Thursday, June 28, 2012

Life's Lessons



Okay folks, here are a few nuggets of wisdom that I have accumulated since I made my debut as a newly minted young baby boy on this planet in November of 1941, one month before World War II..

I have listed these tried and true pearls of lessons learned in no particular order.  There are the lessons of life that I have learned in three score and ten years of my life so far. I guarantee you that if you apply these lessons to your life you may be just as happy as I am now.
  • Aim high.  You might not always achieve your goal but you will end up a lot higher than you ever dreamed.
  • Don't let the bastards get you down.  There will always be somebody who is jealous, envious or just plain mean who will try and bring you down.  Do not pay attention to them.  Pity their sad lives and go on with your life.
  • Always, but always treat eveyone kindly and with respect, especially the elderly, children and animals.
  • Never, but never attempt to get even or revenge.  It will always come back to bite you in the ass.
  • Always do your best whether it be at your job, hobby or keeping house.  You will be rewarded many times over.
  • Stand by your principals even if they differ from your friends, relatives and those in authority.  They will have more respect for you if you do and none if you don't.
  • Always be willing to offer to help but not enable.  There is a difference.
  • Be generous, even if others do not repay your kindness. 
  • If someone doesn't like you, and there will be those, part company.  If you don't you will only continue to annoy that person and frustrate yourself more.  These people need to find their own path even though it's not with you.  Don't waste your time (and theirs).
  • Always, but always question authority.  Just because someone is in authority doesn't mean they know more than you do.  It probably means they are slicker than you in getting to that position.  They are not smarter or nicer than you. 
  • Don't fret over mistakes that you make.  We all make them.  Learn from your mistakes and try not to repeat them.
  • Be unafraid to state your opinion. Someone will always disagree with you whatever opinion you have.  That doesn't mean your wrong.
  • Stand your ground.  Run only when you're outnumbered.
  • Be happy with the body that you were born with and take good care of it.  Your kindness and generosity will outshine any bodily defects and make you more attractive than the most perfect model.
  • Find the good in any bad situation you find yourself in.  Adversity will make you stronger.
  • Be thankful for all the good things that you have in life.  Do not take anything for granted.
  • Always remember that there are two kinds of people in life.  The Good People and the Weasels.  The Good People will always outnumber the Weasels.  The Weasels will never change so keep  your distance from them. The Weasels will only use you and discard you when there is nothing left.
  • And finally, make the most of every day you are granted life.  We all are serving a death sentence.  While some of us live longer than others, we all have the opportunity no matter how long or short time we have on this earth to make a difference.  We are all given that opportunity.  Take it.
And that my friends is the Purpose of Life - making a difference.



Notice that I haven't said anything about LOVE.  Love yourself and others and they will in turn love you.  That's the way it works.  Don't waste your time hating.  It will only bring you down.  Love begates love.

4 comments:

  1. Your words of wisdom are superb, and they are definitely words to live by. I'm going to keep a copy of them for reference.

    The photo of the hydrangeas remind me of my grandmother's house when I was a small child. She had hydrangeas everywhere (and morning glorys and snapdragons).

    As for the wooden tiki - -one time long ago my father bought a wooden tiki in Mexico. He had it in our front yard for several years and eventually somebody stole it! Not an easy task, since it was large and heavy.

    One more bit of unrelated trivia - - when I was in my early 20's in Southern California my favorite gay bar was the Tiki Hut in Garden Grove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      Thank you. My words of wisdom are straight out of my head from my many years of living experience. They work, I know.

      I think Tiki is a cool name. Never been to a Tiki Hut though. My favorite bar of all time was the Westbury Bar in Philadelphia, PA. Some really good memories from that place. In fact, all good.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. anne marie in philly5:40 PM

    mine is: do your own thing, march to the beat of your own drum, make your own kind of music; adopt a "who gives a fat rat's ass if someone gets offended/hates you/disapproves" attitude (or as we say in philly - addytood). you only live once, baybee (or, in my case, twice)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent advice Anne Marie! I subscribe wholeheartedly. Must me the "Philly Boy" in me coming out.

      Delete