Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve

Well, here we are folks….Christmas Eve.  Got all your shopping done?  If not, now is the time to run right out of your house (don't trip over the bunched up rug) and get some of those last minute Christmas bargains.  In my Previous Life, when I actually did a whole lot of Christmas shopping (for family, friends and co-workers) I found Christmas Eve day was the perfect time to shop.  You just had to hope for good weather, not the kind of weather my friend Pat in Toronto has now.  I haven't heard from him for a while, probably still without power along with about a quarter million of his fellow Torontonians (boy, is saying "Torontonians" exercises the mouth doesn't it)?

We're (me and Bill) are keeping a low profile today.  The weather is still sunny but gone is the balmy, spring like 78 degrees temperatures of yesterday.  We're down to 38 degrees now.  Wow. Good thing I trimmed our knockout rose bushes over the weekend before the cold front returned. 


Me and The Bill

Bill wants to take me out to dinner tonight.  Bill hates to go out but he does like the Bay Leaf in Milton.  The last few times we've been there, we weren't pleased with the quality of the food.  We've had good meals and not so good meals there.  However, the booths are comfortable and the service good.  A new restaurant open across the street from the Bay Leaf.  It's called "The Backyard."  Hey, no one is getting awards for originality here in naming restaurants.  




Bill and I ventured in last week for the first time.  Interesting decor but uncomfortable for us.  Padded seats along the wall and little tables for four out on the floor.  Service was slow and the soup and fries were lukewarm to cold which really wasn't acceptable since the waitresses outnumbered the patrons by at least four to one.  Lots of running around put slow service.  


I do like me French Fries hot and spicy, crisp on the outside and soft on the inside (just like my men) but this staple of restaurants apparently is hard to do.  So rare that I get hot fries when I order them.

I went back again on Saturday by myself to give them a second chance.  Service was bit better.  The food?  All right and reasonable priced.  I didn't take a chance with the fries.  Once you serve me cold fries I tend not to go back for repeat.  After all, how hard is it to bring out hot fries?  Reminds me of every visit I've made to the "Rose and Crown" in Lewes.  Always cold fries.  Maybe it's the new thing.  I don't like it.  


Rambling on here folks.  My thang.  

I think this evening I'll make some whiskey (Jack Daniels) balls. Also some chocolate chip cookies.  This Christmas Eve is one of those rare ones where I'm not working.  On those rare occasions I like to make cookies by myself (Bill's in bed as usual at 7 pm), with the TV on, hopefully the 1951 (Alistar Sim) version of "The Christmas Carol."  Before I go to bed I look out my bedroom window at the darkened cold night sky to see if I can find that brightest star in the sky.  











14 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Don't know what you got in these videos, but they are both blocked on the basis of copyright infringement.

    lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I don't know why you're having a problem viewing the videos. I got them through JibJab which is a paid subscription. I can see them both on my blog and Facebook account. I assume JibJab is paying Jose Feliciano a royalty to use his song "Felice Navidad."

      Ron

      Delete
  2. The video worked fine for me - - undoubtedly because there are no laws - copyright or otherwise - here in Texas (am I trying to be funny, or is it true??). I'm glad you have off from work for Xmas Eve. Whiskey balls and chocolate chip cookies sound fine to me. I've had many kinds of balls in my time (*smile*) but I don't think I've ever had whiskey balls. What the heck are they?

    By the way, the 1951 Alistar Sim movie is my very favorite version of "A Christmas Carol".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first read your blog today, the second video wasn't on it. I just now watched it. I love that jingling K-Mart commercial!

      Delete
    2. Jon,
      Very observant! I added the K-Mart video later. I love it too! So cool.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. the reindeer ARE cute; yeah, it DOES work better with the boys faces. I was able to watch the video with no problems. perhaps larry needs to check his flash player to see if he has a recent edition; 2 friends of mine had the same problem until they upgraded their flash player.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      Larry's flash player has been expired for some time now. Wait! Ooops! I'm making my Bloggerpalooza boyfriends work overtime. This year I'll have to make sure to get some good direct, on the face head shots for next year's JibJab videos.
      Have a wonderful Christmas Eve. I'm off to make some Bourbon Balls now.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I can see the videos too, on your blog and on Facebook. They always make me laugh! I hope the dancers appreciate them too.
    Enjoy your Christmas eve and Christmas day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Every time I look at those JibJab videos that I made, I have to laugh. So funny. It looks like I'm making my Bloggerpalooza friends work overtime. I've never seen them that active……or slim. :)

      Have a wonderful Christmas Nadege!

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Jon,
    Very annoying these copyright laws especially since I have a paid subscription to JibJab and I assume they have paid any royalties to wherever they get their music. No matter, I sent the videos direct to Facebook through my JibJab account.
    Whiskey Balls or Rum Balls (you make "Whiskey Balls" if you have no rum in the house) are a very simple confection concoction made of ground Nilla wafers, confectioner's sugar, corn syrup, ground pecans, cocoa and soaked in either bourbon, rum, or another whiskey then stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks (no freezing). No baking necessary. "Season" them for about two days and yum! Very tasty.
    I'm going to look for that 1951 Alistar Sim version of "A Christmas Carol" tonight so I can have it as background while I make the Bourbon Balls tonight. One of my favorite Christmas Eve activities when I'm not working, which this year I'm not!

    Have a wonderful Christmas Jon.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. hohoho
    interesting how male genitalia was always verboten while female was 'OK"; how people are not outraged if there is phallus reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      One of my pet peeves is the current fad to refer to male genitalia as "junk." Not so. Seems to me that when someone uses that derogatory reference to the most interesting part of the male body (both straight and gay men and women agree if they're honest), they are trying to prove they're "not interested. Uh huh.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I agree! Words that are damaging < junk, bitch, ho, and I don't like boy much either.

      Delete
    3. Dr. Spo,

      First time I heard that word "junk" referring to the male genitalia I thought "What do they know?" IT'S NOT "JUNK" TO ME! I knew then and there whoever came up with that term was probably a closet case or a self hating homosexual. Indeed.

      Ron

      Delete