Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pat's House ("Hoose")

View of Pat's back yard from his main room


Pat's House (as featured on HGTV) - click HERE.

During my recent stay in Toronto, Canada; I was a guest of the gentleman in this HGTV video of compact living. 


Pat's home office and kitchen


The "gentleman" (and he is in every sense of the word) is my friend Pat.  Pat is a minimalist and this is his minimalist home.  

Pat hasn't seen this video (something to do with him living in Canada not able to access American links) so I hope he can see it on this blog posting.


Pat's loft bedroom


So how did I enjoy my stay at Pat's minimalist digs?  Well, for one thing it was different.  It did take some adjusting but once I did I settled in for a comfortable two week stay.  

Would I ever live this way?  Maybe halfway.  For sure I don't need all the "stuff" I have now.  And I do like the openness of Pat's house.  Even though he has a small house it seemed large because of the height and all the glass which brought the outside inside.  And I do like all of that light.  


Pat's stairway to the stars loft


The only thing I  would change would be perhaps a bit more privacy and better shower arrangements but overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.  

Thank you Pat!


Pat's minimalist Zen garden
Minimalist Pat



10 comments:

  1. Hey Ron - thanks for taking the time to put the HGTV segment on your blog - and I'm always flattered by your generous comments. Unfortunately the video is not playable here in Canada - but I've reached out to a contact for HGTV I was given at the time of the filming and have requested a copy.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I'm glad I could figure it out and put the link to the HGTV segment on my blog to share with my readers. You have a very unique house and I am glad that I could share it. And thank you again for letting me stay at your unique and gorgeous "hoose" in Tiny Town, Tornonto, Ontario, Canada last month. I'm looking forward to my next stay!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly believe in the concept of a minimalistic lifestyle, and I think that it affords a more healthy and less stressful existence. I also agree with Pat's statement that "If you don't use it, you don't need it" (I might be paraphrasing). I love the simple concept and cleanliness of his house (or "hoose").

    Unfortunately, I'm a clutter freak. Even though I am presently trying to downsize - I couldn't exist without my antiques, art collection, books, and pianos. Without my clutter I would feel naked and vulnerable. With a little effort I think I could make a good half-hearted minimalist......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      I'm with you, I could make a "good half-hearted minimalist." I need to and will get rid of a lot of my stuff but some things I just need to hang onto. Whoever cleans out my place after I'm gone can take give the local thrift shops a windfall but not while I'm alive. Pat was worried that I would be uncomfortable staying at his place but to the contrary, I wasn't. I was very comfortable.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. a nice "hoose" for sure! pat would probably survive well in one of those 'tiny houses' we keep seeing around the 'net. I would like to try one myself; but spouse (being a pack rat) would nix THAT idea right up front!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      I've seen those tiny houses on the Internet. Ironically, the section of Toronto where Pat lives is called Tiny Town. It is a street of tiny houses ("houses") but Pat's looks larger than the rest because of it's height and all the windows letting the light in. I especially loved the effect of brining his back yard garden right into his house with the large glass window in the back of his house.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. where is the bottle of scotch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat stored it . . . . . . . somewhere for your next visit.

      Delete
  5. WOW !!!!!

    ......... nice "hoose" :) Something I would love, but could never have; because I'm a poor financial planner ("spender" ~ or an excellent one, if you're a merchant) :/

    "BZ" ...... "FOGGY"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FOGGY,
      With a few minor "adjustments", I could very well live in such a "hoose." It's funny but I didn't miss any of my "things" during my two week stay at Pat's house. The only changes I would put in place would be a portable Japanese cream colored silk screen in front of the window on the first floor, and a larger shower. And perhaps a headboard on the bed. Other than those few changes, Pat's house was perfect.
      Ron

      Delete