Monday, February 16, 2015

New Computer Up and Running

My new iMac computer in the box - no towers and only one cord - what would Bill Gates say?

After two hours on the phone yesterday with Apple support, crawling around on the floor of my home office sorting out dust covered wires and trying to figure out what went where, my new computer is finally up and running!  Hallelujah!

I've been dreading "the setup" ever since I ordered my new computer.  In fact, that's one reason I hadn't ordered a new computer before, because I knew I would have to clean out a place for my old computer (which I will continue to use) and setup my new computer.  But when my old computer kept getting hung up more frequently last week, I decided it was Time.


Transferring data from my old computer to my new computer - the infamous Blue Bar

Actually, setting my new computer and transferring the data from my old computer was very easy.  Apple makes things that way.  Obviously Apple has a different view of its customers than does say  . . . . um . . . Microsoft or any of the Windows based computers like  . . . . um Dell. Raise you hands anyone who likes the latest version of Windows 8.1 . . THE TILES.  But I digress.


The tangle of wires - some aren't even hooked up and I have no idea what they were for but I'm not touching them

Transferring data from my old computer took about 14 hours.  Hey, I have over 85,000 photos and videos.  Even though the transfer took a long time (to be expected) where I ran into a snag was setting up my new time capsule backups.

I wanted to keep my old computer and its own time capsule backup and then set up my new computer with its own time capsule (Airport) backup.  That's where the call to Apple support came in.  Seems I had to set up a new network.  


I.DO.NOT.KNOW.HOW.TO.DO.THAT

I called Apple support and, as usual I got through without any problems.  They recognize my phone number and greet me by name.  Imagine Microsoft or Dell doing that. Ah, but I DIGRESS again.

The first few people I talked to were fine.  But the problem came when I was transferred to the department that specializes in setting up the Time capsules.  "Juliette" came on the phone.  Right away I detected a heavy Indian accent.  That sing-songy Indian accent. Maybe pleasing the ear in general conversation but when giving instructions on how to set up a network?  Not so much.  

The two Time capsule backups and my expensive monthly rental modem from Comcast (got to keep those profits coming in so Comcast can buy more media companies)

I don't want to torture you with the details (I was tortured enough yesterday) but I was on the phone with "Juliette" for almost two hours, crawling around on the floor, hooking up wires (ethernet, power cords, et al) and creating that new network to run through my new Airport time capsule. Don't ask me why I had to create a new network.  "Juliette" told me but by then my head was hurting so much trying to translate the instructions she was giving me to set up said network.

Old computer setup in new location - I can now sleep easy knowing that my photos are backed up all over the place.

So here is the bottom line folks, both computers are new setup.  Both have their own Time capsule backups. And I have a new, speedier, slick, impressive, awesome, huge, outstanding, sexy boyfriend computer.

My new computer setup and ready to go (iPhoto naturally)

I got the biggest and fastest (and most expensive - less money for that assisted living facility that probably awaits me in the future) computer that Apple had for sale.  And I'm loving it folks!  

Life is good.







18 comments:

  1. What a heavenly state you've found yourself to be in, Ron. Would give my eye-teeth (whatever they are) to wave a magic want and have this thing replaced by the model you've got. Evidently it looks like the expense, trouble and risk taken has all paid off. We look forward to your showing us of what acrobatics it's capable. Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Just under 5 grand I put out for this space shuttle. It probably wasn't necessary but after seeing so many of my peers die recently and others on their deathbed, I decided that 5 thou that I was saving for the assisted care facility in my future would be put to better use right now. Of course when I made the initial purchase I was sick to my stomach for spending so much ON A COMPUTER but now that I have it and seeing how smoothly it operates, this old man eliminated one major frustration and stress in my life,a slow computer. I figure this one should last me into my dotage.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Oops, 'fraid that 5,000 dollars would be FAR beyond my own reach, Ron. I was thinking more of a 2,000 max, and even then I'd be sweating - but, having the dosh, then I too would go for it. You're probably spending less in the long run anyway. Good luck!

