Wednesday, July 27, 2016

My Day at the DMV



Fun time at the DMV

Early this morning Bill and I left Casa Tipton-Kelly for the Delaware DMV.  

Our Delaware drivers' licenses need to be renewed.  

I've been dreading this day.  Just another day "to get through."  

The one good thing, in Delaware we can renew our drivers' licenses for eight years.  That should take us out to The End.  Yep, at 75 years old (me) and 88 years told (Bill), we're in the Last Act folks.  As Bill Clinton said last night at the Democratic Convention "We have more yesterdays than tomorrows."  

So, this morning, just as the oppressive heat and humidity was laying its heavy hand on us, we headed down Route One.  Through the circle in Georgetown, turning south on Rt. 113 looking for the Delaware DMV.  Folks, it's not easy to get into the DMV.  

After a false turn (we were in the Del Dot parking lot), we figured out how to get into the DMV.  Right away I noticed that the parking lot outside the DMV was . . . . . . EMPTY.  

Sure, we were early at 8:45 am.  I figured the DMV opens at 9:00 am, but NO vehicles in the parking lot?  

I called the DMV information number.  Here is the message:

"The Delaware DMV is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday."  

Uh huh.  I came the day they are closed.  Good timing Ron!

Not a wasted day though.  Time to make lemonade out of a lemon.  We went to BJ's. 



9 comments:

  1. Ron,

    It was closed? The DMV offices up here open late on Wednesday, noon to 8:00 PM. It is the one day for people who can't make it up early. In fact, Laurel went to the DMV today and got her car inspected.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      You're right on those hours. When we went back I checked and we could have went back in the afternoon.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ah, the joys of a low tax state, fewer government services.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David.
      Actually, the Delaware DMV is WAY better than Pennsylvania's ever was and PA is a high tax state. Our roads are better too. Pretty good for a low tax state.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron, there's a short TV series on here featuring 100-year-old (and above) drivers. I haven't watched it but it makes me uncomfortable as the obvious purpose is to show how 'funny', as well as how dangerous, they can be. The very fact that they've submitted to be filmed while driving strikes me as odd - but no doubt they'll be getting paid more than adequately. I can't see you agreeing to participate in such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Bill is a good driver and still is. But I know the day will come that he will no longer be able to drive because of his age. Right now we just need to get him some new glasses and take that eye exam again to gain a few more years.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. My mother drove until 5 weeks before she died. She as 92. She used to take tests (voluntarily) to get lower insurance rates for her good driving. She stopped taking me to the airport to come back to NC when she was 90. But she never missed any of her bridge club dates.
    I must admit, I look twice at big old cars like Lincolns or Mercury, Cadilac. And, if they drive with their bright lights on at night, keep and eye on them as well. Most of the old people here are afraid of buying new cars because of the new technology. What good is a rear camera if you can't see that good or a voice notification from you dash computer if you can't hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. grouchy,
      I know of other people who continued to drive safely into their 90's. I hope Bill will be one of them. He's a good driver, he just needs a new pair of glasses now. Hopefully we can resolve that issue soon.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I think DMV maybe be one of Dante's levels of hell in The Inferno.

    ReplyDelete