Saturday, February 21, 2015

Living With My Leg Injury




Now comes the hard part, living with my leg splint for the next six weeks.  The last time I did this was in 1962 when I dislocated my right knee.  Back then when one had a limb injury, a cast was placed on the injured limb. I had a cast from my hip to my ankle . . . . . for six weeks. This time I have an adjustable leg brace.  Plastic splints are on both sides of the foam wrap which is secured with Velcro.

My injured left leg has to stay in the same position for at least six weeks for the ligaments to heal. At least that's how long I had to have the cast when I dislocated my knee back in 1962 and all I did was stretch my ligaments.  I won't know the extent of my ligament damage until after I get an MRI taken of my leg which is schedule for this Monday.  The following Monday I meet with my orthopedic surgeon after he analyzes my MRI's.  He said there could be minimal damage which, if that is the case, the ligaments will heal on their own.  If there is more extensive damage, then I will have to have surgery.  Let's hope for the minimal damage scenario.

So here is what it is like living with a leg splint.  Simply put, I can't do what I used to take for granted.  One of the big things is just sitting at my computer, updating my blog, checking other blogs, my e-mail, sorting my photos and surfing the Internet.  I can't sit here too long because it is so uncomfortable.  Thank goodness I'm not in pain.  I have two prescriptions for Percocet which I haven't filled and won't fill unless I'm in extreme pain.  And the only times I've been in extreme pain is four times so far: 


  1. Once when I fell on the ice.
  2. The second time when I fell inside the hotel lobby and couldn't get up.
  3. The third time when the EMR guys put me on the stretcher.
  4. The fourth time when I got home.  I fell hard in my bedroom coming out of my bathroom and I turned the corner too fast falling against the subwoofer of my surround sound system and said sub woofer taking a piece of dry wall out.
Do you know how lucky I am not to have fallen on my head or broken my hip?  I am lucky . . . . so far.  However, I am being VERY CAREFUL maneuvering myself around the our house.  

I'm finding that I'm adjusting quickly to the new reality of my limited physical movement.  I find ways around having to keep my left leg stiff in a brace.  I'm getting just a small taste of what it is like for someone who is permanently disabled and I'm telling you, I have a new empathy for those people.  I have a new appreciation for my former physical ability where I was able to move around at will and not even think about it.  Now when I eat, go to the bathroom or go to bed . . . those activities take careful planning lest I twist my knee/leg again and cause more damage.

I have to end this blog post now because my back is killing me from sitting this way with my left leg straight out.  

Again, when something like this happens to me I always think of how much worse it could be.  And I am thankful that it wasn't worse.  

Hopefully soon I'll be able to get back to my happy blog posts of my recent trip to California.  But for now, I'm coping as best I can with this situation. And again, I warn everyone: be very careful when walking outside and make sure you have your cell phone with you in case you fall. In an happen in an instant and you would just be a phone call away from a disaster.  Take it from me, I know and I have lived to tell about it.





17 comments:

  1. Be Careful. Get Well Soon.!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tommy for your good wishes. I'm ready to get back to my boring routine line. Enough excitement for me.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Poor thing.
    What an inconvenience.
    I still think you should amputate, get a peg-leg, and a green parrot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      My orthopedic surgeon showed me something that I never knew before, I was born with an imperfect fit on my knees. That's why I've had trouble with dislocations. Something I never knew. And here I thought I was perfect. (smile, big smile).
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:26 AM

    Dear Ron,
    I'm SO very sorry to hear about your fall! You are indeed lucky in a way, that you didn't get a head injury. I'm also sorry for the loss of your friend, Wayne, and I feel so bad in that perhaps I put you off him at the end. It is so difficult in a way to be friends with people via a distance and the internet. I'm so glad you have Bill, and a good neighbor. And tho you don't seem like the litigious type, please consult a lawyer. I slipped on ice in a parking lot at work and am still suffering the ramications from it, but I was one of those "it's no big deal" dopes who didn't document everything. Again, I hope you are getting better and my thoughts (not prayers!) are with you. ~~~ NB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NB,
      Thank you for your well wishes. Now I am not they litigious type, several people have fallen at work already. It's just something that happened. I know I am lucky all my fault that I wasn't more seriously injured but this is a giving it enough and I still don't know the extent of my injuries and I won't know that until March 9. I'm very lucky to have Bill and my neighbors. I am sorry for the loss of Wayne but his suffering is anger always had a problem Jordan or at and then now. Don't feel that you "put him off on me at the end", he was already off on me as he often it was during the time of our friendship, but that didn't change my good memories of our times together and my liking and respect for him. He's at peace now that's all that matters. Now I'm waiting for the power to go back one which is been off three times this morning. I just like to have a couple door routine days when there's no crisis no emergency no accidents no more people passing away no more illnesses no more anger no more recriminations just a piece and boring life. Again thank you for your comment.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. NB,
      About the wrong use of words and my reply to your previous comment. I'm doing this by voice command and apparently my accent so love to have a so I hope you can make out what I was trying to say. Have a great day.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. All my best wishes for minimal ligament damage and speedy recovery. Your advice about carrying a cell phone outside is excellent --might be good pass that on to Jon in Tennessee, who has again fallen and further injured himself to where he can't walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gro.,
      Thank you for your comment. Check out my friend Jon's blog, he also fell and his new home in Tennessee. Oh I just see that you also made a comment on that sorry I'm doing voice command here trying to catch up because my power is out this morning and I can't use my computer. It's been out three times this morning so frustrating, just looking for a nice normal routine day when there's no crisis is happening. Have a great day.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Rest and take care and let's hope for minimal damage. We develop remarkable coping skills, and a deeper understanding of how little things can create barriers. My knees have gotten a lot worse over the past year, I have slowed down and notice the roses more then I did.

    If you are going to be away from work for a few weeks, you might want to ask about a workman's comp claim, I don't know if it covers getting back to your car at the end of the shift. If it does, it might help with the out of pocket medical costs and lost earnings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I'm trying to answer my comments by voicemail on my iPhone. That's because my power is out and is been out three times so far this morning. I would just love to have a nice normal day were nothing happens where it's a crisis. I am not going to do the Workmen's Comp. But I will be at least two weeks.. Thanks for your comment and have a great day.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron,

    Glad you adjusting somewhat to the brace on your leg, still hoping you will recover quickly and get back to normal. When I work in my garden I do take my cell phone with me just in case.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am adjusting to this leg brace on my leg Cindy, it is still darn inconvenient. Good idea to take a shot for when gardening. Have a great day.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron - oddly enough you are going to feel so good when you get full use of your leg back. Our health is one of our most precious possessions. I love your attitude toward your situation. You are handling it as best you can. I'll be glad to chauffeur you around on our next get together if you have to take it easy for a while.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      You are soooo right. I am going to feel great when I have the use of both of my legs back again and can resume my normal activities. I didn't realize how busy I was until I've been incapacitated like I am now. Thanks for your offer to chauffeur me around but you already have done that Pat (smile). One thing, I probably won't be practicing my Moon Walk ever again. I don't want this to happen again.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Sorry to read about your injury. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Ron, I'm sorry to hear about your leg injury. You are a strong man, indeed! I wish everyone should learn to have will power that you have towards your life. Keep posting your experiences and thoughts. Your articles are really nice!

    My Blog: Tips for Arthiritis Patients

    ReplyDelete