Monday, July 25, 2016

TRAPPED!




This morning, as I returned from my early morning walk, I entered our garage as usual.  Like most folks, we don't use our front door, we enter our house through our garage.  

As I entered the door to the kitchen I heard a loud BANG!!!!!!!!!

Oh God, what now?  I asked Bill to check it out.  He checked and came back with bad news.  Our garage door spring has sprung!  Here we go.

The last time we had something like this happen was back when we lived in Pennsylvania.  I had just purchased a brand new Subaru Forester.  The year was 1996.  I drove my sparkling new red Subaru Forester into our garage.  Got out of the car and walked in the house.  Just as I closed the door I heard a loud "BANG!"

I turned around and I saw the driver's side window BROKEN!  WTF?  Also, scratches all along the right side of the car.  

I walked around the car trying to figure out what happened and then I found a large spring.  Yes, the garage door spring had broken and crashed into my BRAND NEW CAR!

I didn't even have my car an hour and I had to take it to local auto repair for window replacement.  Cost, $500 deductible. Nice.

Thank goodness this spring didn't damage my car ........ or me!  

Another day, another crises.  Bill gets so upset when these things happen.  First thing I have to do is calm Bill down.  Then I check Angie's List before I make a phone call for repair.

I found the original installers.  They have a good rating on Angie's List so I make the phone call to get a price and arrange to have it fixed.  They'll be out tomorrow.  

Problem, I'm scheduled to go to work today at the hotel.  Can't get out of my garage.  Bill and I tried to life the double garage door but at 87 years old and me a "young" 74", that door is just too heavy.  

I called the assistant manager at the hotel and asked if I could switch shifts with the other part-time front desk agent.  She called the other agent and got back to me.  Yes, the switch can be made.  

Another day, another challenge.  

Some bloggers lead a dull life folks, not this blogger.  








11 comments:

  1. Ron - I'm not sure, but I think something can be installed with or within the spring so that, should it break, it won't go flying and possibly damage a car (or person!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,
      I'll be sprung free tomorrow when the repair person arrives to replace the spring.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Good Gawd, Ron - the problems never end (I know from experience). It's very fortunate that the broken spring didn't cause any damage - to a vehicle or especially to a person. It could be lethal!

    It's a shame about what happened to your brand new car in 1996. Talk about rotten luck and incredible irony! My parents had a broken garage door spring once. It happened very long ago but I still remember the big BANG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I heard a big BANG! just as I was entering the house from the garage. Thank goodness this time the spring didn't fly around the garage like a loose rubber band. Dangerous! Potentially lethal. I'm so tired of one problem after another. Now the incredible heat Today the temperatures reached 97 degrees and the humidity, and you know this, is lethal. I can't stay outside more than a few minutes.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. One of my biggest fears. I was told by a service person if my spring breaks, it cannot be replaced. It is so old it doesn't meet code anymore.

    Don't leave any kids in the car! It's HOT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. grouchy,
      Hope you don't have to have your garage door replaced! That could be expensive. This morning our garage door was fixed for $200. Not a bad price. Now for the next thing to go out.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Hi Ron, Just getting back to blogger, I did a brain puke post yesterday. It seems to be very difficult after the passing of our friend Jay. Anyway I guess that's the way life is, either boring or exciting! Those kind of springs just make a loud bang usually when they go. The dangerous ones are the kind that are mounted along the door tracks. If one of those go could whack you up side the head very badly. I have one just like it only a matter of time before it goes too. I've lived in my 80 year old house now of 14 years, things are starting to need to be replaced. I'll try to get on blogger more, but it seems Facebook takes up more of my time. You and Bill have a great week. Randy in NEB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you again Randy! I had one of those other kind of garage door openers that had the spring on the track. Good thing I wasn't in the garage when it sprung! This one I heard and it was LOUD! This morning it was fixed for $200. All is well now until the next thing goes out.
      Have a great day Randy!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. It is a good day to be trapped inside, with the air conditioning. I had one of those break once, as I was opening the door to leave on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron,

    Ain't this getting tiresome, one thing going bad after another? I'm sure your as tired of fixing things as I am. Thank Goodness you were not injured.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  7. This happens to ours every few years; I daresay it is the heat that gets to them.
    It is a nuisance indeed.

    ReplyDelete