Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Summer Days in Slower Lower

Left - cold  Right - nursed


Summer is upon us folks.  The last week we've been steaming down here in Slower Lower, aka southern Delaware.

I love this time of year!  I love the long days where darkness doesn't descend until 9 o'clock at night.  I love it!

Every evening I take my walk back in Oyster Rocks, the housing development behind where I live.  Just me and the early evening summer breeze.  I don't have to drive ten miles down the four lane Route 1 highway to Rehoboth Beach to mingle with the posers and walk the boardwalk.  I love walking on the boardwalk but I hate the drive and contending with the crazies on Route 1.

I don't remember if I wrote about running into an old high school friend who was dog sitting for one of my neighbors (and former friend) here in my neighborhood.  I hadn't been out to dinner for several months so I asked him if he wanted to go out.  We did.  To a local Italian restaurant which has an excellent reputation.  The only thing I don't like about this restaurant is that the owner occasionally breaks out in operatic arias.

So we enter the restaurant and sure enough the owner is in the midst of one of her arias!  OMG!  What is it with these restaurants that think they HAVE TO ENTERTAIN their patrons?  How about just serving up the food in a quiet atmosphere?  Is that too much to ask?

My friend loves this kind of crap.  But then he's one of these gay guys who likes Broadway show tunes too.  I missed that Gay Card.  I would rather pull weeds than listen to some ham actor belting out Broadway show tunes.  OMG!

We had our meal, Spinach Lasagna.  My friend raved about it, he said that's what he always gets.  So I got it.  It was nothing.  A cheesy mess.  All that Mozzarella cheese is like to much chewing gum to me plus it ties up my innards and constipates me.  I got a glass of Pinot Grigio wine (at $6.50) a glass.  That was good and I got a mild buzz, which was also good.  I also got an iced tea which was the usual tasteless colored water for $2.25 a glass that most of the restaurants down here in Slower Lower pass off as Iced Tea.  Must be a profit maker for them because they all serve the same "tea."

I think I'm about done with local restaurants.  Maybe it's me.  I would rather have some of my homemade potato salad on these hot summer days.  I don't need some big cheesy concoction with overprice colored water.

Guess what?  When I begin a blog post I don't know where I'm going.  I think this one went down the Complaining Road again.  Oh well.

Bill's waiting for me to take him to Lawson's Produce.  He's hot on getting some more flagstone to finish the "London Bridges" entrance way to our driveway.  Don't ask, I'll post a picture when it's finished.

Enjoy this day!

6 comments:

  1. Ron,

    i first saw that picture of the beer cans I thought you went out and had your skinny little legs tattooed.

    And that's the restaurant you say you want to take me to?

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      The picture on this posting was from my friend Tom J. He drinks beer, I don't. I thought the pictures were interesting and expressed summer. The restaurant I suggested that I take you too is a good restaurant but the food servings are too large for me. Maybe enough for you. I just don't eat that much anymore. The beer isn't from that restaurant.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I could do without the opera during dinner, but I've always got room for a good show tune!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    I was thinking about this whole "show tune" thing last week. It's not that I don't like "show tunes." Back in the Fifties some of my favorite movies were musicals. "Singing in the Rain", and all those Jane Powell and Gloria DeHaven movies; I loved them. I think where I soured on "show tunes" was when I saw self-important hams like Bernadette Peters (she of the "thea-tuh" fame) go on and on like what they were doing was IMPORTANT. It's just songs folks, just songs. We have a local "thea-tuh" types here in Gayberry (Rehoboth Beach) who are all full of themselves. I've caught a couple of their shows. Talk about self-importance and overacting. Relax folks and just sing the songs and forget about being discovered.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're enjoying summer. Ours has been interrupted by a series of low pressure systems bringing chilly air and rain. Temperatures in the 50sF. Ugh! We're hoping that summer will actually show up later this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having many beautiful days here in lower Delaware. I think this is the best spring we have had in years, at least in my recent memory. Plenty of sun, rain and mild temperatures interspersed with hot summer days, just enough to make one appreciate the season without being overbearing.

      Delete