Wednesday, June 27, 2012

More Ruminations on a Summer Day

Totem poles for sale at Tiki (up the road from Casa Tipton-Kelly)

Hey folks!  Haven't been blogging for a few days.  Did you notice?

Don't worry, the well hasn't run dry.  It's just that there is so much to do.  For one thing I was called into work AGAIN yesterday because my co-worker had a family emergency.  Almost every week she asks me to either switch times with her or work her shift.  I feel like a fireman, I can't plan anything because I'm always expecting a text message from her with her latest emergency.  I understand every family, and I HAVE a family too folks, has emergencies but every week?  I told my boss I would like to work at least one month just my shift.  You know, for a change, a novelty.  He wasn't to encouraging.

I don't mind filling in for my coworkers occasionally but not every week.  I have a life too.  Yep, I sure do.

I write all this knowing that my co-workers read my blog.  Maybe this needs to be said.

The weather the past few days has been absolutely gorgeous!  Man oh man, I could take this kind of weather all summer.  Won't last though.  This morning I felt the humidity creep in our coastal haven.  The heat and humidity are returning this weekend, according to the weather forecasts.  Oh I can't wait.

I work two more days then I have Friday off.  My friend Lar is coming down and we're celebrating his birthday with lunch and some Olde Time Photos.  Yep, all part of my life.

This afternoon I'm attending a viewing for the mother of a good friend of mine.  I'm out of sympathy cards again.  Every year I stock up on sympathy cards for this year's deaths.  Here it is June and I'm out already. Just another facet of being an Oldie Goldie as I am now.  Friends, former classmates, relatives, parents of friends and neighbors....all dropping off with alarming regularity.  Soon it will be my time.  Oh yes, I'm going down that road not too long in the future and I'm all right with that because I won't know anything.

My friend Lar (yes, the same one that is visiting me this Friday to celebrate his birthday) just put his parents (94 and 92 respectively) in a "care facility" or whatever they call nursing homes today.  Hey folks, I'm not going there.  First of all I can't imagine myself being in my 90's.  Then again I couldn't imagine myself in my 70's, which is where I am now.  I never thought I would make it past 60 years of age.  But here I am, an official Old Man.  Actually, it's not too bad other than when I get up in the boring everything seems to ache.  I'm not too ugly yet but getting there.  My brain is still functioning, I think my job helps keep me focused and not degenerate into dementia like my good and longtime friend Big Bob.  But 90 years old?  Can you imagine yourself at 90 and living in a living care facility?  I can't and I won't.  For one thing I'm just too damn fussy.  If I didn't die a week after I enter a nursing home someone would kill me.

So there you go folks.  Another stream of consciousness from your friend Ron.  Got that off my chest.

Have a great day!

10 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly5:43 PM

    whew! let's see:

    you posted the totem photo for dr. spo.

    uh, EVERY WEEK? nope, something fishy there.

    all my windows are currently open. tomorrow they will be closed for the next heat wave.

    have a good time with lar!

    YOU ARE NOT OLD! to me, old is anything over 85. you gotta loooooong way to go, ron! and yeah, I want no parts of a nursing home either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      You know your bloggers! Yes, I posted the totem pole figure for Dr. Spo. Let's see if he notices! Just up Route 1 there is a place called "Tiki Place" and they have a whole collection of totem poles. I thought of Dr. Spo immediately.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Holly9:25 PM

    Learn to say no. Learn to set boundaries. It's hard, take baby steps. Helping out a coworker in a true emergency is one thing but constant emergencies - that person needs to figure it out. It's not your problem to cover her shifts, it's your manager's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly,

      Good advice! I have bumped this up to the manager. As long as I keep saying "yes", she's going to take advantage. I realize that now. It doesn't come easy for me to say "no." Some take advantage. Then I say "NO!"

      Ron

      Delete
  3. The Totem pole is not quite what I had in mind. I will see what else is for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Ooops! I just sent one to you. Uh oh.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    When you have always been a hard worker and someone who cares you often get taken advantage of, because people know you have it in your DNA to say yes and do the job. However, when you've done this for a normal working life and now you work part-time to supplement your Social Security and are no longer seeking a career, it's time to say no more often. You are filling a need and doing it well and the pay is low enough you don't gain a lot by killing yourself with extra hours. But people are going to keep asking until you set the limit and you can only set the limit by refusing the requests more often.


    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry,

      You are exactly right. All my life I've been taken advantage of because of my work ethic and goodwill. However, at this time of my life the more I work the more stress I have and more taxes I have to pay. Plus, my extra effort isn't appreciated. I'm looked upon as a fool. I know that. I'm saying "No" more often now. Not a blanket "No" but I weigh each request. I'm trying to be reasonable without being taken advantage of again.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. I share my blog with everyone. That way, they don't feel as if they are finding out my secrets and have something on me.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,

      You, Dr. Spo, Sean (The Jeep Guy) and Walt (in France) are the only bloggers that I believe. The others I'm not sure of because they are so secretive (no photo of themselves) and so cryptic in their postings. And by the way, all you guys are interesting! I've looked long and hard and I haven't been able to find any other bloggers as interesting as you guys. I'm glad I "discovered" you guys. I have to thank The Cajun because I found all of you through his Blogger List.

      Ron

      Delete