Saturday, September 20, 2014

Class Reunion

The official DHS Class of 1959 55th reunion photo - I'm in the flowered shirt in front of the guy in the red shirt who I see I am blocking - just like me isn't it?


Today was the day of my 55th high school class reunion.  

Downingtown High School, Class of 1959.  Yep, we were the last "Fifties" class to graduate in Downingtown.  

The first reunion I attended was the 20th, then the 25th, 35th, 40th, 45th, 50th and now the 55th.

This reunion was held at the Downingtown Country Club in Downingtown (of course).  It was perfect.  PERFECT.  A perfect location, the food (buffet style) was perfect, the room was magnificent.  The organization was perfect and the weather was perfect.  Do  you get the picture?  It was a perfect day.  

The one selfie I took outside the country club entrance


If there was one quibble I had it was that I totally forgot to include myself in any of the pictures.  The only pictures I am in are the group shot (I asked one of the waiters to take the shot) and a couple of random room shot.  No closeups this time of me folks.  What a loss!  

Also, I mean to take more closeups of all my classmates but since I was the photographer (my friend Mark couldn't attend) and the attendee, I lost many opportunities to catch those spontaneous moments.  

But never the less, I had a wonderful time.  I hope we do this again next year instead of waiting five years.  At our ages (72 and 73), some of us might not be around five years from now.  In fact, that a pretty good bet that some of us won't be Waltzing Matilda in 2019.  If we are, we'll be on walkers.

A great day folks!  

That's me to the left walking with the black strap over my torso (where I was going I don't know)

11 comments:

  1. You should have said, "That's me with the wild hair." Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,
    Looks like you had a great time. How many were in your graduating class originally? It looks like you still have a decent group considering the time span. Unfortunately I was unable to attend my 50th in 2012 as I was taking care of my mother. If we have a 55th I'll consider it. We had a graduating class of about 600 so it would be interesting to see who has survived and is well enough to make the next one.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      We had 102 in our class. We had about 40 attending this reunion. About 25 have died, some missing (never did find out what happened to them) and some never attend. I hope we have our reunion at the same place next year. This location and time (12 PM to 3 PM) was perfect. And at $30 a head, cheap.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. That's a wonderful reunion photo - everybody looks really great, after a span of 55 years. I'm glad you had a perfect day, Ron. I've had so few lately that I've forgotten what perfect days are like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I loved the location of this reunion. The from where we gathered was big enough, unlike previous years where we were squeezed in the size of the Chicago Bar and Grill. Also, the Downingtown Country Club had these great steps that we could stand on for our photo. I hope we have our yearly reunions from here on out.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Even way back in 1959 I see you already had a penchant for eye-catching shirts - in fact isn't that the very same shirt you're sporting in the lower photo? I do believe it is.
    Pleased it went so well. Everyone's thoughts will be identical, and it's quite understandable - who among us will be around for the next one? Let's hope and assume that you'll be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      That is the same shirt. I was wearing it yesterday before I went into the country club for the reunion. I love those gatherings! And yesterday's location was perfect.

      Yes, most of us will be wondering "who's next?" Whose pictures will be on the Memorial Table?
      Ron

      Delete
    2. The very same shirt? Are you serious? Do you call it your 'Dorian Gray-in-reverse' shirt?

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      I think we missed something here. That shirt I'm wearing I bought this summer at Walmart. Actually it is one of my favorite shirts now. Funny thing though, it's one of the cheapest shirts I ever bought. It was on the sale rack for $5.00. It also fits me perfectly and feels so well. I love it. I think you misunderstood my post. I didn't have that shirt years ago, just at this reunion.
      Ron

      Delete
    4. Ah, that explains it. I'd hoped that it was 'crossed wires' between us. It's still a snazzy shirt, though.

      Delete