Tuesday, February 17, 2015

First Snowfall Sussex County Delaware




While many parts of the country, especially the northeast United Staes are experiencing record snowfalls this year, here in Sussex County Delaware we've been dodging the snow bullet.  However, when I woke up this morning and looked out my bedroom window but what did I see? A blanket of the white stuff.  Oh yes, we finally got snow.  

I had an appointment to get my haircut this morning (I haven't had it cut since I left for Los Angeles last month) . . . had to call my barber and ask her to postpone my appointment until tomorrow.  One more day with my bed hair.


My "bed hair" or I could be an actor with the latest hairstyle, ready to be an Academy Award presenter (that and the skinny legged jeans)

Bill was out early this morning shoveling the snow.  I don't "do" snow, one of the myriad of reasons I relocated to Delaware.  I do have to say, the snow covered landscape here in the neighborhood does create a welcome alternative to the usual scene out our garage door. 

As much as I desire to locate to another warmer part of the country (Los Angeles is a definite possibility) during the "just get through of it" months of January and February, I do appreciate the change of seasons.


The view out of our sunroom windows this morning (Bill's working on his puzzle but didn't want be in the picture)

Next year I also plan to visit Los Angeles for ten days.  I was thinking we were really playing Russian Roulette by taking our chances by scheduling air flights out of Philly and Toronto in the middle of winter.  We were lucky this year.  We'll roll those dice again next year.   

It's all good folks.  I'll have a little lunch now then retire to my solar heated bedroom   and take my daily afternoon nap.  Oh how I do love it when my bedroom is heated naturally with the sun.

It's all good folks.




20 comments:

  1. When living near Wilmington as a kid we got 4 inches of snow and didn't have to go to school for three days! We barely notice that much here in Northern Minnesota. This morning it was 13 below zero and the next two mornings are going to be colder. It is starting to make me homesick for the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jono,
      I will always have to live near a beach whether in California or Delaware. I think snowy landscapes are pretty but I prefer not to live in them. When I hear Minnesota I always think of the old Mary Tyler Moore show and the scenes of the snow falling outside the windows of her apartment. Many good memories of a time long ago. Of course that was probably a Hollywood set. But still, nice.
      Ron
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Yes, "The Mary Tyler Moore" show was shot in the San Fernando valley" (CBS Radford as we call it).

      Delete
    3. Nadege,
      Her show wasn't filmed in Minneapolis? They had me fooled. I thought choosing Minneapolis was a brilliant idea. I have to say I'm a little disappointed to know that "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" was filmed in California. Tell me only the interior scenes were filmed there.
      Ron

      Delete
    4. Then Rhoda thought she would move to Minneapolis "Where it's cold and I thought I would keep better."

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    I think you got more than us. We had about six inches here. It stopped early and I shoveled early. I had to get the drive way clear for Laurel to leave for work at 7. She told us later that the roads were really bad this morning. I think my community was better plowed than I-95. Roads are pretty decent now. Gonna head out for dinner in a few minutes. Tell Bill to take care of his back when he shovels.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Actually we only got a few inches down here in Sussex County. Maybe two or three inches. Enough to cover the ground but the roads are clear if sloppy. That's enough snow for the year as far as I'm concerned. Safe driving!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. We got about 8" in our area of Central VA. Can you say CATASTROPHE?!?!?! The guvna declared a state of emergency for the state (admittedly, other areas got much more snow than we did), and almost everything was closed today, my job included. I do love an unscheduled lie-in! And not so long a one tomorrow as we have a 2-hour delay.

    My back yard was very pretty.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      The snow landscape is pretty. Thankfully we only got enough to cover the ground.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. A little snow is fine, but I have my fill of winter in a hurry. I would consider moving back south some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      This is enough winter for me. We've had our snow.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I probably could deal with few days of snow but no more. It sure looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      This snow is beautiful but it will be gone in a few days. Generally, that's how long a snowfall usually lasts here on the eastern shore of Delaware, which is just fine with me.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. They don't shovel the white stuff in L.A.........they only sniff it. I knew a lot of Hollywood people who were perpetually snowed in. Actually, the coldest I ever remember it being in L.A. was about 32 degrees (my memory is rather hazy)

    Here in the mountain wilderness of TN we had eight inches of snow. It's presently 18 degrees. Tomorrow night it's supposed to drop to minus 15.
    Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Tinseltown any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      "I knew a lot of Hollywood people who were perpetually snowed in"? Are you perhaps referring to another kind of "snow"?
      Oh you're going to get your share of snow in those Tennessee mountains. Are you missing your west Texas weather yet?
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Yes, I was definitely referring to a different kind of "snow". I don't miss anything about Texas except the low utility bills.

      Delete
  7. No school today, here in southern New Jersey. We don't shovel, but we are lucky that someone usually shows up and offers to dig us out for a price. Today was $30. Well worth it
    By the way, love your sunroom. Always love seeing photos of your lovely home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      Our sunroom is where Bill spends his whole day when he's not downstairs in his bedroom. He loves it. During the winter he works on puzzles. This is where he is the happiest which makes me happy.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Hey Ron - I simply enjoyed reading the comments on your post today. The banner photo is really nice too! I have no problem living in a warm climate. The change of seasons is nice too - perhaps a little more enjoyable when they aren't so severe.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. what lovely snow!
    I miss snowstorms

    ReplyDelete