Friday, February 13, 2015

The Grove, Los Angeles Part Two



Spending an afternoon at the West Hollywood shopping mall "The Grove" was a very pleasant, unexpected interlude during our stay in Los Angeles.  We would never have known about this wonderful oasis in the middle of West Hollywood were it not for our friend Nadege.  Thank you Nadege!

Pat and I weren't planning on buying anything  but it sure was pleasant wandering around, soaking up the spring like temperatures, and listening to the relaxing music.  One store we stopped in (the video at the beginning this blog) had a wonderful, thumping sound system to accompany our wanderings in their store.  I haven't been to clubs with such a good sound system.  I checked the prices of the men's items; almost all of which were in blacks and grays, just the way Pat and I were dressed so I guess we were in style, and they really weren't outrageously expensive. Lots of those skinny legged jeans in this store at designer prices.  That's one style I'll never cotton too.  I think they look stupid.

We also stopped in Nordstroms.  Nordstroms is a nice store but, from what I saw, WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for the likes of us.  This is obviously a store for folks with too much money.  Gold lame sneakers anyone? Only $750. ONLY?  I would have loved to shown this to my Mother who wouldn't spend over $20 for a dress.  



We were killing time waiting for our California friend (and frequent commentor on my blog) Nadege.  We were going to the movies.  We saw "Taken Three" with Liam Neeson.  I hadn't seen the first two "Taken" films but Pat told me this movie was the same formula, which was a bit tired by the third installment.  

One thing I did like though was this theater. I know I've been bursting with superlatives, describing out stay in California but I'm telling you, this was the most magnificent movie theater I've ever been in my life.  That could tell you two things, either I haven't been to too many movies theaters (I have actually) or this was one truly luxurious theater.  The seats, with head rests.  The sound.  The screen.  Now if we just had a decent movie but they're hard to come by these days aren't they?


The lobby of the movie theater at the Grove- and yes, that's Pat in the center walking towards the concession stand for his hot buttered popcorn; he can't watch a movie without popcorn (I can)
Below I make a suggestion to Pat that we buy a festive pair of shoes for our B & B hostess Nina.  Check out Pat's reaction to my suggestion.  The "Ron and Pat" show: to be continued . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


15 comments:

  1. It was fun seeing "Taken III" in that movie theater. Everytime I see your videos, I miss you. I wish you two would live here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      It probably comes as no surprise to you that both Pat and I wish we lived in L.A. too. Maybe some day. Not impossible.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. When we lived in San Francisco, I shopped at Nordstrom a lot. It was my second favorite department store (for clothes) after Macy's. But that was back in my career days. I probably couldn't stomach the prices these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,
      My clothes shopping days are over. These days I replace a favorite item that wears out, usually from L.L. Bean. The Gap use to be one of my favorite emporiums for new "bar wear." But, as I said, those days are long over.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I should see more movies, I have grown to dislike shopping, there is a body type that looks good in skinny jeans, I love that low rise jeans came back - reminds me of the mid 70's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      You're right, there is a body type that does look very interesting in skinny jeans. But that is a very small pool of guys. Many of the guys I saw wearing them looked uncomfortable with the tight legged jeans and pants falling down. I know I would be uncomfortable wearing them.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Most women love a festive wedge. Did you go in Barney's. It's one of my favorite stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rjjs8878,
      I did not go into Barney's. In fact, we only went into two stores (which I videotaped) during our brief visit to the Grove. Next time we'll take the full tour.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Hey - I can't remember what days these were taken but it looks like a pretty bleary eyed Pat. But wow what a great day that was. Thank you Nadege for suggesting that!

    Happy Valentines Day everyone!!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I second that emotion! The Grove was an excellent suggestion Nadege. Thanks!
      Ron

      Delete
  6. That men's store has the lighting and sound of many a certain type of establishment I've been into in days long past (and you also, I know) though without, l presume, the fumes and 'litter' of various substances on a bare floor. But nonetheless, still has a very macho feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I loved the lighting and sound in that store. Someone knows how to market by setting the mood. Seeing and experiencing stores like that make me see how pitiful stores around here where I live are. And yes, that store had a very macho feel about it. I was getting turned on.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. If truth be told, me too, Ron. It jogged the memories- the anticipatory excitement of who might be lurking in a dark corner. (Sorry, getting carried away!)

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      My experience in that store, with the dark corners and the throbbing music also jogged some long ago exotic and sensuous memories of my own. I venture to say whoever designed that store interior has some memories of his (and it is a "he", of that I'm sure) own.
      Ron

      Delete
    4. Exactly what I was thinking too, Ron. he must be drawing from some interesting experience(s) which, I wonder, whether non-gay men would recognise

      Delete