Friday, December 14, 2012

How Many More Must Die?



Elementary School Corner Ketch, Pennsylvania 1902

There was a day when a seven year old could go to school and not have to worry about being killed by a crazed gunman with an assault rifle.

The photo above is of my grandfather George Lincoln Hadfield's elementary school class.  The class photo of his one room schoolhouse in Corner Ketch, Pennsylvania was taken about 1902. My grandfather was born in 1896 and was about seven years old. He is the serious dark haired boy seated on the left.  

Most of the children in this photo were allowed to grow up and have families of their own.  If my grandfather had died during a school shooting I, of course, would not be here today.  

Thank God assault rifles were not available during his day to adults who were intent on exercising their Second Amendment rights.  Even though our American culture has always worshiped violence, at least children who went to school were safe.


1st Grade Class East Ward Elementary School 1950

As late as 1950, my brother Isaac also attended grade school where he and his classmates did not have to fear that a gunman would take their lives in a random shooting.  My brother is the third child (first boy) from the left in the back row in front of the school door.

Most of the children in this photo of the Downingtown East Ward Elementary School class of 1950 also grew up to have children and grandchildren of their own.  

Unfortunately, twenty children died today.  Their lives snuffed out by a culture that glorifies violence and has a twisted sense of "rights" that the average citizen has the "right" to own an assault rifle.  These children, whose lives ended today, will never grow up, never have their own families, never.  


Children leaving Connecticut grade school today after latest tragedy - 2012

A senseless tragedy.  How many more must die before we come to our senses in this country and put into place sensible gun control laws?



8 comments:

  1. I don't know the answer, ron. how many soldiers must die in stupid-ass wars? when will redumblicans recognize anyone other than white males?

    the NRA owns congress, so nothing will happen regarding gun control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      You are right, the NRA does own Congress, both parties. Nothing will change. Our culture will continue to glorify violence as entertainment.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:31 PM

    I am just beside myself after watching the news coverage most of today. It bothered me to see children being interviewed by the press over and over. What were their parents thinking allowing that? It just makes sick. Hopefully things will change, but I am not holding my breath.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,

      I would like to think things will change in our culture that glorifies violence as entertainment but I doubt it. I just cannot imagine the pain the parents of the children who died are going through now.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. It looks like the NRA calls the shots and I predict that nothing will change. It is such a shame and I am so sorry this tragedy happened.
    I have a friend who committed suicide 1 month ago. He took his riffle and shot himself. Thank God he didn't do "anything crazy". He just couldn't take it anymore. He was 40 years old and was taking anti-depressants. Life is so fragile and humans are really good at screwing up their own life and the lives of innocents victims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I am so sorry to hear that your friend committed suicide. I had a friend who also committed suicide in 1989. She went into her daughter's bedroom and put a gun in her mouth and blew her brains out. If you would have known Alice you would never have believed that she could have done something so violent because she was one of the most gentle people I have ever known. I always felt guilty because she had called me the day before where I worked and left a message for me to call her. That was on a Friday and I was so caught up in work I didn't return her call. Her husband called Sunday and left a message on my answering machine that Alice had killed herself. I thought for sure he was joking. He wasn't. When I saw him at her funeral he told me that she was depressed. She had too much going on at the same time in her life and just wanted "it to end." Mental illness. You are right, life is so fragile. There were a few times when I was depressed but when I thought of ending it all, I thought of her two children at her funeral and how her suicide affected them. I couldn't do that to anyone. What I don't understand is why some people who are mentally ill or depressed feel that they must take out others with them. That I will never understand. I feel so bad for the parents of those children who died yesterday. Their lives are ruined. Such a waste.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron, I think you mentioned Alice before. I think that modern life with its "rat race" is really hard on humans.
    We all work so hard to have a house (filled with junk mostly), new car every three years... competing with the neighbors. It is just too hard and unsustainable for some. Sometimes we blame mental illnesses but it doesn't take much for our brain to overload and "explode". And the sad thing is that after working so hard to get that house... we end up to give it up because we are old and cannot take care of it or become like Bob and Jim. I don't know what the solution is but something has to give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Yes, I mentioned Alice before. We were very good friends. If I was straight, we probably would have been married, we were that close. Alice was very sensitive (as I am) and thus it came as quite a shock to me that she would do something so violent and in her daughter's bedroom. I am not a violent person. If I ever did myself off I would probably get in my car, turn on the engine and close the garage door. I just cannot imagine the pain she was going through to do something so drastic.
      Today Bill and I visited Bob and Jim. It is sinking in to Jim (Bob is out of it) that he they are "warehoused, waiting to die." They both need care at this time in their life. Bill and I will try to visit them as often as we can because I know how lonely it can be. Make each day count. That's what I try to do.
      Ron

      Delete