Thursday, February 19, 2015

I Fell

Me at the Emergency Room at Beebe Hospital (again)

Last night I slipped and fell on a patch of ice as I left the hotel.  I had just went out the front door and rounded the corner and WHAM!  I was on my side.  

I laid their awhile to feel if anything was broken.  Sore, I struggled up to go to my car but decided instead to go back into the hotel so sit and evaluate myself because something didn't feel right on the left side of my knee.

Three steps in the front door and a bolt of pain shot right up through my skull!  On a scale of 1 to 10, the paid was 20!  I hit the floor like a sack of potatoes.  And I lay there.  I.COULD.NOT. GET.UP.

My body started to violently tremble (shock).   My mind was racing, "what happened to me?" It only took me a few seconds to realize I had seriously injured myself.  Immediately I thought of the time fifty-three years ago when I was in the Army and one of my Army buddies was horse playing around when we were playing pool, which resulted in me dislocating my right knee.  I thought I had dislocated my left knee.

I lay there on the rug, and the warm lobby (thank God I fell inside), and mentally went over my options.  "Call 911 for an ambulance."  Beebe Hospital was only three blocks up Savannah Road from the hotel.  Here we go again, the ambulance comes for Ron and transports me (again) to the Emergency Room.  

The emergency responders arrived in about ten minutes.  At first I was worried that I had locked the glass door and they wouldn't be able to get into the hotel lobby to get me.  They would have to break the door because I couldn't move without excruciating pain.  I was planning gone crawling to the door.  Thank goodness the door was unlocked and they came in with their stretcher.  

Now wasn't that a sight them trying to lift my 170 lbs of dead weight on that stretcher without me crying in agonizing pain?

Not to make this an excruciating long story but they transported me the three blocks to Beebe Hospital's emergency room.  Again I was so thankful that I didn't live out in the boondocks but instead, just down the street (Savannah Road) from the hospital.

I made my calls on my cell phone.  I was just about to call Bill, when I hear my iPhone beeping.  It was Bill.  I tell him to ask our neighbor Bob M. to bring him down to the hotel so he could get my car and then bring it over to the hospital.

The emergency room staff went through The Drill, which I know now having been to this particular emergency room five times since I moved to Delaware.  My name, date of birth, any allergies, medications, and insurance. 

That done and by now Bill and Bob had arrived. Thank God again I have Bill and a wonderful neighbor like Bob.

X-rays were taken. I get wheeled back to Bill and Bob to await the results of the X-rays.  About a half an hour later the doctor on duty rounds the corner and approaches me with papers in his hand.  The good news . . . no broken bones.  The bad news . . . . my knee pad (what I felt to the left side of my knee right after I fell) was out of place.  He said I would need an MRI at an orthopedic doctor's office.  X-rays only show bones. MRI's will show cartilage and ligaments. I have an appointment tomorrow at 11:10 AM to have that MRI taken.

I am not going to go into the medical terms of the two sheets of the single lined report the doctor gave me but it appears that my knee "padding" is askew.  

The doctor left the papers with me and turned me over to his assistant who put a leg brace on me.  That's what I have now.  I cannot bend my left leg.  Trying going to the bathroom that way (and in my little "mediation" room which I so love for it's privacy but now it's little tight for a 6'3" guy with a straight left leg.

So here I am hobbling around the house, doing everything I can to avoid putting pressure on my leg the wrong way and sending lightening bolts of pain through the top of my head and throwing me to the floor.

You just can't make this stuff up.


It's 10 degrees and very windy outside and I'm wearing shorts.  Same forecast for tomorrow when I venture out of this warm, cozy house for my doctor's appointment.

30 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Maybe you could become a new, "I've fallen...and can't get up spokesperson". Tell 'em you used a Life Alert instead of an iPhone. We'll thank God you didn't get knocked out in the parking lot. Doesn't take long for hyperthermia to set it. Between you and Lois I feel I need kneepads. Hoping it's a quick recovery.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry
      I am SO THANKFUL I had my iPhone on me. If I didn't, I would have laid in that lobby the whole night until Lou came in the morning to open the hotel. Worse, I could have fallen outside (I did actually but managed to get inside before my left leg gave out - my Guardian Angel again) and that would have been a real disaster. I was at my doctor's today and he said I had a knee pad misplacement (it's back now, went back on its own) but possible ligament damage which we will know the extent of when he studies the MRI's that will be taken of me next Monday at the Beebe Health Campus on Rt. 24. I'll have to wear this leg brace,which is very awkward but I have to give my leg time to heal. Larry, be very careful walking on snow and ice, especially ice. You DON'T want this happening to you.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    I am so sorry about your fall, you've had a very rough week! I hope you will recovery quickly and don't need anything more painful done to correct the problem. I sure hope the East warms up soon, I got out of there just in time.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Thanks for your good wishes. Spring can't come soon enough.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. My God, Ron - what a horrible thing to happen! I can only imagine the pain (and humiliation) you've been going through. I'm not going to rehash the old cliche that "it could have been worse". It already sounds pretty damn bad. Thank goodness you were only three blocks from the hospital (it unnerves me to realize how isolated I am, living alone in the mountains).

    If there is a bright side to this misfortune, it's that you can stay home and relax during this brutally cold weather - - and enjoy your new computer.

