Monday, June 18, 2012

Home Saved!


Bill and I brought the land for that home in 1976 and built the home in 1980.  We lived there for twenty-five glorious years until we were forced out by the high taxes of living in Pennsylvania.  That was the main reason why we moved to Delaware.

The twenty-five years we lived in our home on seven acres in East Brandywine Township (four miles outside of Downingtown) we put a lot of work into that property to make it a real Shangri-la. Bill especially put a lot of manual labor into that house.  I did all the landscaping.  We had a regular Longwood Gardens.

When we sold our home in November of 2006 we were hoping that the new owners would take good care of our "baby".  That was not to be.  They did nothing.  After two years they walked away from it and the house and property went into foreclosure.  For two years the house was abandoned.  Bill and I would occasionally visit only to become more depressed as we witnessed the neglect and disrepair.  Last year the vandals started to steal things from the house and property.

This past winter we heard that the house was sold at a sheriff's auction.  The home that I sold for $500,000 (a $100,000 lose for me, another whole story which I've touched on before in previous blog postings but won't go into again here) the new owners bought for $302,000.  That was a buy!  Of course they had a lot of work to do.

One of our former neighbors sent me a Facebook comment (Facebook is good for something after all) telling me that a young couple with a small child was now living at our former home and cleaning it up.  Of course Bill and I wanted to see what was going on.  We waited a few months and yesterday we pounced.

The new owners of our former home in PA - great couple!



We arrived unannounced. They were surprised also to realize they were meeting the man who built the house they are now living in.  They invited us in and we were pleasantly surprised.  Wow, look what they did to the kitchen!  They knocked out a wall and now the whole area flows into the den.  They also took off the tile floor in the kitchen to expose the oak floor beneath.  Bill and I both agreed, we want to live there again!

The new kitchen!



I think Bill is happy with the new owner


Even better than the physical changes was meeting the new owners who were indeed a very nice couple.  They have an 18 month old son who was adorable.  What a home that kid is going to grow up in.  I envy him.  I wish I could have grown up in such a home instead of the second floor apartment in the low income section of Downingtown where my two brothers and I grew up, without our own backyard or land to play on (he played on the railroad tracks out back).

Bill and I are so relieved.  This is the couple we were hoping would take our "baby."  They have a lot of work to do yet but they realize that they got a good buy and that the home is solid with an excellent location.  He said his uncle told him he was "crazy" if he didn't buy it because all the neglect and overgrown shrubbery was only cosmetic.  The basic were good which is what Bill and I knew but apparently many prospective buyers couldn't see past.

Me with the new owner - you know I had to get a photo of me in here didn't you? :)


We visited for about two hours and Bill promised to help them to get the lights working on the 500 foot driveway again.  I promised to send them pictures of our home before it was abandoned two years ago and was almost destroyed by neglect.

We are so happy and I'm happy for this couple because they now have a fabulous home and they know it.  Also, Bill can continue to visit his old home because he will help them out with their electrical questions.

It's been a long time since Bill has been this happy - here is is at the entrance to our former home
Yes folks, yesterday was a good day.  Very good.

16 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you, Bill and this young Family. When I visited the property, I could tell that it was once beautiful and could be again. I'm glad you feel confident that they can do that. I don't see a photo of the kitchen that you write about above.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,

      Check my blog again. I added a picture that I took of the now open kitchen with the oak wood floor. When you're up in October for the reunion, we will have to visit this family. You'll be impressed with what they did with the house so far. I just wish you could have seen the inside before they made the changes. What a difference!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. What a great story...and what lucky new homeowners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      This is a story with a happy ending. Bill and I had a paradise at our previous home. We were so depressed when we saw it go downhill when it went into foreclosure. We are both so glad this fine family is rescuing this beautiful house at the perfect location. This home will sing again!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. anne marie in philly6:57 PM

    WOW! so happy for you and bill, but also for the new owners. they look like good people who appreciate craftsmanship. and who are young enough to put down roots and stay awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      This is a good story with a happy ending! I wish you could have seen the house before. We're especially glad because this is a wonderful couple with a sweet little boy. He will grow up in a wonderful home and have many fond memories when he is my age. Bill and I are both very happy.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I do think Bill is pleased!
    I bet he didn't even mind you taking his picture this time.lol

    Good times....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slugmama,

      Yes, Bill is definitely pleased. He didn't even mind me taking his picture!

      Ron

      Delete
  5. I know Bill must be happy; he doesn't appear often in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Yes, Bill is VERY HAPPY. He didn't even mind me taking his picture. The last couple of years have been very hard on him watching his "baby" go downhill from neglect and vandalism. This couple that we met Sunday are wonderful. We could not have chosen a better couple to rescue our former home.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. That's wonderful! And how nice are they to welcome you in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,

      We are VERY HAPPY that such a nice couple rescued our former home. It was a beauty when we lived there. They are restoring it after a couple of years of neglect. This is good for everyone. We could not have asked for a better couple.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. What a great story! So glad that it had a happy ending, and in a way a new beginning too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,

      This is a great story. If you could have seen what a wonderful home we had before the owners walked away from it and it was abandoned for two years, falling to neglect, you would realize that a wonderful ending (or beginning) this is. Bill and I are so happy. We always considered our home like our child. We're glad it has new, wonderful parents now.

      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron,

    Hmmm, well I was visiting my old home today -- alone, totally alone, looking at the enormity of the job ahead of me. You need to catch up on my posting. You're about 8 behind. I changed the format some, took out the blinking notices up top.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      I was wondering what happened to you. Thanks for taking some of the content off of your blog, it was hard to bring up. Kept skipping and rolling, took too long to read and very hard to make a comment. I'll catch up on your blog postings tomorrow at work.

      Ron

      Delete