Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Cajun

"the Cajun!"

My good friend "the Cajun" is very ill.  For those of you who know him from the Bloggerpalooza I am posting a link to his blog posting of today.  Click here.

Wayne at Beebe - yesterday

On my previous blog posting I posted a picture of us together with our friend Jack.  That was a few years ago back when we were all healthier.  I guess it is inevitable as we age our health starts to fail.  For some sooner than later.  

Wayne and me outside the Purple Parrot after one of our Sunday night get togethers


My friend Bob (who I've been posting about) introduced me to "the Cajun" (his real name is Wayne and that is the way I'm going to refer to him from here on out, who cares about stalkers now?) way back in 2004 or thereabouts when I first started to seriously consider retiring to Delaware.  Bob thought the house where Wayne lived with his then partner Tom was ideal for me.  It was and my house much resembles there house.  The house that Wayne no longer lives in.  He and his longtime partner parted ways in 2006, during my move to Delaware.

Me, Tom and Wayne at the Georgetown Airport restaurant


Wayne and I became friends. Platonic friends, there is a distinction (smile).  I helped Wayne move . . . . twice. 

The first new home Wayne moved to after his breakup with Tom

 Once in the pouring rain and once to a third floor apartment in Rehoboth where he lives now. 


Wayne at Dos Locos

Wayne was lonely (he'll hate me for saying this).  I suggested that we met for dinner once at week in Rehoboth Beach, on a Sunday when the crowds were gone.  Thus we began a tradition that lasted a few years.  Other friends joined us. But then Wayne became Ill.  We stopped going out on Sundays. 

Wayne and Violet at the Purple Parrot

Then Wayne became seriously ill. Wayne could no longer work.  He has continued to post on his blog which I have followed faithfully.  This time last year while I was undergoing my Kidney Stone Adventure (along with my prostate cancer treatments) at one time (September over Labor Day) we were both in the hospital.  Wayne also has/had kidney stones.  I'm telling you folks, especially you young folks getting old isn't pretty.  

Me and Wayne at the Purple Parrot

I've been lucky because my medical maladies haven't been near as serious as Wayne's.  But, following his journey on the medical treadmill, he has given me inspiration and many others on how to live, even in difficult times.  Wayne has dealt with his illness the same way he has dealt with his life, with grace, good humor and an attitude that does not suffer fools gladly (which I love).  

Wayne and the gang at the Purple Parrot

I've learned a lot from Wayne and even in this time of his grave illness I am learning even more.

Wayne at Dos Locos

Thank you Wayne for being my friend.  You may not realize it but you are much loved by many.  More than you think.  You are. 

Wayne with his co-worker at the jewelry store where he used to work before Dos Locos

 Peace to you my friend.  

Wayne  at the Lewes-Rehoboth Canal, Lewes DE

18 comments:

  1. WOW! I have never seen these photos. they are FABULOUS, just as is the cajun!

    the old time photo at the top is splendid, a jolly gent who loves life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      I have more where those came from. I've only known Wayne a short time, since I moved to Delaware. But I feel like I've known him a lot longer.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Wayne was always smiling! I remember that from the Bloggerpalooza. I do so hope things take a turn for the better.

    Thank you for the heads up.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Wayne was always fun to be with. I miss those times.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Well Said My Friend ..... Well Said !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      I just say what comes of the top of my head and from my heart. Sometimes it makes sense. I hope this was one of those times.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Before the dog and I walk ou the door this qoute came to mind and you and your compassion to so many people around you!

    Most friends fade
    Or they don't make the grade
    New ones are quickly made
    And in a pinch, sure they'll do
    But us, old friend
    What's to discuss, old friend?
    Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so frustrating to see someone sinking and you can't do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      It doesn't seem like that long ago that we were meeting every Sunday night at the Purple Parrot. I don't know what to say other than to remind folks of the good times and the many smiles.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron,
    I just read your post. I don't have words right now that would bring you much comfort right on the heels of Bob's recent death. I didn't have the opportunity to meet Wayne or any of you this year although that was my intent. The smile that Wayne shows in each picture tells me that even if you didn't say a word about him, who could ignore a smile as genuine as that.
    Hopefully Wayne will have the peace that you wish for him, it would be my wish too.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      Make the most of every day you have in good health. Appreciate your friends. Don't take anything for granted. Too soon it all changes. I wish I could do something for Wayne but I don't know what.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. the cajun says he would like some fresh baked bread in his blog post today. know of a good bakery down there?

      Delete
  7. Harrowing news, Ron. What can one say that would help? Practically nothing. Fervently hoping that you'll yet be able to meet up with Wayne for another reunion (at least!) before time is called. With heavy heart he'll be foremost in my mind in coming hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      We tried this past March to include Wayne at the Bloggerpalooza. He was too ill then to attend. Dr Spo called and offered to pay a personal visit. Wayne was also too ill. I was fortunate enough to catch him at a time he was better and took him out to lunch at the Henlopen Oyster House. He loves oysters (I don't). I would love to take him there again but I don't think that's possible now. Treasure the moments when you have them.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Precisely, Ron. I'm going to dread opening the blogs for a while now, fearing news for the worse, but hoping like mad that he's up and about once more. It seems that hope is all we have left, bless him.

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      He's not going to get better. I hate to say this.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron

    Well I'm lucky to have at least met and spent an afternoon with you Ron and Wayne on the tall boat you so generously took all of us on. While the adventure turned out to be not quite the adventure you had hoped for it was a relaxed time with some good laughs and conversation. I remember Wayne as one who said what he thought and was always ready to laugh.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete