Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Colonoscopy Preparation Day

The"Prep" Poop

 Kit - soon to be ingested by yours truly


The day is here.  The day before my scheduled colonoscopy at 8 AM tomorrow.  

This is the worse part of getting a colonoscopy.  The colonoscopy procedure itself is nothing because I'm in La La Land while my anal regions are being explored camera on a flexible wand.

This worst part is what is known as the "colonoscopy prep".  This starts the day before a colonoscopy procedure.  What it consists of is totally cleaning out my intestines of fecal matter so the snake with a camera on the end can have a clear view of my intestines for any cancerous growth.  

So how do I clear out my intestines?  I drink copious amounts of a God awful liquid that makes you gag. The taste of the solution is bad, something like lime flavored anti-freeze.  What makes you gag is the amount of liquid that you have to wash it down with.  

I don't drink that much liquids anyway, to my detriment as I have had several bad bouts of kidney stones in the past few years.  But to drink the equivalent of a bucket of water within an hour, I feel like I'm going to burst.  Of course all that liquid comes out the back end eventually . . . . as a liquid albeit dark.  Goes in clear comes out dirty.  In fact I have to drink it until it comes out clear.  Sorry to be so gross but you know me, in my blog I don't dance around unpleasant subjects.  Well, sometimes I do but most times I don't.

This will be my fourth colonoscopy.  I have a history of colon cancer in my family so I get colonoscopies every five years. I know how important it is to get checked for colon cancer.

A very good friend of mine, Bill P. discovered he had colon cancer during a routine colonoscopy about six years ago.  He had an eight hour operation to remove the cancer and was only given a one in four chance of survival.  He told me the doctor had his liver in his hands checking to make sure the cancer hadn't spread to his liver.  It hadn't.  Six months later his cancer returned.  He had another eight hour operation.  Since that time he has been cancer free.  His doctor told him that if his colon cancer hadn't been discovered early, he would probably be dead now.

In my family, my Uncle Sam always refused to be check for either prostate cancer (his wife told me Uncle Sam often said "No man is sticking his finger up my ass!") or colon cancer.  One evening, prior to them going out for dinner he called his wife into their bathroom.  He told her to look in the toilet, it was filled with blood after he had taken a poop.  Now he finally consented to go to a doctor.  Seven months later he was dead, from colon cancer.  Too late.  

My cousin Jeffrey also refused to have a colonoscopy.  He died at age 46 from colon cancer.

My cousin Bud (my age) has regular colonoscopies, like me.  During his second colonoscopy his doctor discovered two polyps.  They were benign.  But they could turn cancerous.  Coincidentally during my second colonoscopy two benign polyps were also discovered. They were removed. That was fifteen years ago.  Who knows what would have happened if I had not had that colonoscopy and those polyps turned cancerous?  

I've already had my bout with cancer.  Three years ago my doctor informed me I had prostate cancer. I found this by a routine blood test.  A PSA blood test.  I choose the treatment of seed implants.  I had to go through quite an arduous procedure but now I am cancer free.  I pee like a teenager (no enlarged prostate) and I am alive.  

So today I will endure starving myself for the whole day.  No food the rest of the day, only clear liquids.  Then at 6 PM I ingest my lime flavored car anti-freeze liquid and wash it down with more copious amounts of water.  Then I get up at 3 AM and tomorrow morning and do it all over again.

By the time I show up at Colonoscopy Central in Lewes tomorrow I should be clean as a whistle, and hungry.  

Am I worried?  Of course but this is something that has to be done.  I'm not finished with this life. I have plans. 

I got a lot of living to do. 

Someone, Pat, Spo and Yours Truly at the Canadian Exhibition 2014

10 comments:

  1. Ron,

    You remember my prep the other year? If not, it is on YouTube and in a Blog. It was time consuming, but I didn't find it so horrible. I had to drink a lot of stuff, but the laxatives I was prescribed really didn't taste that bad. Nothing made me nauseous. I was surprised because everyone, including you, had told me how bad the stuff tasted.

    Good luck tonight and tomorrow. I believe you'll be fine. And it felt so good coming off the anesthesia. Just think about that.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lar, I remember your colonoscopy prep very well. This solution package I have is different than I've taken before. I don't have to drink as much water over a short period of time like I did before. Hopefully this solution won't taste as bad either. The worst part probably about today is that I can't eat any solid food for the rest of the day. I am a creature of habit.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    I agree the preparation is the tough part and it does depend on which solution your Dr. prescribes and insurance approves for your plan. As you said the actual procedure is a breeze, your out and then your awake, although hungry and full of gas. LOL! Good Luck tomorrow.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omigosh Linda! I forgot all about the gas! Now I have that to worry about (smile)
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Good luck. I think I told you that you've got lots more songs to sing. Every best wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,
      I have LOADs of songs. However, I do tend to repeat myself. Something Bill has often reminded me of for the past 52 years.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I used to find straight men refusing prostate exams amusing; now I have little tolerance to their wimpy anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Some straight men are SOOOO protective of their rear entry. Something I never quite understood unless it's because they fear that would be called gay, to them a fate worse than death.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron - what a procedure. I'm with you on the difficulty with the prep. Like your's my body can just take in so much liquid. It's a hard deal but very worthwhile from what you mention in the blog. Looking forward to chatting with you after the event.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I feel like I was being waterboarded, drinking all that liquid.I'm so glad it's over. Five years again.
      Ron

      Delete