Sunday, February 22, 2015

What Next?




No power.  That's right, no electric power.  That what happened shortly after I had breakfast this morning, the power went "ZAP!"  Gone.

When Bill and I lived on our heavily wooded 6.875 acres in Pennsylvania, power outages were almost a weekly occurrence.  Just about every time there was a strong wind, tree limbs broke and fell on the power lines lining the road to our house.  I am not exaggerating folks, at least twice a month we would have power outages.  Yet another reason I moved to Delaware.  I just got so tired of the friggin power outages in Pennsylvania.

Since we moved to Delaware in 2006, I could count the power outages on one hand (four). This morning, the power went out THREE TIMES.  Yes, you read that right . . . THREE TIMES, thus setting a new record.  The power finally came on at 12:30 PM.  Total time out, about three hours.  



So thank you car driver, who obviously was driving too fast for conditions.  I checked the Internet and the local news this morning after the first power outage and it said 7,000 power customers were without power. Eventually 22,500 customers were without power.



Bill and I joke about the number of dangerous trees and utility poles which seem to be always in the way of some of our more reckless and speeding drivers here in Sussex County.  I'm waiting for some genius to propose banning said dangerous trees and utility poles along side the roads. 

Seriously though, I think why there are so many car meets utility pole and the utility pole wins, is because the land is so flat down here and the spaces wide open.  Some people are like little kids when they see the big open spaces in supermarkets, they think they have to go as fast as they can.  That is until they hit a tree, utility pole or my legs (which has happened often to me in the supermarket when one of these little darlings is on a running rampage.)

So that's the excitement today folks.  I'm still hobbling around on my cane, trying not to displace my knee pad again and thus hit the ground.  Tomorrow I have an appointment for an MRI to asses the damage to my cartilage and ligaments. I'm fearing for the worst because when I was showing off this morning by sliding out of my bed (Dr. Spo was on FaceTime with me, I was showing him how I have to maneuver myself out of bed), I could feel my knee pad slipping again!  Oh no.  

But you know folks, I still consider myself lucky in spite of the spate of bad things that have been happening the past week.  My friend and fellow blogger friend "Jon" of "Lone Wolf Concerto" (see HERE) fell and slide on the icy snow outside his new house in the country in Tennessee in minus 15 degree weather and hurt his back.  Thank goodness he was able to crawl back to his house.  And then to top everything else off, his pipes froze and flooded his house.  Cickety!  

By the way, pay a visit to Jon's blog.  It's one of the best out there.  And why? Because he is an excellent writer and he's honest.  And he's a nice guy.  I don't remember how I found his blog but I'm glad I did.  

So that's it for today folks.  I'm going to finish watching my Woody Allen movie "You're Going To Meet a Tall, Dark Stranger" tonight.  I'm ready for some dull and boring times.  I've had just a little too much drama around here recently.  And yes, I do hope to getting back to posting more about my trip to California.  I'm only about 20% through those photos and videos.  And by the way, I was thinking if I was stayed in California for January and February, I wouldn't be in the situation where I am now.  But as Forest Gump famously said:  "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to find."  Indeed.






14 comments:

  1. Ron,

    You really have had a bad week, hoping now that it is almost over things improve for you next week! I have to warn you we have power outages out here in California, though where I live they are moving things underground and that seems to be helping. We also have earthquakes, there was one about five months ago centered very close to where I live. Was rudely awaked shortly after 3 AM that morning. The power went out, cell towers failed, and it was a dark and scary start to the day. I keep flashlights in every room of my house for such an occasion, but now I have an emergency radio with a flashlight the can be charged by both solar and hand crank power. I was more than a little freaked out when I couldn't call my Mom, I forgot I had an old fashioned plug in phone. I was very lucky as I only lost a salt shaker and a vase. I giant platter on a stand flipped over on the floor in my kitchen and didn't break, still wondering how that happened. Napa, about 20 minutes from where I live was devastated in some areas. That was my 4th large earthquake in almost 60 years so I consider myself lucky. It is no fun to be in the dark for hours after one though. It is funny how lost we are when the power goes out though. It seems there is some sort of disaster that can occur where ever we live.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Hmmmmm......I had put the earthquake possibility in the recesses of my mind. Now that you have reminded me that this is a very real possibility, I will take this into consideration for any future relocation. I only experienced one earthquake myself and that was in Philadelphia back in the 70's. I felt a rumbling and woke up immediately, I knew what it was. I was on the third floor of our town house and briefly considered the possibility of jumping out the third floor bedroom window rather than be buried in the rubble. Of course the other possibility in California are the fires. No doubt about it, almost any place you live in the United States there is Mother Nature to consider. Hurricanes, tornadoes, snow, extreme humidity, scorpions in your bed, etc, and et al. Your description of your earthquake experience was very riveting. Wow. By the way, you are so right. We are so dependent on power, that when we lose it we are totally lost. There were times during my childhood I lived in houses without bathrooms and electricity and hand pumped water. I don't remember it being a great inconvenience. I guess its all what we get used to or get spoiled by. Years from now (one hundred or so), those living then will probably wonder how we managed with all the "conveniences" we have now.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron,

