Saturday, June 16, 2012

Father's Day 2012

Young Ike Tipton (not a mug shot but an employee ID for Lukenweld Steel)


My father would have been 92 years old this year.  He died August 22, 2000.  He was 80 years old when he died.  He died of lung cancer.  He smoked all his life.  He was told to stop smoking but he never did.  Stubborn to the end, that was my father.

I normally don't post anything on Father's Day just as I never did much to celebrate Father's Day when my father was alive.  We weren't that close.  I was the oldest of this three sons.  I fit the gay stereotype in that I had a distant relationship with my father and a close relationship with my mother.

Since I was 22 years old I have been in a 48 year relationship with an older man (13 years my senior) who in many ways was like my father.  In fact, when my father was alive my partner/spouse/whatever and he were very close.  They were buddies, on the same wave length.  Ironic, no?

I decided today to post a photo montage as a tribute to the man who brought me into this world (as he often reminded me which he finished with "and I can take you out."  Oh yes, he did say that on more than one occasion when we had a disagreement).

Before you view the photos here is a little of his background.  He was born near Pigeon Roost, North Carolina.  He was the fifth son of a total of 12 sons (no daughters) of my paternal grandparents Fieldon Jacob Tipton and Hester Lewis.  My grandparents and father (and uncles) were Appalachian Folk or what is more commonly known as "hillbillies."  My grandfather Fieldon moved his family from the mountains of western North Carolina in 1930 to southeastern Pennsylvania to work as field workers at his brother-in-law Don Byrd's farm in New Garden, Pennsylvania.  Many of the mountain families moved to southeastern Pennsylvania during the Depression to find a better life for their families.  My father met my Mother when he was 19 years old on a double date (he was the other date).  About a year later they eloped to Elkton Maryland (my Mother was still in school and only 16 years old) and got married November 2, 1940. I was born almost one year later on November 9, 1941.

The following is a photo history of my father, Isaac "Ike" Tipton:

My dad liked to play guitar and sing hillbilly music - another Hank Williams - 1938
Ike Tipton still strumming away on his guitar at his first home after he married my Mother




Isaac Walter Tipton, Sr. - tall, blonde, handsome, charming - Ladykiller



Mom, Pop and me (a few months before I was born) - 1941
Pop, Me (the chubby baby) and Mom in Mineral Springs, PA - 1942 - I have arrived


Me with Pop (far right with my hand on his shoulder) and my two brothers John and Isaac, Jr.


Pop (tall man on right in back) with 9 of his 10 brothers) - 1961




Pop with the love of his life - my Mom - 1960


Pop with my two brothers John and Isaac - 1960

Pop and Mom - with his ever present cigarette 
John, me and Pop - 1962
Pop with his dog Pepper, Mom and me  - 1972

Pop making his famous vegetable soup recipe with veggies from his own garden - 1978
The last time I saw Pop  a few weeks before he died August 2000 

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting post. You are lucky to have all the photos you do. This is a good memorial to your father and your family in general. It's great your parents had such a loving relationship. I sure do envy your own long-term personal relationship with your partner, I wish I had had one like that. I would say you've had a good life to this point. I'm new to your blog, I guess I need to do some back reading. I'm interested to know how you and your partner came to be in such a relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian,
      Welcome to my blog! You're right, I have had a good life "to this point." I hope it continues to be good but I am concerned that it will get messy at the end. I hope not. I hope when my time comes, it is quick and painless.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. A touching tribute to your father and some really fantastic photos. Your father was good-looking. He also seemed very affectionate with your mother. My father was never affectionate with anyone.
    Ironically, my parents also eloped to Maryland when they got married in 1949.

    I've never written a Father's Day tribute on my blot - too many painful memories (although it's tempting).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      My father was very handsome and very charming in person. He could literally charm the pants off of any woman. He also had that child-like quality combined with a masculinity that attract women. He was also very well-endowed in addition to being very tall which is a sure-fire attraction. Yes, he was very affectionate with my Mother and loved her very much. I never heard them argue once. But like your father, my father was never affectionate with me or my brother Isaac. He did like my youngest brother though which made me very jealous when I was growing up. I hated my younger brother. Ironically, now we're best friends.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    So your dad was born two months after my mom (June 21, 1920) and was a couple years younger than my dad (1918).

    Boy, you were a fat baby!

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      Yes, I was a Pudge Baby. My Mother fed me a lot of milk. I stopped drinking milk when I was a teenager because I was getting BIG. Both my brothers weigh closed to 300 pounds. I weigh 165, about half of what they weigh. I wasn't going to go that route.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. You have a good looking family Ron, a big family. Your dad and mom made a beautiful couple. He lived a long life for smoking that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I was always proud of my father and mother. My mother rarely wore makeup but she always looked beautiful. Pop smoked his whole life. The last ten years of his life he coughed a lot. His doctor always told him to stop smoking which he never did. I watched him suffocate to death because of his smoking. The last two weeks of his life he was in a great deal of pain and mostly drugged up to lessen the pain. A horrible way to go. I stopped smoking July 15, 1967. My one big accomplishment in life!

      Ron

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the post; nevertheless. thank you for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,


      Thank you, your comments are always appreciated. I wonder what you would have thought of my father if you had the opportunity to have a session with him. He was a complicated man.

      Ron

      Delete