Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Larry's Birthday in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware 2016




Once a year I visit Rehoboth Beach in the height of the summer season.  As a local (ten years now), I avoid Rehoboth Beach from Memorial Day until after Labor Day. Yep, I give it up. Even though I only live ten miles straight up the road (Route One), from Rehoboth Beach, I do not go into Rehoboth.  Just too much traffic.  Like slow molasses trying to drive into Rehoboth Beach.

The one time I visit is when I take my long time friend Larry Meredith out for lunch for his birthday, which was yesterday, June 27th.  

Three years ago I started the tradition of getting our old time photo taken and then taking Larry to lunch. We didn't do the old time photo today, we did that last month when Pat was down.  But we did do lunch.  

One of the requests I make of Larry though is that he drive.  I just cannot take that traffic.  

Traffic wasn't too bad today.  Probably because it was an overcast day with the threat of rain.  However, Rehoboth was still plenty crowded but at least we weren't elbow to elbow people.


Both of us had trouble walking today. Well, we're both in our middle 70's. However, we did have a good day. We'll do it again next year!

9 comments:

  1. I know Larry looks forward to this every year. Having a friend as thoughtful as you defintely is a bonus at any age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      Larry an I have been friends for a LONG time. We meet in third grade, had a 36 year estrangement when I came out gay in 1965 (he thought I had a "disease", my Mother thought the same thing), and then we reconnected when he lost his job in 2001. HIs Mother brought us together again. I'm so glad we have renewed our friendship.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Well, happy birthday to Larry! It was so nice of you to take him to lunch on his B Day - but I agree with you about hating the traffic. On that first video I was afraid one of those cars would hit you guys. The lady on the second video was funny when she took your pictures (or, rather, video).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Larry and I aren't as nimble as we used to be back in our wasted youth.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Hey Ron - glad you and Larry did the traditional birthday event. Loved seeing Rehoboth. I look forward to visiting it there with you again and doing the tourist thing. And of course we still have to visit BJ's, Food Lion, Home Depot and Walmart LOL. But I really enjoy being there with you in your neck of the woods. And getting to meet your friends and co workers and the restaurants we love to haunt.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat! We missed you! Next year you have to stay longer. Your visit was way too short this year.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful tradition for Larry's birthday and you are a good friend. The older I get, the more traffic there seems to be and the less I can deal with it. But when the ultimate destination is the beach and lunch, it's worth the stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunshine,
      You are exactly right! The older I get the more I have problems dealing with the traffic. Thank goodness Lar is a good driver and doesn't mind driving. He started driving when he was 16 years old. I didn't start until my 40's. It shows.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. many happy returns to him.

    ReplyDelete