Thursday, September 25, 2014

Happy Birthday Bill

Bill, this morning on his 86th birthday


Bill Kelly, my longtime (sometimes suffering) partner (49 years) and (now) husband (1 year) has a birthday today.  Happy birthday Bill!

Bill is . . . . uh . . . 86 years old today.  Take a look at this hunk, doesn't he look great for 86?  I tell you, he's going to outlive all of us.

Bill doesn't exercise, eats gobs of mayonnaise, loves salt and, perhaps the biggest aging factor, he has to endure put up with me and my frantic antics.  But then, maybe my roller coaster, dramatic, diva, self-absorbed, me, me, me life has kept him on his toes.  One thing Bill has always said "Life is never boring with you Ron!"  Frustrating, aggravating, tiring . . . you name it.  I've provided many opportunities for Bill to throw in the towel and say "You're not worth the trouble Ron" but he keeps putting up with me and my peccadilloes.   



You see this man in the photo above folks?  From the day he met me on that rainy summer night in 1964 Saturday night at the Westbury Bar in Philadelphia, that man has treated me (with a few minor exceptions) like the prince that I am. Who else would do that?  No one, that's who. 



So what are we planning for Bill's birthday?  Nothing special.  Bill doesn't like to go out to restaurants (except that smelly one in Milton because no one is there and they have booths).  He definitely doesn't like birthday parties.  You know what he likes for his birthday?  A nice birthday card.  I got him one yesterday at Giant.  

Happy birthday Bill!  


Bill and "Sparky" - his Main Dog - Philadelphia - 1972

25 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Bill! He sure is aging gracefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian. Bill doesn't read my blog posts any more (he doesn't like my references to Pat) but I will relay your birthday wishes to him.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Bill! And m-a-a-a-a-a-ny more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,
      I used to joke that Bill will outlive us all. Now it's not so much a joke. Just a few weeks ago, his nephew, who he never met (Bill has been estranged from his family for over 50 years since they found out he was gay) and who found Bill through my blog, died. He was only 54 years old. So many of our friends and relatives are dying and Bill just keeps going on. I asked Bill if he would inform everyone when I die, which I'm pretty sure will be before he does, and he said "Your blog of course!" Thee are the discussions we always have when someone we know well (Bob McM.) dies.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY HUGS AND KISSES TO BILL!!!!! :-)

    (and any man that puts up with you deserves a BIG prize)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it Anne Marie. Anyone who puts up with me and my antics, deserves the BIG prize!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to Bill !!!

    Are you going to spank him 86+1 times?

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      Yeah, sure.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,
    Happy birthday to Bill. I am sure that his mellow demeanor is a compliment to your high energy, and that's what makes a long lasting relationship work. May he (and you) have many more years.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      Bill has a "mellow demeanor"? You don't know Bill. 😗 I do have the high energy though. But Bill is more private that I am. I'll pass along your birthday wishes to him.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to Bill. He shares this birthdate with one of my sons! They ought to look sort of alike or something. Best to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geo. I'll pass along your birthday wishes to Bill.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron - this is for Bill (in case he makes a special exception today to read your blog).

    All the very very best to you Bill and oodles more birthdays to come. You are an amazing example of living the good life - healthy, active, great sense of humour (can sp) and so smart with electronics. And, and - you've survived all these years with Ron! My hearty congrats to you Bill. I'm going to quickly look for an ecard to send you.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Although Bill says he doesn't read my blog, I suspect he sneaks a peak every now and then. Even so, I'll pass along your birthday wishes to Bill.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday to Bill,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. I'll pass along your wishes to Bill.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Anonymous9:24 PM

    A very Happy Happy to Bill! I'm glad he let you take his picture (I recall you mentioning that he is camera shy) to mark the occasion. Also, after the loss of your friend, a little joy and reminder of life will hopefully help.
    ~~~ NB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NB,
      Oh definitely Bill does not like his picture taken. But he relented this one time. Yes, Bill's birthday is a reminder of the joy of life and does help. Tomorrow we visit Bob and Jim's 94 year old friend that they were going to "take care of." Just goes to show, you never know how the best laid plans will work out.
      Ron

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday, Bill!!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I'll convey your birthday wishes to Bill.
      Ron

      Delete
  11. Wishing you (in retrospect) most happy returns for yesterday, Bill. Depending on you to keep Ron on the straight and narrow - well, the second of these, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Thank you for your well wishes for Bill's birthday. Bill's been trying to keep me on the straight and narrow for fifty years now. It's a lost cause. I'm all over the place, always have been and always will be.
      Ron

      Delete
  12. Nice photo! He's smiling. :) Add my best wishes to the long list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,
      Yes! He's smiling. One of the rare occasions I persuaded him to stop for a second and have his picture taken. Thank you for your birthday wishes to Bill. I told him a lot of people have wished him a happy birthday.
      Ron

      Delete
  13. May this next year be his best one yet.

    ReplyDelete