Monday, December 09, 2013

72, 71 and 67

Me, Barbara and Wayne deCajun at the Henlopen Oyster House today

"Now what is Ron writing about?" you ask.  "72, 71 and 67" are the respective ages of the three kidney stone survivors fine folks in the photo above that was taken today at the Henlopen Oyster House in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

Today is my neighbor Barbara's 71st birthday.  I know, I know….I can't believe she's 71 years old either.  She can't either.  She told me as much as I drove her down to Rehoboth Beach for lunch this afternoon.  Of course I'm the Old Dude at 72 (that's me on the left in the blue V-neck L.L. Bean pullover 100% cotton sweater).  Wayne deCajun is seated on the right and he, the dear, is the youngster in the group at 67.  


"The Oysters Rockefeller are a bit dry here."
Today was one of those quiet off season days that we locals so cherish.  Gone were the summertime crowds.  Gone was the crush of aggressive motorists looking for ever dwindling parking spaces.  Gone was the sun…..to. It's been raining here today folks…..all day. 



But you'll hear no complaints from this quarter about the rain.  My friend Tom J. of West Chester sent me this photo yesterday proving that he had "six inches"…….of snow.  My friend Larry M. of Claymont Delaware called me on FaceTime yesterday bragging about his "eight inches".


Larry's 8 inches
I'm telling you, these guys….always bragging about how many "inches" they have.  Why it's almost enough to make one feel inadequate.  

Seriously folks, I am SO GLAD we didn't get snow.  SO GLAD.  Oh I know there are those who say "It is so pretty" and "Isn't it nice and Christmasy?"  Tell you what folks, I'll look at the reports on TV and listen to my friends brag about how many inches they got but for me, I'll take a rainy day in Rehoboth any day having lunch with my good friends Barbara and Wayne deCajun.  

So what did we talk about?  Our medical maladies of course. Yes, we have become our parents.  When we get together we exchange horror stories of our journeys through the medical maze that is the lot of 72, 71 and 67 year olds who are exceptionally prone to kidney stones.  Ironically, even though the three of us have had our bouts with kidney stones (and that's saying something), our medical dramas this year are all different.  

We all agreed to meet the same time next year, providing we're still here.  However, a good time was had by all today.

Happy birthday Barbara!








11 comments:

  1. we got 3 inches (of snow). de cajun looks pretty damn good for his troubles! and happy birthday to your pretty neighbor; she CANNOT be over 70! of course, you just get better and sweeter with age! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      I remember when I was an arrogant youth, I used to think people in their 40's were OLD. Sixties? That was ancient. Funny isn't it how one's perspective changes as one enters the SENIOR YEARS.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Good times! I can't believe Cajun is 67!!! He doesn't look a day over 60! HAHAHA (I better be careful here, I might be eating at the restaurnat again.)

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      I first met the Cajun when he was a mere lad of 60 or so. Time flies.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. we brought our snow measuring stick (good for up to 2ft of snow) and placed it in our yard, but it appears to be busted: it hasn't registered any snow since we came here in 2005.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Your snow stick isn't broken. You don't have any snow in Arizona!

      Ron

      Delete
    2. oh my! no wonder!! I will try to tell as many people as I can in town!

      Delete
  4. Happy belated birthday to Barbara! The 3 of you really look fantastic! I am so glad I live in an area where there is no snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      I am so glad I moved to southern Delaware. We almost always miss the snow storms. A few years ago we got hit but that was an exception. I'm must fine with a sprinkling of snow that disappears the next day.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron

    I'm thinking - this year I won't mind so much if there's snow. No longer have to make it to work. Still I do have to go out - but at least to some extent I can plan that. And I must admit there's a magic in a snowy evenings walk (or daytime) when light sparkles on the snow and the air is pure. One of the problems with the snow and cold of winter is I don't often dress adequately for it. Alas, I'm still dreaming of a white Christmas.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      It is a relief when you're retired and you don't have to worry about how to get to work in bad weather. I relish those times when I can just turn over and get another 40 winks while I hear the wind and rain and snow beating against my bedroom windows, urging me to get up. I hope you're able to enjoy those times now that you're retired.

      Ron

      Delete