Saturday, September 27, 2014

When Larry Met Dick Clark


I don't usually do a reblog.  In fact, I've never done a reblog but this blog post by my longtime friend Larry is so good I want to share it with my blog followers. 

I'm reposting Larry's blog where he met Dick . . . um Clark. I didn't, he did and he's bragging about it. Who would have ever guessed that Lar would get to Dick before I would.  You just never know.


Now I realize not all of you will find meeting Dick Clark all that fascinating but I thought Lar's blog post on him meeting Dick Clark whereas I DIDN'T meet Dick Clark. Good for Lar. Now I'm giving you all an opportunity to read Lar's Fifties teenage years of self discovery and the first time he met Dick.


The line of yon teenagers waiting to get into American Bandstand, Philadelphia, PA - 1957

Larry is an excellent writer, several time published whereas I am not.  However, Larry is very low key and you all know me, I make a big splash.  Just imagine if I had Larry's talent and Larry had my bombastic nature for self-promotion.  I would be making the rounds of the TV talk shows now incessantly blathering my latest book.  However, that's not the case and here we are, both unknowns except in our little Bubble World of friends and family, never to know the endless horizons of fame and fortune.  


Larry, Pam and me at a dance somewhere in southeastern Pennsylvania - 1959 (I still had my baby fat)

So read if you care to of Lar's adventures during the Fifties teenage dance scene.  He got to meet Dick Clark and I . . . . . didn't.  I get it Larry, you win again (we're very competitive, Lar and I).  Click on the link to Lar's blog below and settle back to return to those days of yesteryear. 

DRINKING OF ELDER MEN: Poppin' the Philadelphia Way and Hot August Days: I decided to coattail on a post written by my friend, Ronald Tipton, recently. He told the tale of his winning a trip to Bandstand in 1958...

6 comments:

  1. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! will hop on over there; exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      They're a hopping and a bopping over Philadelphia way!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    Thank you for sharing my post. The title I used was originally just, "Poppin' the Philadelphia Way", which is a lyric from "Bandstand Boogie". As I was composing I notice the prevalence of August. You appeared on Bandstand in August, I first went to a Dick Clark Dance in August, the Starlight Ballroom burnt in August, etc.

    The photo of you, Pam and I was taken at the Sunnybrook Balloom in Pottstown. It might have been the Glenn Miller orchestra under the direction of Ray McKinley that evening, not positive anymore. I may have taken Pam to one of the Berwyn Dick Clark Shows, but more likely I took Peggy and maybe Sonja.

    Fun days.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      This one I remember. It was the Glenn Miller Orchestra under the direction of Ray McKinley. I thought the orchestra was so cool. I think that was the only time I was there. I used to love to slow dance and having such easy accessibility to a real orchestra was a real treat. I don't even remember how much it cost but it was minimal I'm sure. I thoroughly enjoyed it though.
      Your post was excellent Larry. Where did you get all that good information anyway?
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Hey Ron - thanks for pointing this one out. I read it with much enjoyment. Had no idea of the history - or that Larry was a DJ. If I had to read material like that in history class I would have been a much better student.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Lots of good information in Larry's post. He is loaded with facts like that. I thoroughly enjoyed his post on this subject.
      Ron

      Delete