Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sweltering Heat Wave

I took this photo a few minutes ago - see how I'm "enjoying" this heat? Oh man.


Oh my God.  OMG!  Is it ever hot here in good old Slower Lower Delaware.  This is Miami weather.

Heat index 105 with maximum humidity.  I feel like I'm walking in the bottom of a warm pool with the oven door open.  What is going on here?

As regular readers of this superior blog know, I like to include current photos with my blog postings.  Not for me the generic photos that are the realm of the lazy and still in the closet bloggers.  So it was some challenge this morning to venture out our garage door to look for a suitable subject to convey the heat and humidity of this day at Casa Tipton-Kelly.  NO ONE IS OUTSIDE!  Even the birds are keeping a low profile.  I trudged (and "trudged" is the appropriate description of how I walked to the other end of my back yard) to see if there was any insect activity in my perennial border.  Ah ha!  I captured an engineer bee working on my recently bloomed oregano plants. Oh how the insects love my herb plants.  Bill doesn't like them because they don't display big blooms but the insects thrive on them and that's why I plant herbs (lavender, dill, oregano, sage, thyme) in my perennial border.

So back to my Daily Photo.  I looked around and saw no other suitable subject so I go back to.....ME!  Yep, here is a photo of me a few minutes ago wilting under this heat and humidity. And, if I do say so myself, I don't look too bad for a 70 year old geezer on his way out do I?  It's the lighting folks.  A little trick I learned from Joan Crawford.

So here we go folks.  I worked last night at the hotel.  Sold a lot of rooms.  I am working again tonight.  Then I'm off until next Wednesday.  This working two nights a week suits me very well.  Gets me out of the house, gives Bill a little breathing room, reinforces my self-esteem that I still matter in this world and I get to meet a lot of new cool folks.  You would be surprised at the variety of folks who check in our little boutique hotel here in Lewes, Delaware...the First Town in the First State.  Yep, no one else can say that folks and believe me, I saw it a LOT when checking in guests for the first time at our comfy, cozy hotel in downtown Lewes.

I have a little headache now just from that short sojourn outside to take a few photos.  I can't take this heat folks.  I can't breath.  Now I see why they always warn the old folks to stay inside during heat waves like we're having now.

That's about it for now.  I'm on this computer this morning staying cool until lunch time, then a nappy nap before I go to work this afternoon.  And as someone from my past often says when he ends his posting:  "and so it goes".  Or was that Walter Cronkite?

17 comments:

  1. We're sweltering here. too, but after living in Miami for six years, I think I can handle it.
    For a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      This is why I never moved to Florida, I can't take the heat and humidity. Maybe the heat but the humidity strangles me. I can't breath and I get light headed. Dangerous stuff.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ah good old Joan for teaching the tricks....lighting and big BIG shoulder pads!lol
    Stay cool my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slugmama,

      I loved Joan! Bette too! I learned a lot from those gals.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Yes, this is why I was out walking by 7:30 this morning. Beat the bad heat. Then I had to go over to West Chester and Pembrooke for a couple meetings. Yes, just walking across the parking lot was brutal.

    My mother got your card today. That was very nice of you.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      I must be old. I can't stay out in this heat too long. I get light headed. Scary.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Even going to work this morning, it was hot. But I think I'd rather have this than 2 feet of snow. Quality speaking, that's a great photo. I could never take such a good photo of myself.
    Your Friend, m.
    p.s. I think Walter Cronkite said something like "That's the way it is", or something. m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,

      I would rather have this weather than two feet of snow. Are you kidding?

      Thanks for the compliment on the self-photo. It's the first one I took. A little awkward holding the camera. Looks like it worked though.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. anne marie in philly6:51 PM

    yeah, I hate this crap weather too. it's bad for my asthma, esp. if the air quality is in the "unhealthful" range. I'll stay inside in the a/c, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the heat, the HEAT....... I truly want to feel sorry for all the people who have lately been complaining about the heat, BUT - - here in the wilds of West Texas it's already been over 100 degrees for weeks. And summer has only just begun.

    As for photographs - - yes, you do look exeptionally good for an "old geezer" (those are your words, not mine!). Lately, I tend to look my best in a thick fog, when photographed from a distance of about sixty yards........(*sigh*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      When I was a kid (10 years old) I was always attracted to the old geezers in the TV westerns. I'm not surprised that I turned into one. No complaints here.

      We're suffering (me and Bill) with this 90 degree plus weather and the oppressive humidity. We could never get used to this thermidore.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. FYI-"And so it goes." was the tagline for oldtime tv broadcaster Loyd Dobyns. He hosted a weekend news program called "Weekend" back in 1974. He started closing the show with that tagline. Then he teamed up with Linda Ellerbee on another show called Overnight something or other....another news magazine type show. And Linda stole it from Loyd. She wrote an autobiography and titled it, "And So It Goes".
    I know this because I was a rabid fan of both Loyd and Linda when I was a teen. I used to stay up all hours of the night to watch their show.

    I think Walt said something like, "That's the way it is"...or was, I can't recall.
    Not a fan of Walt much...lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. slugmama,

    I remember Linda Ellerbee! Is she still around?

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think she works in news per se anymore Ron. She had breast cancer in the '90's but she's been fine healthwise since then. She started her own production company and she does writing for others now. She's involved in various projects, writes books, speaking tours, etc. and she's been involved in some kid news shows on Nickelodeon channel for many years.
    I always thought Loyd and Linda were very articulate(if not droll and quirky) reporters/anchors. They wrote most of their own copy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always liked them "slug." They were real people.

      Ron

      Delete
  10. You are very handsome. Even when you are wilting : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kaishon,

    I accept all compliments! Thank you!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete