Monday, December 23, 2013

Daddy's Kitchen

One of my favorite spots to eat is a restaurant just off of Rt. 896, just across the border from Delaware to Pennsylvania.  The restaurant is called "Daddy's Kitchen" and it is in the heart of mushroom country; Landenberg, PA.

Last month my friend Pat and I took this route to Pennsylvania to celebrate my birthday in Philadelphia.  The restaurant is located about halfway up the 125 mile trip from Milton, Delaware to Downingtown, Pennsylvania.  "Daddy's Kitchen" is not a big restaurant, just a small, hideaway in an even smaller strip mall.  In fact I discovered it last year when I stopped to get gas.  

Ever the adventurer, I'm always one to try new restaurants as long as they're not too pricey and exclusive.  I'm all about good food, reasonable prices, comfortable seating environment and good service.  "Daddy's Kitchen" scores high on every one of my modest requirements for a good dining experience.  Even Bill likes it and you all know how Bill HATES to dine out.  "Daddy's Kitchen" has to have the best mushroom soup that's ever made its way down my pie hole.  YUM!  Of course Daddy's Kitchen is located in the heart of mushroom country.  In fact, this area of southern Chester County (Pennsylvania) is the mushroom capital of the world.  Lots of crap here folks but I digress.  


Daddy's Kitchen info


Pat's easy to talk to new restaurant adventures even though he is a strict vegan; no meat and no dairy products.  In fact, Pat won't even eat vegetables that share the same refrigerator space with those aforementioned non-vegan food groups.  Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a wee bit but he's pretty strict about what passed through his lips.  

Well, Pat wasn't disappointed with Daddy's Kitchen.  They happily prepared a fresh steamed veggie bowl for him.  What a restaurant!  What service!  

Our meals, guess who isn't the vegan.  Yup! Those fries belong to moi.

Pat checking the vegan options on the menu at Daddy's Kitchen

8 comments:

  1. and it's not a chain restaurant! :)

    have never heard of this place, but will have to check it out. I'll start by googling it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      Daddy's Kitchen is just a small place but it's like eating at home. Everything is fresh made, not half made then warmed up when the customer orders. You can tell the difference right away. Maybe the fact that it's located in southern Chester County horse county, which is uppity uppity has something to do with it. A higher class clientele and not the summer tourist. But the prices are surprisingly reasonable, again probably because they're not paying a high rent. It's just a good place to eat. Hard to find these days.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. "...Pat won't even eat vegetables that share the same refrigerator space with those aforementioned non-vegan food groups."

    Haha, sounds like Pat is quite the vegan chauvanist...lol!

    I eat mostly veggies, fruits, nuts, fish, etc., and very little meat. But I'm not OCD about it! If I'm hungry and a ham sandwich is all that's available, then a ham sandwich it is!

    Merry Christmas everyone!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      I was just kidding about Pat not eating vegetables that share refrigerator space with non vegetables. I'm leaning vegetarian myself but I doubt that I will ever go completely vegan. I still like eggs and dairy products but meat is becoming increasingly hard for me to digest.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. If I'd seen the second photo in isolation I might have guessed it was Patrick Stewart (same first name, too!). Very lookey-likey.
    The more I read about him (your Pat, I mean) the more I feel that re food he is a man after my own kidney - figuratively, I hasten to explain.

    Wishing you, Ron, as well as everyone there the best of jollies in coming days - and a splendid 2014 to crown all. From me and ALL the little be-whiskered ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I wish you to a wonderful 2014. And if you happen to with the lottery please do come to the Bloggerpalooza in March. We have plenty of room and I know the other bloggers would love to meet you.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I'm intrigued to hear Pat is not only a vegan but won't eat veggies in the proximity of meat products. Why is this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I exaggerated. Of course he will eat veggies that share the same space with non vegetable products. A feeble attempt at humor on my part. Very feeble. I don't always hit a home run.
      Ron

      Delete