      Don't let the possibility of an earthquake put you off relocating out here. Like I said I have only experienced four in my lifetime so far and one was about five hours north while I was going to college. With all the new rules out here for new buildings, bridges, and retro-fitting old ones it's much safer. I will take earthquakes over hurricanes any day, and now they are working on a warning system. They just add a little excitement to your life. I also live very close to known fault lines, there are a lot of places in California that don't have them.

      Cindy from Sonoma

      Delete
  2. One nice thing about living in civilization is that utilities are more reliable. For the power company, putting my lights back on, means putting them on for 1016 customers (the number of units in the four high rises here) it does make us a priority.

    Good luck with the doctors on Monday.

    Take care,

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Today I just had the MRI taken. That was "fun." Thirty minutes or so in a tube with loud noises.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Well, I hope y'all's power is back on. We here in Alexandria, own our on power plant, gas operated, city owned, the rural folks who live outside the city limits shared your feelings and happenings, they have power outages all the time, a friend of mine who lives in rural Louisiana, was out 7 days here recently, he lives at the end of the line. I feel for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Tommy",
      Power is back on. However, that was the first time it went out three times in one morning. The power was out most of the morning. When I was having this house built down here, the power went out for a week at our house in Pennsylvania. That just emphasized to me another reason to move from Pennsylvania and the "out every two weeks" power.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. The Blustery Gods of Winter are laughing at us, Ron - - but we're both going to survive and have the last laugh. Nasty encounters with ice and power outages will never keep us down. Well,,,,,not for too long, anyway. Keep thinking positive thoughts. They still exist, somewhere.

    I truly appreciate your kind words about my blog. Unfortunately I've been writing rotten posts lately - - nothing but complaints about the pain and misery of winter. I'm sure when the snow finally melts in August I'll be in a better frame of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Indeed, the Blustery Gods of Winter are laughing at us. I don't know who is getting the worst of their wrath now. I think it is you, with your burst water pipes. But really Jon, thank goodness that you can still get around, or can you with your back? This is so frustrating with my leg. Thank goodness I have Bill here to help me but he is getting at his limit too. I didn't realize how much I did until I now have to have someone else do those things. But Bill is being very good about it. He only lost it once this morning but quickly got over it.
      Jon, for all the time I've been reading your blog I've never read a boring one. You are one of those rare individuals have have a born talent for writing. It's like a good actor who is so good he (or she) could read the names in a telephone book and make it interesting. Keep on writing Jon, you have a lot of fans out here. And I hope your situation turns around soon. At least spring isn't too far away and just think of how beautiful your new mountain Tennessee landscape around your home will be.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron, flattery will get you everywhere. I'm glad to know that I have at least ONE faithful fan. Thanks for the kind words and take care.

      Delete
  5. Ron - keep thinking positive. Spring is around the corner with warmer weather and you'll be out there in the garden.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      That is what keeps me going, the hope of spring and working in my backyard. And lots of sun.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. About 25 years ago we lived in a more rural area than we do now. We referred to the local power company as "Intermittent Power and Light." Electricity was a convenience then, but not a necessity. As we aged it became more of a necessity. I still don't trust it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jono,
      The power down here in southern Delaware is a lot more dependable that it was where we lived in the middle of the woods in Pennsylvania. Still, the power goes out down here too. Thank goodness not that often though and not for long. This past Sunday was the longest, almost all morning. Didn't fully come back on until after 12 PM.
      Ron

      Delete