Saturday, February 07, 2015

Sunset Strip at Night




A life size, fierce Ninja Turtle in the super heroes store (I don't know out you but I thought this turtle was . . . well, sort of sexy. What do you think?)

Well folks, after a several day, a forced hiatus from my blog postings due to a slow computer, here I am back to pick up again on my wonderful California adventure. By the way, my new iMac computer is scheduled to be delivered this Wednesday.  I've already cleared out a spot for it in my home office.  That was a job that had to be done but did leave me drained.  I just don't have the energy that I used to have.  

So, to pick up where I last left off of our fabulous California ten day dream vacation in Los Angeles (West Hollywood and environs), after our dinner at the El Compadre restaurant Pat and I took a stroll down Sunset Boulevard. What a delight to take an evening stroll in January and not have to bundle up against the cold.  The temperature was about 70 degrees and low humidity.  Just perfect.


A store called "The Hustler" on Sunset Strip.  What are the odds of that?  We didn't stop in (I don't remember why) but we will next year.  I have no idea what they're selling in that store but I am curious (yellow)

One storefront that caught my eye was a super heroes store.  Oh how I wish Sassy Bear was here.  He would have been in super hero heaven.  There was a time when I was into super heroes; the comic books and figurines and all that but I just have too much in my life now.  I have to do some serious uncluttering, not that super heroes are clutter mind you.  But it was fun to see everything they had in this one of a kind, unique store.


If you have the room, here are some cool super hero figures - wow what I would have done with these in the day
I had a couple of lime margaritas so I wasn't too steady on my feet when we took our walk down Sunset Boulevard.  It doesn't take much these days to get me tipsy folks.  But this was only the second time I had a drink during our whole stay in California.  The other time was when we went to Oil Can Harry's for that Disco Retro night.  Remember that night?  I fell on my ass dancing.  No falling down this night (thank goodness).

Here's a short video of Pat and I as we close in on the Coffee Bean, a Starbucks clone in West Hollywood.  I'm telling you folks, we really had a fabulous time in West Hollywood and Los Angeles and California.  I am so looking forward to going back next year.  Yep, I have established an annual trip.  Always fun to have something to look forward to.  I remember all those years in the Seventies that I used to vacation in Provincetown.  So long ago now but so many good memories that continue to live.  Oh how I wish I had videos of my time there. Then there was the long drought when I didn't go anywhere (from 1980 until now).  Now I'm having my last hurrah. This is great folks.




12 comments:

  1. Ron

    Ah - the Coffee Bean. Good hot drinks and Wifi. Just watching that video reminds me how the traffic never seems to stop there - at least when we were up and about. I remember you wondering what all these people did as so many were driving cars during the day (work time).

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      That traffic was continuous wasn't it? Looking at the videos that I'm posting of our stay, has convinced me that I want to stay in West Hollywood at least half the time when we return next year. Maybe we can find out what those people, who are driving all those cars, do for a living during the daytime. They can't all be in the movie business, or can they? Let's find out!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    What do they sell in that store? Well, Hustler Magazine of course, plus things like "Hustler's Meat Lovers" special, Rabbit Vibrators, Candy Cane G-strings for Men and assorted toys, lotions and plastic vibrating body parts for the lonely. In other words, a place much like those I spent a lot of time, youth and money within back during the sex revolution of the '60s & '70s.


    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Of course, that is THEE Hustler store. Show you how much I know. "Vibrating body parts for the lonely" . . . just how sad is that but I guess if you're by yourself it's better than nothing. I'm just glad that you and I have other "live" alternatives (wink, wink). Back in the day, on Spruce Street in Philly, there was a store like that (can't think of the name now) that I used to go in and get my poppers. They also had all kinds of interesting sexual accruements. I did avail myself of a few of them. Hey, it was the Sexual Revolution of the 70's!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. "Hustler" wasn't there when I lived in Hollywood. It's an adult boutique owned by Larry Flynt (I never was a Flynt fan....).
    I've heard from a reliable source (yep, I still have a few) that the "Hustler" will be closing and a new hotel will be built on the same site.
    Let's hope it's not a Flynt hotel.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I'm not a Flynt fan either. I should have known it was his store, my naiveté never completely leaves me. You reliable source that says that location will be a new hotel makes a lot of sense. It is an excellent location right on Sunset Boulevard. I doubt that it would be a Flynt Hotel. Sunset Boulevard had it's seedy parts when we were there but I sensed they were upgrading. The site of the 60's TV show, which Pat drug me around looking for, is a contraction site now. I don't know what they were building but the site has a wonderful view of L.A. We'll find out when we return next year.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. wow look at all the super heroes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Sassy Bear would have been in super hero heaven in that store.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. You probably noticed the ridiculous amount of luxury cars that were driving around. It seems that everyone has a BMW in this town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony,
      As a matter of fact we did notice the ridiculous amount of luxury cars. Pat pointed it out to me. Here in southern redneck Delaware SUV's and big wheeled pickup trucks abound. Not so in West Hollywood or L.A. in general. Sure, the SUV's but a load of very expensive cars. We did see ONE pickup truck in the parking garage on Sunset Boulevard where we always parked when we went to the Veggie Grill place. It looked out of place. Us, in our humble, rented NIssan Sentra, were obvious tourists. Oh well.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I still can't believe you didn't buy every single one and send them to me *smirk*

    Sassy Bear
    Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sassy,
      Oh how I wanted to buy everything in that store and send it too you! If you're ever in West Hollywood you'll definitely have to check out that store. It has everything you could ever want in the way of super heroes.
      Ron

      Delete