Sunday, June 24, 2012

Bill Gets His Milkshake

Bill gets his strawberry milkshake

All is quiet on this summer's eve as darkness falls upon our humble abode here in Covington Chase, Delaware.

A few minutes ago I saw our neighbor Don's garage door open.  I guess he returned from having Sunday dinner with his friends in Rehoboth.  I feel so sorry for Don every time I see him at his big house across the way.  Don's longtime partner (40 years) Al died a few months ago.  That's tough when you're an older gay man and you're no longer partnered up.  I dread the day if and when Bill departs.  I'm hoping I go first.

There's Don bouncing around that big house over there with no purpose that I can see.  Maybe he does have a purpose, none that I know of anyway.  Don is one of those people who work, work, work and has no outside interests. I wonder how he manages these days.

During these hot summer days I like to take Bill for a ride and get him a milkshake.  Last night I tried a "twofer", killing two birds with one stone.  I stopped down at Panera Bread Co. to stock up on my black bean soup and get Bill a milkshake at the same time.  Of course Panera Bread doesn't do milkshakes.  I got a strawberry smoothie instead.  When I handed it to Bill in the car he said "What's this?"  I told him it was a "smoothie, it's the same."  He said "We'll see."  Guess what folks?  It's not the same.  Bill takes one sip and looks at me and says "Well, it's cold."


I pulled out of the parking lot, and changed the subject.  Occasionally I glanced over to Bill and saw that he was sucking on the straw but he wasn't happy but he wasn't complaining either.  Finally, after he was about half done I said "Let me try it." I took a sip and guess what?  It was good!  Certainly not a milkshake but refreshing.  Sort of like a big healthy slushy.  I finished it off.

This evening, I had a couple of Find a Grave requests in Lewes.  I asked Bill if he wanted to come along.  I told him I would stop at Dairy Queen after I looked for these graves and get his milkshake.  His eyes lit up!  Just like when me and my brothers back in the Fifties after a hot day of weeding corn our father would take us to the local Tastee Freeze for a treat.  Oh my, how good were those days!  Sometimes I got a root beer float and other time I just got a big Tastee Freeze which is just soft custard.  You know, nothing much has surpassed that taste treat since then.

The line at the Dairy Queen in Lewes, DE tonight - it moved fast!


I don't like to drive into Lewes on weekends because the parking is horrendous.  Well, perhaps not horrendous but bad.  Surprisingly enough I found an easy parking slot right outside the Dairy Queen and it wasn't the handicapped spot either.

I go inside and get in line with the beach goers and await my turn.  This Dairy Queen is very well organized.  One line for the orders and you get your number which is called out.  Much like Panera Bread does.  Hey, do you think these food emporiums are finally getting it?  I think so!

I got a LARGE strawberry milkshake for Bill.  I didn't get one for myself because I had not eaten dinner yet.  I'll have my treat later tonight (strawberry shortcake).  As you can see from the photo at the top of this blog I made up for last night.  Bill is happy.  I'm happy.

10 comments:

  1. Mmmm I love strawberry shakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cubby,

      Vanilla milkshake is my shake of choice. Cold and rich. Minimum 1,200 calories.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. anne marie in philly12:46 AM

    yep, smoothies and milkshakes are two totally different animals. strawberry banana smoothies are delicious, and so is a vanilla malted milkshake.

    kohr brothers frozen custard - YUMMY YUM!

    PS - does bill's milkshake bring all the boys to the yard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them both Anne Marie. Especially on hot summer days like we've been having lately.

      Delete
  3. I'm more of a smoothie guy, myself, but sometimes you gotta give the man a shake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I try and stay away from shakes. All they do is add to my spare tire. A smoothie works just as well for me and no extra inches.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Tastee Freez !!!!
    There was one in my mother's home town; I considered it the absolute treat to go there. I like slushes and strawberry sundaes.
    I have not had either in -- I can not remember when.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Tastee Freez is one of my best memories of my childhood years of growing up in Downingtown, PA. Absolutely the best!

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Holly9:31 PM

    If you like orange creamsicles, you HAVE to try Arby's Orange Cream Shake. I know you have an Arby's on the NB side, just south of Lewes. I was in dire need (yes, dire) of a chocolate milkshake last week and the Dover one is closest to where I work. I forgot they just do that jamocha shake thing. But this pre-recorded voice comes over the drive-thru speakers "Would you like to try Arby's new Orange Cream Shake?" "Oh my gawd, YES!!" I went back 2 days later for another one. Would go every day if I could somehow justify the calories to myself, lol. I always get the orange/vanilla softserve twists, so this was the most bangin' shake ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly,

      Orange creme shakes? Oh does that ever sound good! I'll try one! Or maybe two.

      Ron

      Delete