Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Didn't Win!!!!!!

Guess who at 16 years old?
What's with that hand?  Damn, gay from Day One.


Well folks, I'm sure this doesn't come as a surprise to some of you but I DIDN'T WIN THE MEGA MILLIONS JACKPOT!  How about that?  There goes my plans for transporting the entire group of friends attending next year's Bloggerpalooza to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico for the shindig.  Oh well, maybe the next half a billion jackpot I'll be luckier.

Okay, while I pout a bit here over my missed chance I think you will enjoy this little film clip that I produced from my father's old 8mm film.

The clip shows me as a very self-conscious 16 year old (1958) with our family dogs in the front yard of our new home in East Brandywine Township, Downingtown, Pennsylvania.  Up until 1958 our family lived in a second floor, roach infested apartment in town Downingtown and another 2nd floor apartment on Boot Road above the Gindy Manufacturing Company offices.  Quite a culture shock to leave the roaches behind and breath in fresh air.  

This clip shows me at my most self-conscious.  Oh how I remember those days.  I was shirtless because I thought I could get a tan.  HA!  I wanted to bad to be the tan and muscular idols of my youth like Tab Hunter.  WHAT WAS I THINKING!


You know boys and girls?  Looking back on those days I am glad I was the way I was and not the stereotypical, Hollywood manufactured, shallow sex object.  But remembering those days, I was so ashamed of myself.  How skinny I was, no tan, no muscles, no self-confidence.  

It's interesting to look back now and realize how screwed up I was, mainly because I grew up in a small town, was constantly belittled and mocked by my father (probably because I wasn't the butch, deer shooting and gutting, eldest son he wanted.  Well, guess what Pop?  Neither of his two succeeding sons ever accompanied him on any of his hunting trips either.  But I was the only one who turned out to be gay…..and from Day One.  Check out my hand to my face.  What was that ALL ABOUT?  No wonder he didn't take me hunting. 


16 comments:

  1. Sorry about your non-win, Ron, but there's always a next time. (The trouble is, there ALWAYS is a next time!)
    I wonder which you would choose - either to win the mega-millions prize outright now, or to be back in that 16 year old body but with all the knowledge you've acquired to date. I'd find it hard but would probably choose the latter (though, unlike you, I don't have others to consider).

    Thanks very much for your season's wishes, which I most heartily reciprocate - and look forward to seeing you in 'action' again around the year's turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Not real surprised that I didn't win. Oh I would definitely want to win now instead of with a 16 year old body. I fear if I had won as a 16 year old I would not have had the wonderful life experiences I've had.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Well - today we have a very subdued Ron Tipton. Now it can't be because you didn't win that lottery. But a very nicely composed video. And the irony of it all. What some people wouldn't give to have your shape then and now. You are still rakish - I think that's fine. just glad we're all different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      Do I seem subdued? Well, maybe I am. Back to being poor. I'm used to it, I've been poor all my life. But you know what? If I had a choice to be me or Bill Gates, or Mark Zuckerberg or Michael Bloomberg; I would choose me in a flash.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    1958 when you were probably 16 when filmed. Did you splice in an older clip of your father? Surely John and Barb weren't married in 1958 to create the dog's name. I think I'll take my old films in and have them converted to DVD.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      By brother John and Barb were boyfriend girlfriend back in 1958. They weren't married until December of 1963. As a matter of fact they're getting ready to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Barbara asked me to send her a clip. That's what got me started on these old 8 mm films. You should take your old films in and have them converted to DVD. They you can pull of individual frames.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron, you were a great looking kid at 16, and that hand to the cheek was once a common gesture --at least among my Portuguese relatives-- which probably fell into disuse after Jack Benny retired. Better lottery luck next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,
      I don't know what that hand to cheek movement was but it sure does look gay doesn't it?
      Ron

      Delete
  5. That is a great film clip, Ron -- and know what? You don't appear gay at all !!! Instead you should see some of my 8 mm films. We were about the same age and I had a movie with me driving up into the driveway in a 1955 blue Ford Customline, and getting out of the car and swishing across the yard. I had not had my driver's license very long. Now my movie was embarrassing, you not yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Oh sure, I don't look TOO gay do I? Well, actually, I did much to the consternation of my father who I think was hoping for a son a little butcher. Didn't happen. I would love to see your movie. Any chances of that happening?
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Those movies have to be somewhere at the farm, but I have not been able to find them, and they are still in 8 mm format. If I ever find them, I would love to transfer them to DVD. That description just came out of my memories, which you prompted.

      Delete
    3. David,
      I forget exactly where I found my father's old 8mm films, I think it was on the floor in the back of a dusty closet at the old family home in Pennsylvania. No one else in the family was interested or would take the time to transfer them to a VHS format (my brothers? Are you kidding?). I'm glad I did but it is frustrating that once you transfer them to the latest format, there is a new format. This is the fourth transfer I have made of these 8mm films. I'm sure they were be another format before I'm finished my stay on this earth. At least I have some of his film memories on YouTube for future generations of my family, if they care to see it.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. LOVED the videos - especially the "old stuff". In 1958 I was 12, and it was a memorable year (Summer Camp in New Hampshire). I've got about 300 feet of Super 8 film I need to X-fer into DVD's. - mostly "Vietnam Stuff".

    Keep playing the Lottery. It's cheap, and you'll never know when you'll "hit it" :))

    "Bravo Zulu" ------ "FOGGY" :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Foggy,
    Glad you like the videos. More coming a little later. I don't have any "Vietnam Stuff" thank God.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ron, I think you were a great looking 16yr old, from the picture I would have thought you were at least 18 yr. If you were 16 when I was, I'd be thinking how I could get your attention. I think most teenagers are self conscious and worried what others think about them, I know I did. That photo of you vactioning at P-town, stretched out on your deck wearing cut-offs, looking like a very self assured young man. Sorry you didn't win MM, I heard on my local radio. Somebody in my town got the 5 MM balls but no MM ball. They get to take home $1 mil. minus state and fed. taxes, unfortunately it wasn't me. Also the photo of Tab Hunter and (Roddy Mcdowel?) Tab holding up a sausage. Do you see what I see there? A little bit of a innuendo? o_0 I too love your old 8mm movies maybe instead of music -some narrative to go with it? As always your blog's a pleasure, which reminds me I need to do more with mine! Randy in NEB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Randy,

    I keep checking your blog for updates……but…..where are the updates? Just let it all hang out Randy. You are so right about most of us being so self-conscious when we're younger. I remember well how self conscious I was. In retrospect, maybe I needn't of been because I wasn't alone in my thinking. Now I'm not self conscious at all. I wonder how my life would have been different if I had more self confidence at that time of my life. By the way, I missed the subtle message of Tab holding up a sausage. Good catch!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete