Sunday, December 29, 2013

Happy Birthday!

Pat on the Kalmar Nyckel this past August

I know somebody who has a birthday today.  Happy birthday Pat!

Pat on FaceTime this morning receiving my "Happy Birthday!" greeting - 65 years young today!

Pat is my Canadian friend who happened to stumble across my blog last summer.  He saw a photo on the Internet testifying before the Delaware State legislature for Marriage Equality. 

The photo of me that was splashed on the Internets that caught Pat's eye - I think it was the sport jacket - I never wear a jacket unless I'm testifying before a government committee (which is to say never)

Intrigued, Pat did a little research and found my blog "Retired in Delaware"(the same one you're reading now) and discovered that we had a lot in common. 
 


Pat and I at the Brickside Grill in Downingtown, Pennsylvania - Trivia Night!

I invited him down for next year's Bloggerpalooza (as I do all my blog readers - hear that?).  I also invited him down for an Old Time photo which he took me up on. He came down this past August and we took that photo!

 

We discovered immediately that we have a lot in common.  In fact I think I found my alter ego.  All the grains of sand that are people in the world and I found someone who is so like me and Pat found someone who is so like him.  Imagine that?  So there you go all you naysayers who say we spend too much time on the Internet and not enough time getting to know folks around us.
Pat in the lobby of Hotel Blue where he stayed during his visit to Dela-Where?
Just a few minutes ago I read a blog posting by another friend of mine who I met through the Internets, Dr. Spo.  The subject of his posting was "why is it so hard to make friends in the neighborhood where you live?"  You know folks, that my question too.  I've lived in southern Delaware now since 2006 and have only made a few friends, even though this is one of the heaviest gay couple (4th) populated areas in the country.  I don't have an answer, wish I did.  However, this I do know, I (and Bill) have made a good friend with Pat and it wouldn't have been possible if not for the Internet.  In fact, I've made more friends through my blog and the Internet than I have made here in little ole Gayberry.  Go figure.  

So anyway, happy birthday Pat!  

Pat and me at the Love sign during our visit to Philadelphia in November for MY birthday

18 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAT! hope you got your power back on!

    will meet you in march!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      You have another boyfriend with Pat. He's a sweetheart. He's looking forward to meeting you too!
      Ron

      Delete
    2. you HAVE warned pat that I am a stick of dyn-o-mite, right? not a typical woman, yadda yadda yadda. and HOW COME he doesn't read MY blog?

      Delete
    3. Anne Marie,
      I told Pat you're a sweetheart which you are! Pat isn't a blog reader. He only found my blog because he saw my picture and wanted to know more about me. I tease him about not reading my blog. I didn't tell him I posted this blog about him. I'm going to see how long it takes him to read it then I'll tease him about it. Pat's a pretty busy guy what with his yoga, and playing for two bands (bass) plus all the other things he does. He just retired recently and like all of us other retirees, he wonders how he had time enough to do everything when he worked. I just tried to contact him now but he's in church. He's a busy guy. I'll get on his case though about reading your blog.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. So you are another Christmas baby, Pat! (mine was 9 days ago) And yes still just a baby at 65!

    I could wish you Merry Medicare if you lived in the USA, but you've had Happy Healthcare for years in Canada!

    Hope 2014 with be a great new year for all of you: Ron, Bill, and Pat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      A LOT of December Babies! I think I know more people who were born in December than any other month. David, are you coming to the Bloggerpalooza in March? I'll introduce you to Pat then.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:33 AM

      Wow! Yesterday was my birthday as well! A lot of great ones born in December. Daniel and I took a nice stroll, here on the sunny Alabama Gulf, after a nice meal at a local restaurant. Happy Birthday Pat!! Your friend, James

      Delete
    3. Happy birthday James! So many December birthdays to remember and as you say, all the "great ones!" :)

      Have a happy New Year James!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. You know, I've made more gay friends here in the blogosphere than in real life, too. And I love when the blog buddies wind up as IRL friends, too!!! And that has happened.

    Happy birthday, Pat!!! Can't wait to meet you IRL!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Same here Jay, I've made more gay friends (and straight ones too!) through my blog. Surprising isn't it but then we're in the Digital Age and this is the new normal. I love it!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. My mother was born on December 21st and my sister December 29th, just like Pat. Wishing Pat a wonderful year, meeting all your friends, who will become his, at Bloggerpalooza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Yet another December 29th birthday! Looking forward when you can come to our annual Bloggerpalooza and met all the wonderful bloggers and their friends, spouses and significant others.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Please convey my best wishes to Pat also, His presence via your blog, Ron, give me renewed hope that I too may yet become aware of a 'Mr Special' with whom I can actually meet up. But, for the moment, I trust you had a happy one, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      "Mr. Special" is out there. I often thought "Of all the billions of people out in the world, there MUST be somebody that is my soulmate." And there was. Never give up, he's there.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Anonymous12:37 PM

    Thanks Ron! Sorry I haven't commented very much lately. But for some reason this holiday season has been soooo hectic!! Trips to New Orleans, to Daniel's family's Christmas, has taken it's toll. I am very worn out!!! Should be back in routine by Friday though. Have a great New Year Ron!!! Your friend, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you James. Always good to hear from you.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron

    Well, geez, here I am late again when everyone has come and gone. And here I am the guest of honour. Thank you one and all for the well wishes and the looking forward to actually meeting in the spring. I certainly look forward to it. Ron is one heck of a terrific guy - well worth the drive down. Anne Marie - I must admit I'm not much of a reader - Ron will attest to that. However I have a new years resolution to read blogs occasionally of all the fine bloggers who write into this site. I always enjoy the wit, comments and points of view. I'm afraid Sunday was a washout from the party the nite before. And - yes - I do believe all the electricity has been restored.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pat,

    Happy birthday Pat!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete