Monday, September 29, 2014

Horace

Horace - 1982 - 1998

Sixteen years ago this month (September), the only dog I ever had that "chose" me, died.  His name was Horace.  




I didn't plan to get Horace.  I found him quite by accident.  

In 1982 I worked in center city Philadelphia at Girard Bank.  I used to walk down Chestnut Street almost every day to go to lunch at the Colannade Cafeteria at Sixth and Market.  During my walk I would go by a pet store, with a large window in front.  Behind that window were frolicking puppies.  This one day I saw a little orange fur ball trying to keep up with the other larger puppies. I saw that he was a Pom (Pomeranian) and was immediately attracted.  Bill and I already had two older Pomeranians at our home in Downingtown.  We both love Pomeranians.

Against my better judgement I walked in the store, curious as to how much "that puppy in the window" cost. The owner immediately went to the window and plucked the orange puff ball out of the window, took him aside and sprayed him (with deodorant I later found out because this orange ball STUNK) and placed him in my waiting arms.  BIG MISTAKE. 

I left that store with that orange puff ball in a box and went to lunch.  After lunch I returned to my job as an operations manager in the trust department.  I had to keep putting my hand in the box to keep my little puppy from whimpering.  Later I found out I was bonding with him by this action.

At the end of the day I caught my commuter train back to Downingtown, hand still in the cardboard box where my new buddy was temporarily residing.  The train conductor came by and saw the box.  He said "You know we don't allow pets on the train?"  I said "Yes."  What was I supposed to do?  Walk home?  Then he smiled and walked away.

I got of the train in Downingtown.  Bill was waiting for me as he did every day.  I got in the Jeep and put my "package" the back.  He said "What did you buy today?"  This was back in my shopaholic days.  Bill knew me well.  After a slight hesitation, I decided to just put it out there.  I said "A dog."  He said:

WHAT?!

He said "You're kidding!"  I said "No, I bought a dog. You'll like him."  

He said "Take it back!"  

I said "No."  

Long story short, when we got home I took the new puppy out and put him in Bill's arms and the rest is history.



Bill and Baby Horace - love at first sight - 1982


Horace lived with us sixteen long years.  He died in September 1998.  



Horace, my faithful buddy for 16 long years - 1996

Horace outlived his "wife", "T", who we got the next year and his their puppy "Babydoll" who was born a ten months later.  "T" lived fourteen years and "Babydoll" lived eleven years.


Horace and "T", aka as "Mom" and "The Boss" around our house - 1983


"T" and Horace go for a stroll on our idyllic acres in Pennsylvania - those were the days


I've always wanted to get another Pomeranian but Bill is adamantly against ever getting another dog.  He can't take the loss.  Plus, at our age the dog will probably outlive us.  But I saw this video this morning and I fell in love all over again.

I'm thinking about it.



12 comments:

  1. Ron,
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwww, I have a friend who warns me to not look at commercials regarding any dogs, I already have a cat. He knows it wouldn't take much for me to run out and rescue one. Problem is, like you, I hesitate getting a dog. You are right, they might outlive us. In my case I live in a second floor condo and right now the steps are challenging. I try to use them as little as possible and I just can't open the door and let the dog "go". If my health were better or if I know that improvement is possible I would definitely consider a small dog. I've always had dogs when I had houses with yards.
    Horace was a baby doll wasn't he?
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      Dogs do take a lot of care. And they do restrict you, especially for travel. Plus, you can't sleep late if you have a dog or cat, they will wake you up. But if I'm ever alone I will need companionship and I'm too old to go through adjusting living with someone else, so I will probably opt for a cat or a dog, probably a Pom.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron

    I think pets have become way more popular since when I was just a kid. There were always a few dogs and cats in the neighbourhood - but now more and more. Dog walkers, dog parks. Maybe it's a sign of the times - more affluence and fewer families. One category of family in Canada is being single which makes up 30 % of families. We mostly had kittens to cats which I loved and worried about often enough when I was growing up. Now I think I'm best off with plants.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      We always had a dog and cats, sometimes several, growing up. I would love to have a dog or cat now but Bill won't hear of it. He said he would leave the house. I doubt he would but I don't want to put him through that kind of stress at this time of his life. But if I'm ever single again, all options are on the table.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. what a sweet pom! love the coloring too.

    resist the temptation, ron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      I love the orange Poms. Not so much the black or parti-color.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. My sister has the sweetest German Shepard, convinced me that I could fall in love with a well behaved dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I'm not sure if you would want a pet at this time with all your travel. That's the problem I have, if I did travel I would have to board my pet someplace. I did that once to disastrous consequences. My poor little dogs thought I was abandoning them. When I picked them up after my trip, they were both drugged up to a stupor and one had his paw bandaged up from trying to scratch his way out of a cage. That was the last time I boarded a pet, 1976. I would like to travel a bit more before I get too old and feeble to travel. Then I might get a pet when I'm basically housebound.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8:46 PM

    The love of a dog, there's nothing like it. It's true, losing them is so difficult and leaves a hole in your heart. May I make a suggestion? If you don't want to worry about getting a puppy that may out live you, there are usually older dogs from a rescue that need a home. My Emma, who was half Pom came from a rescue. There may be some issues you need to work on, but all but one of my 5 dogs have come from different rescues over the years, and they've all been/are great dogs. You sound like the kind of owner every dog should have. It would be a shame to not share the love. From your photo it looks like you still have quite a long life left. Don't be too quick to put an expiration date on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      I've considered getting a rescue dog but Poms really are my favorite. I would be willing to rescue an adult Pom like my classmate Ted and his wife did. Their Pom was turned in to the pound because he was a problem but now he's fine. Of course they had to work with him at first but now he is fine. By the way, my expiration date is closing in on me fast. I can feel it. I hope not but the signs are there.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron, I am going to be 80 yrs. old next March and 3 years ago, I got Sparkle, a Shi Tzu mix from a rescue group, best guess, she is now 4 yrs. old. She is my reason to get up in the morning and gets me out for 3 walks a day. I have made arrangements for her next home, should I leave before her. I wouldn't be without my little dog and certainly urge you to enrich your life with another little friend, I am sure Bill would relent once he saw that face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie,
      Thank you very much for your comment. I am seriously considering getting another Pom. I have checked the local animal shelter for Poms. I love the name "Sparkle" of your friend. And I understand completely she gives you a reason to wake up in the morning. I know for sure that if I was alone I would get a new "friend", or two.
      Ron

      Delete