Monday, July 18, 2016

Open Carry

OH YEAH!  This is where I want to be, out in public with a Second Amendment Righter like this

Folks, can we talk here? 

Something has been bothering me a lot.  It's these absurd "Open Carry" laws.  This is the law of thirty-one states that permit gun owners to openly carry their firearms.



Now I realize that my rant blog postings aren't my most popular postings (witness my last blog posting about "Pet Peeves.")  But this subject is one that I have to scream from the mountain top that is: 

STUPID!!!!

What is this all about?  Why carry a gun in the store?  


Oh I know all about the "Second Amendment Rights" but seriously folks, even those of you who subscribe to carrying your AR-15 to Walmart, would you feel comfortable at a public event with your children standing next to a doofus with his AR-15 automatic rifle slung across his round shoulders?  REALLY?

Demonstrating for their "rights"


It's been interesting to watch the Cleveland police chief defend the right of gun owners to carry their automatic rifles over their shoulders ("it's the law") while banning these items at the Republican Convention.



Yes folks, beer cans, tennis balls, and rope are banned near the Republican Convention site but GUNS ARE NOT. 

Yeah, and it shouldn't be

We all know that the NRA owns many of our lawmakers.  The NRA tells those legislators to turn around, bend over and grab their ankles and those spineless legislators cowardly comply. 

What's wrong with this picture folks?  

Just what we need, kids with automatic rifles

I don't know about you folks but in today's environment of mass shootings, why is this a law?
Are those legislators so cowardly and venal that they would endanger the whole public just so the NRA wouldn't go after them?  

When I was growing up I was taught that people in authority knew what they were doing.  That is a person was elected to a public office they were there to PROTECT us.  HA!  It seems that many them are only there to serve the interests of whoever owns them.  Be they the one percent of the one percent who contribute to their campaigns or the NRA who holds the threat over those legislators' heads that they will go after them.  

We are the only country in this world that has more guns than people.  We are the only country in the world that has these stupid gun laws that permit just about anyone to carry an automatic rifle in public.  And speaking of automatic rifles, why?  Their only purpose is to kill people.  They belong in the military, not with kids to brandish about in public.

Bubba and Doofus display their power

Even my state, Delaware, which I have often considered progressive and logical minded, has an open carry law.  

The last time I had a rifle in my hands was in 1962 when I did my annual rifle qualification while I was in the Army at Ft. Meade Maryland.  I've never felt the need to have a gun in my possession since.  I don't kill animals.  I depend on my local police force to protect me against criminals. That's what they're paid for.  

I would never in a million years have a gun in my house. Mainly because that gun would probably be used against me or be the cause of a fatal accident.  On that extremely rare occasion should you have a home invasion, a baseball bat is your best defense.  In fact you should always carry one in your car.  

When my father died in 2000, my Mother told me and my two brothers "You can now have Pop's guns."  My father was a hunter and had several rifles in a gun cabinet.  That gun cabinet sat empty until she finally gave the cabinet and guns to the son of my father's hunting buddy, who had died earlier.  

I know I'm pretty dumb in a lot of areas but this is one area that I am a genius.  Open carry laws are just wrong.  And I hope we don't have anymore senseless loss of life due to this asinine law passed by bought and paid for legislators. 

Where is the common sense?

Now this is a Mother




17 comments:

  1. I just finished a very loud verbal 'debate' with my friend and neighbor over Trump/Pence and my friend being a Republican. In my mind, there is no such thing as a Gay Republican. They are just cock suckers! Then I come to your pleasant blog and see this post! In the south, people like those in your photos above are called "idjits" and are most dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. grouchy,
      I apologize for two negative blog postings in a row but I just had to post the absurdity of the open carry laws. I agree with you, there is no such thing as a Gay Republican. Believe it or not I used to be a Republican who was gay. That was until I realized that most Republicans didn't view me as an equal citizen and human being. That's why I left the Republican, or rather they left me.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Where did you get these photographs? They're genius. Simply absurd but make the point perfetly!
    I agree with you. The Trump protesters will all mostly be carrying guns. WTF????
    When I am in Florida I do NOT argue with anyone. Why? Because I know most of them are carrying a concealed weapon. And if I tweak someone the wrong way....gulp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi,
      You said it so well, the open carry laws are absurd. No two ways about it. What family would feel comfortable out with their children either at Disney World or the local supermarket and seeing someone toting around a semi-automatic slung over their shoulder? Just goes to show you how far the fear of the NRA by many legislators has put all of us at risk for our lives.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. But Ron, surely these photos make you feel so much SAFER? What? - no? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Oh yeah, I feel soo "comfortable" when I'm shopping at the local supermarket and I see one of these yahoos toting heat.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Funny - or just plain frightening - how those who carry guns openly or are proud to claim their 'right' to do so, seem to be the most hot-headed, unstable ones.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:46 AM

    From a foreign point of view, this seems to be pretty scary. For instance, allowing new Black Panters to carry guns while demostrating in front of the Republican Convention seems irresponsible. One of these days you may be into a new class of unstoppable civil war within cities, without any war frontline or leaders to negociate. Maybe the last incidents are already part of it. Good luck, U.S. Juan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juan,
      We're totally off the rails here in this country with the possession of guns. There are more guns than people in this country. Totally absurd just as is the open carry laws.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I agree that open carry is silly in civilization. Not all of the rifles in the pictures are "automatic" rifles, a few are bolt action, and most of the automatics are actually semi-automatics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Same difference David, semi or automatic, no need to display in public. What is their problem?
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Hi Ron,

    Like you, the last time I discharged a fire arm was when I was in the Army, around '77 or so. I was in Infantry, so I had a chance to fire almost every weapon that was available.

    It was sort of fun, and I was a good shot, but it never held any lasting interest for me.

    Speaking of Ft. Meade, here is the Service Club:

    https://www.cardcow.com/575850/service-club-2-fort-george-meade-maryland/

    And another piece of trivia: The airfield at Ft. Meade is named, "Tipton Airport."

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andy, great info about Ft. Meade. Thanks for the link to the service club, where I spent a lot of time during my two and a half years stationed at Ft. Meade, and the fact that there is a Tipton Airport, which I did not know. I'll have to do some research on that because I'm sure it's named after one of my relatives. All Tiptons are related, having come from the immigrant Jonathan Tipton in the late 1600's.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. It seems like the USA is preparing itself for a Civil War amongst various groups in society. Sad to see so much violence and false debates about security with fear run amok. I do not know if there can be an adult reasonable debate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry,
      This county is off the rails as far as the possession of guns is concerned. Why anyone would need a semi-automatic rifle is beyond me and feel the need to display it. The only answer I can come up with is that many of these people who carry their precious semi automatic rifles in public have a problem. They're sick.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. I'm glad to be living in CA. I would find it wholly disturbing to see folk running errands with weaponry slung over their shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The top of this page says you are a gay man. Well I think it's stupid and/or crazy for a man to have sex with another man, but I still stand by you having the right to make your own choices about your life.
    Well I choose to defend my own life and that of my family and friends should the need arise.

    The problem here is not with those who decide to exercise their rights. The problem is with you wanting to restrict the rights of others, to dictate how they live, and force your own political and ideological values on others.
    How can you honestly expect anyone to respect you or your lifestyle choices if you will not respect the lifestyle choices of anyone else?
    All you are is a hypocritical hoplophobe.
    The same goes for pretty much everyone else who has commented on this article. Everyone expects their rights to be respected, but none of you are willing to extend that same courtesy to others. It's absolutely disgusting.

    ReplyDelete