Monday, February 02, 2015

El Compadre

The El Compadre restaurant on Sunset Boulevard - Pat and I were looking to replicate our experience of the La Quetzalteca restaurant in Millsboro, DE

Little late on my posting today folks.  Messing around with my slow, slow computer.  I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a new computer.  This one, an iMac 27 inches, is five years old.  I fear the hard drive is failing.  Heck, I'm failing.  So I called the Apple store this morning and put in an order for a super duper charged iMac to last me for the duration.  Oh yes, this is Apple so you know I'm spending major bucks (got to contribute to the Apple bottom line don't you know) but I NEED my computer.  Some people buy motor cycles, some people take a cruise around the world. Me?  I buy the latest in computers so I can stay connected with the world.  Gone are the days when our only source of information was what the three major TV networks doled out to us after they filtered the news, now we not only can go on the Internet to filter our own news (which can still be a challenge because we're going through the "American" filter) but we can also contribute to the social intercourse via blogging, like I'm doing now and, to a lesser extent, Facebook.  Wow, that was a long sentence. I try to keep my sentences short and simple folks but sometimes you just have to let the thoughts roll onto the keyboard as they rattle out of my head.

So folks, here is the latest installment of my ten day stay in West Hollywood, Los Angeles, California.  This post is about our dine out one night (our second or third night, I forget which) at the El Compadre Restaurant on Sunset Boulevard.  All of our other meals were at vegan establishments but I want to sample the local Mexican culinary delights just once.  And I did.  


Interior of El Compadre restaurant, Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA

As we were walking down Sunset Boulevard one balmy evening in January (doesn't that sound great? Balmy in the same sentence with January?).  I heard music and joyful sounds coming out of this hole in the wall on Sunset Boulevard.  I suggested to Pat that we venture in.  He acquiesced, knowing that even in the Cheese Palace he could probably get something vegan (he did).  

We enter the raucous environs. I look for the seating hostess.  She tells us there will be a half an hour wait.  I look at Pat in askance.  A couple waiting nearby detect our uncertainty   He says to me "It's worth the wait."  I'm easily persuadable and make The Decision on the spot.  We wait.  

After the aforementioned half an hour wait (the hostess knows her business) we were seated.  We peruse the menu.  I see a cheesy mess that appeals to me.  Oh, I almost forgot.  I ordered a lime margarita while I was standing sand waiting to relax me.  By the time I was seated, I was relaxed, in spite of the salt that rimmed the margarita glass (I don't like salt with my tequila libations). 


Our meal, I almost pigged out on the spicy salsa alone - I can taste this food now
We order our food, I order another lime margarita, without salt this time, and settle in to enjoy the vibes of the El Compadre restaurant.  While we were waiting for our order, I almost totally pigged out on the chips and salsa alone.  Oh how I love good, fresh, spicy salsa.  Yum!


Chips and salsa, that's me!

A three man combo was playing not two feet from us.  This video is not the best representation of that delightful combo but it does give you a flavor of the night. Yet another good night in West Hollywood, California.  Oh and yes, I was a little tipsy on the way home.  Actually, this was the only time during our stay in California that I had a drink, they don't serve alcoholic beverages at the vegan palaces we frequented during our holiday odyssey in California.  





You know, I've often wondered what musicians are thinking when they're playing beautiful, melodic music like this in a restaurant when just about everyone else is either talking, laughing of feeding their faces. Well, I can tell you both Pat and I appreciated their music. We were sitting right next to them while they played. A very pleasant evening indeed. I was stuffed when I got back to where we were staying but contented and just a little bit tipsy, which was alright.

12 comments:

  1. keep having fun,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Blogging about my vacation in California is like living it all over again. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. My salivary juices are STILL working after that read. (Stop it! You can't have any!)

    We'll all be empathising with your computer headaches. It's become such an indispensable feature of our lives, yet living with it is like always being on the edge of a cliff. You never know WHEN it's going to go down - leaving an irreplaceable void until the problem is 'cured' (too often, expensively)..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      That was one delicious and decadent meal, let me tell you. The ambiance was superb, the company delightful and the music wonderful. I just got off the phone with Apple support. They helped me clean up my computer and it's running much smoother now. Let's see how long this last. I just don't have enough RAM (4 GB) to run all my applications. I'll just have to break down and order more RAM. See how much that costs. You're right about the computer (and iPhones0 being an indispensable part of our lives. I remember what young people said after they got a car "How could I ever live without a car?" Indeed. Well, unless you live in the city which I did for a number of years (Philadelphia). Always good to hear from you Ray and I am glad my computer is running smoother now.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Once I return from my vacation I am biting the bullet and buying a Mac. I love my Ipad and want nothing to do with Windows 8! I enjoyed the video, it reminded me of my almost 18 years in the wine industry working for the worlds largest adult beverage company. I attended many events with featured music and similar food. We had some of the most amazing potluck lunches during that time. I find when I travel east Mexican food just isn't the same. Your dinners made me hungry for the same.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      You're making a wise decision. I allays had problems with my Windows based computers and so frustrating with all the update (almost daily) and the glitches which many of those updates caused. And Windows 8? Don't even get me started. Bill likes to use a laptop to check his AOL e-mail and his old laptop gave out. He didn't want to put out all that much money so we bought a $500 Toshiba laptop. Unfortunately Windows 8 was already preinstalled. The infamies "Tiles". What a headache! What do those people at Microsoft think anyway when they do these so called "upgrades." The "Tiles is so confusing for Bill and not at all user friendly. To open back to the classic view of Windows, the one he is used to and comfortable with, he has to go "round the block to get to the front door." Microsoft, no wonder I hate them so much. They don't design computers for the average person, just a team of arrogant, know it all techies who force feed their latest goop to the masses just because they have the market share. Well, they're losing their market share to Apple. You'll be very happy with your Apple computer.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron, everything you said about Windows is RGHT on target. Those Bozos take delight in torturing people to death. Constant changes, unrelenting complications, and - - yes - - daily updates. I presently have Windows 8.1 and it has inspired thoughts of suicide or murder.

      Delete
    3. Jon,
      Over the years I have wasted so much money on Windows based computers. I won't bore you with the details the last time I had a crash (five years ago) of a BRAND NEW COMPUTER (three months old) simply because I was trying to transfer a program from my old Windows based computer, I said "THAT IT!" After the hard drive was replaced (free of charge, still under warranty by Dell and by the way, looks like I am going into the detail aren't ?) but I gave it away, and vowed never again to buy any Windows based computer. But, of course I did, an inexpensive laptop for Bill (a Toshiba) that has Windows 8.1, the "tiles." We had to figure out how to get back to the classic desktop screen that Bill was used to (who wants touch screen on a desktop computer?) I could write a small book on all my frustrations with Microsoft and their arrogance and lack of support. I've said enough because I'm getting all worked up again. My suggestion to anyone who is listening, if you do get a new computer, get an Apple product, no matter how much it costs and yes, I know they're expensive but believe me, I've saved hundreds if not thousands of dollars since I went Apple.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron, you have me yearning for a feast with a Mexican - - OOPS! I mean a Mexican feast. That food looks so good. I'll be making homemade burritos soon.

    It's funny how quickly our computers age. My "brand new" desktop is now over 5 yrs. old. I'm glad I bought this new laptop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Oh I do indeed like a cheesy, spicy Mexican feast and the one we had at El Compadre was excellent. And by the way, computers not only age fast, we do too! It was just the other day that I was 37 years old. What happened?
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your new computer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I put out a lot of bucks for this space shuttle but I think it will be worth it. Always good to hear from you.
      Ron

      Delete