Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Hollywood Bed and Breakfast

Pat relaxing by the pool at the Hollywood Bed & Breakfast

During our ten-day stay in California, Pat and I stayed at the Hollywood Bed and Breakfast.  This is the first time I've stayed at a bed and breakfast.  I have to say I was very pleased with my choice.  Of course I did my homework first, I checked Trip Advisor.  The Hollywood Bed and Breakfast received consistently excellent reviews.  


William, one of the owners (along with his wife Nina) of the Hollywood Bed & Breakfast. William was always reading his newspaper in the morning off the side of the kitchen, welcoming guests as they came in for breakfast. The great thing about William was that he was always there but unobtrusive.  The perfect host.  There is you needed him but didn't interfere with  your breakfast.  William is looking in askance at me taking his photo. He eventually got used to my photo taking.


I was leary about staying at a bed and breakfast but my fears were soon dispelled by the accommodations and the superior hospitality given to us by our hosts, William and Nina, the proprietors of this delightful bed and breakfast.


William and Nina, the owners and operators of the Hollywood Bed & Breakfast in West Hollywood
Pat and I get up early so we were the first ones in the kitchen. I have to say I was very surprised by the wide and excellent selections of breakfast items that Nina had laid out for us.  Very surprised and happy.



Where to start? At home for breakfast I always have a bowl of Walmart store brand (Great Value) bran flakes with strawberries and vanilla almond milk. Yep, that's it folks, a very basic breakfast complete with all the vitamins and minerals I need for the day and I'm not stuffing myself with grease and cholesterol. At the Hollywood B & B, our hosts provided us with almond milk but since there was no cereal I didn't use it which I did feel guilty about.

Pat chatting with our host William during breakfast


But what I had for breakfast every day we stayed there was two pieces of toasted raisin bread slathered in 100% fat cholesterol ladened butter. Hey, I was on vacation.  I could afford to splurge (I think). 



Our first day we didn't take advantage of this wonderful breakfast layout. We went to Body Works

Pat waiting for his smoothie at the Body Works


at that wonderful mall on 8000 Sunset Boulevard and got two delicious super sized smoothies for $7.50 each. As good as those smoothies were, we should have taken advantage of the B & B's breakfast. Not only was the breakfast excellent, it was included in our room payment.

On some days other guests at the B & B joined us round the dining table for breakfast. 
 
These were guests from England. Later, there was an older male couple from Tennessee who we had breakfast with.  All just wonderful people.  This is what a holiday is all about folks.  And  . . . no kids!


Without exception they were all delightful and friendly.  Thus my other reservation about staying at a B & B was dispelled, eating with strangers.  


Our room ("TheMaverick") at the Hollywood B & B

The room where we stayed was called "The Maverick".

The hallway leading to our room at the Hollywood B & B
 

It was the smallest room at the B & B.  While it was comfortable,  the room and the bathroom was just a little too small for us.  Also, the decorations (curtains especially) were a bit much for Pat's minimalist taste but he adjusted. 


Pat adjusting to the overflow of curtains in our room (he has zero curtains at his Toronto home)
No complaints about our bed though, it was very, very comfortable.  If there was any complaint it was from Pat because, as usual I took up most of the bed, sleeping on a diagonal as I usually do.  Hey, I'm used to sleeping by myself.  When I'm sleeping my unconscious brain must think I'm sleeping solo again.


One very comfortable bed with a cozy duvet.  The fan you see wasn't to keep things cool but "white noise" that I need to put me to sleep.
Here we are returning to our wonderful accommodations, the Hollywood Bed and Breakfast.  We will be back next year!

14 comments:

  1. I've never stayed at a bed & breakfast but this one does look very charming, cozy, and -most importantly - QUIET!
    And without any brats - I mean children - it would be heaven.
    Did I happen to see two pianos there? That would also be heaven.

    By the way Ron, I also eat Great Value bran and raisin bran.....but I haven't tried vanilla almond milk. Sounds good. I always put evaporated milk in my tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      This is the first time I've stayed at a bed and breakfast. I was pleasantly surprised. Where we stayed was very homey and comfortable. One thing I was concerned about was privacy but we had all the privacy we wanted but seeing other guests (all educated adults, no kids) was a pleasant diversion at breakfast. All in all a very pleasant experience which we will do again next year.
      By the way, please do try the vanilla almond milk. I didn't realize it but I think I had a bit of lactose intolerance because every time I had milk (2%) on my cereal in the morning, my stomach rebelled a bit With the almond milk, my body says "thank you!". And almond milk lasts a lot longer plus doesn't have all the calories and fat. You should try it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Looks really nice. On my last trip to England, I stayed 2 (or was it 3) nights in a B&B out in the country. Very nice accommodations, and breakfast was wonderful. Of course, I was hit because I spoke with an accent, you see, so I had lots of great conversation around the table!

    I love your place's decor. Very bright and cheerful!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I was very pleasantly surprised with my first stay at a bed and breakfast. You know I would LOVE to go to England. I've already floated that idea to Pat and he wasn't too enthusiastic about it at all but I'm gong to try again. I've never been to a foreign country except Canada (does that count?) and England (my family's roots, both sides) is a place I've always wanted to visit. And I would like to experience being the guest with the accent, since I deal with so many guests at the hotel with accents. Just last night I had a long conversation with a guest from Scotland. I can understand most of what he says but I have to really concentrate.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Looks comfy, I have only done B&Bs a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      The B & B where we stayed was indeed very comfy and our hosts were so gracious and accommodating. I do plan to go back next year.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. It looks like a fun place to stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rjjr8878,
      Not only was the B&B where we stayed very comfortable it was ideally located. We could walk every where. Sunset Boulevard, Walk of Fame, Hollywood and Vine. In fact we did! We will definitely be back next year.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ohhh the Maverick room looks like the brothel in Ketchichan Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Also my first impression. :)
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Looks like the kind of idyllic B & B we wish they were all like.
    I have to sleep in the contorted position in the vacant spaces left on the bed by the cat(s)-of-the-given-night.

    Is vanilla almond milk the same as almond milk? I've tried the latter, and though I much prefer it to soya milk, I've not been able completely to get accustomed to it. I always feel a bit guilty when putting regular dairy milk in my beverage. Might try evaporated as Jon, above, says he does - although it is, of course, another dairy product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I don't care for the plain almond milk, too bland for my taste. I hate soy milk. It actually makes me semi sick. However, vanilla almond milk is very tasty. I don't use milk for anything anymore, only vanilla almond milk.
      The Hollywood Bed and Breakfast was everything I could have wished for in a bed and breakfast. Homey, comfortable, welcoming, and unobtrusive . I had feared I wouldn't have privacy but I had as much or more than I would have in a hotel room. We will be back next year for sure. I miss it already.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Right, absolutely MUST search out this vanilla almond milk thingy. Sounds like it could be my salvation from feelings of guilt. Thanks for that, Ron.

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      I hope you don't have a problem finding the vanilla almond milk. My store has run out of it occasionally, that's why I buy two at a time. Pat uses the plain almond milk but I prefer something with more of a taste and the vanilla almond milk is it. Good luck in your search!
      Ron

      Delete