don't realize that THEY are the ones who are wrong, always pointing fingers while they should turn fingers at themselves. Do more damage Ron and Bill, get married and be ecstatically happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I could not have said it better. I've read some of the comments. Haven't had a chance to read many because I've been working. The good comments warm my heart. Especially the one from a young gay guy who said "Yours is a love story for the ages." Brought tears to my eyes because he was exactly right. Some of the hateful comments actually make me smile. Those poor people, so unhappy that someone else is happy. I can't even bring myself to respond to them, just not worth it. I know what Bill and I have and it is something they will probably never have, real love.
      Thank you for your heartfelt comment Nadege. You are a real friend who cares.

      Ron

      Delete
  10. How exciting! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Longevity, logevity!

      Delete