Thursday, July 14, 2016

The Heat Is Back!



Well, that was nice.  We had a few days' reprieve of the heat and humidity.  But that is over now.

I got up this morning and rounded the corner to the kitchen and saw my wall of windows steamed up.  The humidity has returned!



When I was young I don't remember being bothered this much by the heat and humidity of summer.  With temperatures reaching 97 degrees today, I have difficulty breathing.  All those warnings about old people staying in during heat wave like this, I'm there folks at 74 years of age.




So how is summer going for me so far?  Great!  The only obligations I have are two doctors' appointments next month.  One appointment is with my dermatologist and the other a followup for my colonoscopy.  Then Bill and I have to get our drivers' license renewed next month. 

At the end of the month I take my annual trip to Toronto to visit my pal Pat.  

I am very much looking forward to both the Republican and Democratic conventions.  I started to follow the conventions back in 1956!  I was hooked then when I watched the floor fight at the Democratic convention when Adlai Stevenson asked the delegate to pick his vice presidential candidate.  A young, unknown Massachusetts senator almost won the Democratic vice presidential nod.  His name was John F. Kennedy.

A young John F. Kennedy with Hubert Humphrey t the 1956 Democratic Convention - the first convention I watched on TV


A Tennessee senator, Estes Kefauver eventually won after a vigorous and exciting floor fight. 


Kefauver with former president Harry Truman and Adlai Stevenson at the 1956 Democratic Convention


 Except for the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago, there hasn't been much excitement at either conventions.  They both have been basically infomercials for the already selected candidate.  But this year with the Fraudster in Chief; Donald J. Trump, about to pull the biggest con job in the history of this country, the Republican Convention should be quite a show.

See, it's his real hair!


 I have to admit I have enjoyed The Donald Show but him as president?  I don't think so.  Of course Hillary Clinton doesn't inspire much excitement either and the prospect of Bill Clinton

Clinton smoking THAT cigar!


sleazing around the White House again causes me to cringe, at least she will appoint progressive members to the Supreme Court.  I just can't imagine who Trump would appoint.  But here I go on a political rant which I have tried mightily to refrain from in this blog but I am looking forward to the shows at both conventions.  I just saw a scroll on the TV that Trump's family is going to be on the speaking list at the convention.  Oh how will I ever be able to sleep until the convention?

Okay folks. I'm off to replenish my bird baths now.  Those birds sure do use up the bird baths on hot days like this. 

Stay cool wherever you are!



13 comments:

  1. 'Stay cool' again! How can we when, this weekend, forecast is that our temps might even top seventy? Repeat - SEVENTY! We'll be positively wilting - though I fear not quite as much as you are! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Are you rubbing it in the ridiculously mild weather you're having? Oh you wait.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron - Love the dog and fan. Weather has been a little like yours but I don't think quite as bad. However, I am lucky as the heat doesn't bother me. I acclimatize (or acclimate?) to what's going on. But on some evenings I go to bed with the oscillating fan on. Glad you have the AC in your house and vehicle. And I also really really hope that the weather is pleasant when you arrive here later this summer.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I like the dog and fan picture too, it's the second time I've posted it! I'm alright with the higher temperatures, it's the humidity I have a problem with. I feel like I'm smothering. When I was young (a long time ago), the heat and humidity didn't bother me like it does now. You're right, it's what we become acclimatized to.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Hi Ron
    LIke you we have no time for Donald Trump here in New Zealand. As you rightly say the opposition is underwhelming. Freezing cold here at the moment. All the best for Toronto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Paul! It's been a long time. New Zealand is still on my bucket list to visit. I keep forgetting, you're in winter now aren't you?
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I think the first presidential conventions I ever saw were the ones in 1968. I also remembering watching Robert Kennedy's Los Angeles speech in June, right before he was shot. I turned the TV off before he was shot and went to bed because I had to get up early for school.

    It's been around 90 here with intense humidity. The other night I thought I would pass out. I had to sit out on the front porch for an hour until it cooled down. It rained again today.
    I just checked the weather where I used to live in West Texas and it was 108 degrees yesterday. I don't miss it.
    That's a classic photo of Bill Clinton. He looks like an hombre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I remember very clearly the night Bobby Kennedy was shot. I was working for his campaign. My friend Alice and I worked at Girard Bank in center city Philadelphia across the street from City Hall. After work we volunteered to work for the Kennedy campaign. We only had to walk across the street to the building where the Kennedy campaign headquarters were. We were making phone calls urging registered voters to vote. Then someone came into the room and announced "Bobby's been shot!" We were all in shock. The phone calls stopped. We were sent home shortly thereafter, still in shock. To this day I have to worked in another campaign of either party. That was my one time volunteering. I'll never forget it.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I hear that Bill has volunteered to oversee the White House Intern program. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in the riot of the 1972 Nixon Republican Convention in Miami Beach. I had no idea of any convention. I was there to go to a gay bar and laid! I have never been so scared. Hundreds and hundreds of people were running, the helicopters with spot lights shining and lines of police, each one with German Shepard police dogs. Never did get laid that night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. grouchy,
      There's nothing like a riot to interrupt the best laid plans of getting laid.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. you are braver man than I to watch national conventions, especially the Trump convention. I rely on you to tell me what happens.

    ReplyDelete