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      Do not despair. You can get a very nice Apple computer for under $2,000.00. What I got was the biggest (27 inch screen) with the maximum RAM (32 Gigabytes), a three year maintenance agreement, a Airport time capsule ($400 alone), a separate DVD drive . . . . in other words I got everything I could get. I have over 85,000 photos and videos so I need a huge computer that can handle all that content. I doubt you would need anything thing near that capacity. Think of this like buying a car. I just bought a Mercedes but you can buy a brand new, car of any make for much less and just as good. So don't be scared off by how much I spent on my new computer. By the way, I don't spend that much on new cars, I just get the bare basics and so I'm comfortable in the drivers seat, that's why I've purchased to Subaru Forester in a row. But with computers, I need a Mercedes.
      Ron

      Delete
    4. I won't stop thinking about it, Ron, 'cos very soon when it all goes out on a fizzle I'll HAVE to think about it. Thanks for your advice, though.

      Delete
    5. Ray,
      Do whatever you have to do to get an Apple computer. Beg, cheat, steal or even sell your body but please, PLEASE don't subject yourself to the frustration and torture of yet another Windows based computer. The initial purchase may be less but over the long run you're paying a LOT MORE. Take it from my experience. I have the scars.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. This is off topic but given your recent trip to LA I thought I'd let you know that the current issue of Vanity Fair has an interesting article on the music scene that flourished in Laurel Canyon in late sixties. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rjjrs8878,
      I have that issue of Vanity Fair and I will check out that article.
      Thanks!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the successful setup of your new computer! It was well worth spending two hours with Juliette (although two hours with Romeo would have been better). I could hardly imagine living without wires and a tower. My old desktop has at least 25 wires and a tower that's too damn heavy to lift. That's why I haven't even unpacked it yet. I'm still using my laptop.

    I appreciate all the comments you've been leaving on my blog. Hopefully my day WILL eventually come. You don't supposed all the good Romeos are already taken, do you??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Even though I hate dealing with someone with a foreign accent when going through something complicated like this, I do have to give Juliette props for patiently staying with me until I got everything hooked up. She knew what she was talking about even though I could only understand about 2/3rds of what she was saying.
      By the way, if you get a new computer you HAVE to get rid of all those wires. Get an iMac. You don't have to spend as much as I did. You can still get a good one and trust me, you'll have a happier life.
      And as far as the supply of Romeos . . . . I can only tell you from my own experience. I never in a million years thought I would find a friend like I have with Pat. But it happened when I wasn't even looking for it. And this is literally the best time of my life which is so weird because I'm old now. Sure, when I met Bill when I was 22 years old, I was happy with him and have been (for the most part anyway) for the past fifty years but I always felt something was missing. With Pat, I feel complete. "Complete" is the word that fits our relationship. But having said this, I will remain with Bill. Pat prefers to live by himself and I like my situation just as it is. Believe me Jon, it just doesn't get any better than this. And I have the feeling your Romeo isn't too far in the future. Or Juliette?
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ah... a new iMac, so good. One day I might have to get a new one .. one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy,
      That's what I said for years but just didn't want to spring for the extra money but as another commenter said, "You get what you pay for" and with my Apple products, I am very happy. The money issue has disappeared.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I need to replace my windows machine, I am holding out for windows 10. My favorite is my cheap little chrome book - but it is not a good format for the music and photo archive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Take my advice and don't get any new Windows based product. You'll never regret paying the extra money to get the superior product. Just think of all the money you will save by not buying anti-virus protection alone.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Nice computer, Ron! I know iMacs are expensive, but you get what you pay for, for sure! I am positive you will get many years of use from it.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      This computer is a beauty. If I can any complaint at all it is the fact that Apple did away with the 3-D icons. Now we're back to cartoon icons, which seems a step back to me. I don't know why they went that route. Maybe to save computer memory? Don't know.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Conserving resources...everything "cute" is a resource hog. Apple elected to put those CPU cycles and memory resources to work elsewhere, like editing your pictures!
      Jay

      Delete
    3. Jay,
      That's what I thought. I'm willing to give up the "cute" to have more ability to edit my photos, which I just spent about an hour doing this morning. Much easier with this new computer. I didn't get hung up once.
      Ron

      Delete