Saturday, July 02, 2016

Hummingbird Lane



This morning while transplanting a veronica speedwell plant at the end of our driveway, a humming bird almost bumped into me.  Initially I wasn't sure what just zoomed past me, a giant moth?  Then I looked and there he/she was, taking an early morning breakfast among the vast colorful array of our driveway flowers. Folks, this is what life is all about to me these days.  I just enjoy the simple things these days.

This weekend is the Fourth of July weekend here in our coastal resort.  You gotta know we're fighting that traffic.  Solid rows of vehicles headed south to Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, and other beach destinations.  Great weather this weekend. I'm happy for all the visitors.  I am especially happy for all the money they leave in our beautiful region but I have to tell you folks, I stay away from that mess.

As some of you may know, I work two days a week a bed and breakfast in Lewes, Delaware, Mondays and Thursdays from 3 PM to 11 PM.  Guess what?  This year I am working The Fourth. Yep, I'm going into that mess.  Lewes has several events going on The Fourth, including the Doo Dah Parade just when I'm due to go into work at 3 PM.  Our hotel has a parking lot and warnings about cars illegally parked there that would be towed away.  What do you want to bet there will cars be parked their illegally?  Yep, we've never towed any cars away.  Just have the warning.  I'll probably have Bill to drive me in and pick me up. Oh the joys of working during a summertime holiday.

Then after my shift on Monday, I have to prepare for a colonoscopy on Wednesday.  


Oh yes, the joy of the "prep" for the procedure.  Basically, I drink a God awful concoction the night before to clean me out for a tube with a camera to be inserted into my anal regions.  The other bad part is that I can't eat anything the day before the procedure. The only good part is when I'm knocked out (anesthetized) prior to the procedure.  That's always "fun."  Actually, it is. The last time I had this procedure, I videotaped me drinking the God awful concoction.  I'm not sure if I'll go that route this year.  Decision to be determined.  I'll just be glad when this whole procedure is completed and I can coast awhile without any doctor appointments.
Where I can spend my days videotaping humming birds feeding from our flowers. 

Ah, life is good.

10 comments:

  1. I like the video - that hummingbird is having a great time.
    It's too bad that you'll have to work on the hectic holiday - but I'm glad Bill can drive you there. He's more courageous than I am. Good luck with the colonoscopy!
    That cartoon is funny - especially the nurse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I am dreading the preparation for this colonoscopy. Just something else I have "to get through." Always something it seems these days.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. We have lots of hummingbirds here; they can be quite ferocious.
    I was once told I have the brains like a hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I'm surprised that hummingbirds proliferate in your arid climes. You have the brain like a hummingbird? Why would anyone think that? Short attention span? Easily bored? You! Nah!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Yes, got the pleasure of driving South as far as Smyrna yesterday afternoon. Not too, too horrendous. Slowed to a crawl around Townsend for no apparent reason. Glad we were heading North in the evening to go home. Solid lines of traffic on all lanes of Rt. 1 Heating down state Don't know where they put all those beachgoers.

    When I was a little boy in Downingtown, I had a Hummingbird come up and feed on the flowers hanging on my grandmother's front porch. Scared me. I went streaking. I though it was a giant bee!

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I have to admit I was a bit startled when that hummingbird whizzed past me. "Swoop!" However, I quickly regained my composure.
      Ron
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron - always love the cartoons you put in your blog - they complement your tales so well. So two big events to get thru. Working the holiday and colonoscopy. I have a feeling which one you'd most rather do without. But I hope you enjoy that gentle drifting off as a kind of reward for all that incredible prep!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      You're right on all accounts! Especially the "gentle drifting off" as a kind of reward for all that incredible prep, which I am dreading big time.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Good luck, maybe go in extra early - by 11:00 PM traffic should be thinned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Oh no, the traffic won't be thinned out. OH no. I'll just have Bill drive me in and drop me off. I'm not taking any chances of not finding a parking slot.
      Ron

      Delete