    Ironically, I went outside the other night and slipped on the ice. I slid all the way down a very steep slope and crashed into my parked car. I hurt my back - - as well as my pride (it's documented on my latest bog post)

    Take it easy, keep warm (if it's possible while wearing shorts), and keep us posted on your progress. And remember - - some day you'll look back at this and laugh. Ha. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Thanks for your good wishes. You know, when I was in the emergency room Wednesday night I was thinking if this happened to you, how would you get to your nearest hospital. How would you tell anyone that you were down and injured and couldn't get up like I was? Thank God (I'm not religious, this is just an ingrained cultural knee jerk expression I have) I had my iPhone on my. That was my Life Alert. Think about it Jon, get a smart phone so you can call if you fall or are injured outside. If I didn't have my iPhone to call when I fell in that hotel lobby I would have laid there all night. I could have easily fallen outside too and froze to death. It was pure luck I happened to walk inside before my left leg gave out. I am convinced that I have a guardian angel. I averted a big disaster. And now you tell me that you fell? Jon, I worry about you living so far out alone with just your cats.
      You are right, there is a bright side to my misfortune. I don't have to go to work in this cold weather. Of course I won't get paid but that's the small price. My accident could have been much worse. I am so thankful it wasn't. Be extra careful Jon when walking on those snow covered hills of Tennessee.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ow! I'm so sorry :-( Heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeffrey,
      Thank you so much for your kind wishes of my recovery. I hope I heal quickly too because I'm really held back now. so much that I've taken for granted I just can't do now.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. YIKES!!!!! Hope you heal quickly and properly. So sorry this happened :-(

    Sean
    Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,
      All that snow and ice you and Jeffrey have, please be very careful. This is a bitch and can happen so easily to anybody.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Oh Ron! I hope it's a simple procedure to put everything back where it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      It looks like I have damaged ligaments. We'll know for sure after I get an MRI. Right now I had a misplaced knee pad which is back in place. I'm sore and I need time to heal. Thanks for your good wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ouch! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Be very careful waling on snow and ice, this could happen to anybody. Thanks for your good wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron - despite what we sometimes hear up in Canada you seem to have a really good medical system. I truly believe up here you might still be on a gurney out somewhere in a hallway. Here's hoping tomorrow's news will be good - like stay off the leg as much as you can for a short period of time.

    You're a tough soldier having gone thru so much lately - hope this latest situation passes quickly.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I am very happy with our medical system. Especially here in southern Delaware. The medical establishment has had plenty of opportunities to treat me and they have always done a superb job.
      Thank you for your good wishes Pat.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. I am so glad you are OK!!!! I fell the other night in my house. Thank God for carpet. The last time I fell on ice I broke my wrist. That sucked, and I have the zipper scar to prove it. You're lucky to have Bill and Bob.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I cannot stress enough, be very careful with this snow and ice season when walking around. What happened to me happened to fast. I couldn't believe it. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Well, maybe the terrorists but not anyone else.
      Ron

      Delete
  10. So sorry you suffered injury, Ron. Hope everything can be be put right with a minimum of fuss. Meanwhile, take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo,.
      I sincerely hope this is my LAST medical crises for a while. This is getting so OLD. Thanks for your good wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  11. Ouch! There's a little humor in having a "straight" left leg... very little. Heal soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,
      Oh I have that "straight" left leg. About the only "straight" part on me. Thanks for your kind wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  12. Oh Ron, I'm glad you weren't hurt worse, notice I didn't ok but I bet you'll be ok. I know how you feel, Back in 2004 I went down on my bike going around 15 MPH. It wasn't fun at all, goes without saying. I guess no chasing around hot 30 year olds. You'll have to let them chase you. I do hope you feel better soon. Randy in NEB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Randy. "No chasing 30 year olds?" Hardly (smile).

      Ron

      Delete
  13. Oh crikey mikey, Ron! That's all you needed - not! I take it you've got some extra-strength analgesics to lessen the agonies when needed, if only slightly.
    Although nothing on your scale, I too lurched over a few hours ago - at 2 a.m. when getting out of bed to have a wee - I mean right over onto the carpet, dragging chairs and clothes onto the floor, sending three snoozing cats scurrying for cover, and leaving me struggling painfully and delicately to get back up onto the bed again. Culprit - dizziness, related to diabetic condition. (Cats thought that since I was up they might as well pester me for some late-night snacks.)
    But anyway, that's all a digression as far as you're concerned. What a bummer for you. Anxious wait now until you get the results to show how much damage was or wasn't done. No 'fun' at all, I'm sure. Lucky there's someone there to support you both physically and mentally, though of course Bill has his limitations too. And the worst of it being that you'll have to give up on all those 10-mile runs you've got diary-listed - at least until you're fighting fit again! Hope that. against the odds, it's just a relatively minor blip, though it doesn't sound like it. Good luck - and do keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      All I can say is be very careful so you don't fall. What we as old folk should be always aware of is falling and breaking our hips. And oh, don't worry about me doing a 10-mile run, I figured out years ago that running was bad for your joints. I do like to walk though. I'm glad you weren't injured when you fell out of your bed.
      Ron

      Delete
  14. I can't believe Beebe Hospital is still there after all these years. On the other hand where would it go? You have my complete sympathy. My knees are history. I had the right one replaced about 15 months ago and the left one is next month. Then I will be pain free until the next thing whatever that may be. Like Emily Litella said, "It's always something!" Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jono. Oh yes, Beebe Hospital is still here and has been a lifesaver for me these past few years. I'm so thankful I live close to the hospital. I've paid enough visits there. About this knee injury, I was so fearful that I would have to replace my knee but thankfully (if I can use that word) I only have a ligament problem, which I guess is bad enough.
      Ron

      Delete
  15. Sorry to hear of this! Hopefully you will have a quick and full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark. I'll tell you what I'm telling everyone now, be very careful when walking outside on this treacherous snow and ice. It could happen to you that fast. And I was being so careful wearing sneakers to work.

      Delete