Friday, December 13, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies

My latest batch of chocolate chip cookies (all gone now) 


I love chocolate chip cookies.




Who doesn't love chocolate chip cookies?



I don't eat chocolate chip cookies but once a year.




Christmas season is the only time I eat chocolate chip cookies…….and then I go overboard.




I have went overboard in eating chocolate chip cookies.

I will make more chocolate chip cookies this weekend.

The first time a chocolate chip cookie went down my pie hole was sometime back in the early Fifties.  My Mother was making homemade cookies in our second floor, two bedroom apartment on Washington Avenue in Downingtown, Pennsylvania.  


My beautiful Mom back in the Fifties

My memory is still fresh of standing around the kitchen table while she beat the two sticks of butter in with 3/4 cup each of white sugar and brown sugar.  Then one teaspoon of vanilla.  Then two large eggs.  

Set to the side was a mixture of 2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour (the kind without the bugs in it), 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon baking soda (and now powder - BIG DIFFERENCE - I know, I've tried it).  

After the butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs are beaten well (preferably by hand, who uses a mixer?), then blend in the flour mixture, a cup at a time.

After all that is blended, add two cups semi-sweet Nestle's chocolate morsels (only Nestle's works here folks for the Jen-U-Wind Toll House flavor) and one cup BLACK WALNUTS.  None of those regular walnuts that are ubiquitous in the stores during the holiday season.  Oh sure, black walnuts are hard to find and more expensive (even more expensive that regular walnuts? You bet!)  Black walnuts lend a smoky, woodsy flavor that brings back so many fond memories of those days in the early Fifties when I, as a ten year old boy, would stand by my Mother in the kitchen and watch her perform this miracle of making chocolate chip cookies.  


Mom in the kitchen - 1979

We loved to eat (and by "we" I mean me and my two voracious younger brothers John and Isaac) those still warm cookies, with the chocolate chips almost melted, right out of the oven.  Oh God were they ever good.  Those cookies that our Mother made rarely lasted more than two days in the Tipton household on Washington Avenue.  

Some years later, when I was in the Army my Mother used to make those same cookies and send them to me when I was stationed at Ft. Devens, Massachusetts.  They weren't fresh out of the oven but when I opened up that round tin of my Mom's baked chocolate chip cookies I was taken right back home with all that love and warmth and acceptance.  


Mom during her days working at Pepperridge Farms - not cookie division but frozen layer cake- 1960

These days when I make chocolate chip cookies I am again taken back to my Mom's kitchen on the second floor of that apartment building on Washington Avenue.  Another time, another place but the same love.  


Me and my Mom at Wegman's 2009 - long after her cookie making days were over - she died the next year


I am so fortunate that I can recreate these wonderful times in my past by an act as simple and uncomplicated as baking a batch of chocolate chip cookies.  I feel sorry for those folks who turn to drugs or other means for an artificial "high." Sometimes I just stop and think how lucky I am to have the life I have.  

You make your own way in this life folks.  I've made mine and I love it!

Have a great day!








8 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Yes, Lois made several batches of chocolate chip cookies a couple days ago. I just checked and they are all gone.Drat! I should have hid them somewhere and kept them for myself.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      I can only make chocolate chip cookies once a year. If I made them more often I'm afraid I would lose my boyish figure.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron

    Love it when you share these memories with us. It brings to me a sense of peace with a sprinkle of happiness. The lit log cabin at the end sort of encapsulates that feeling. Enjoy those cookies Ron and the good memories of your Mom.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      I love pictures like the one of the lit cabin. So cozy and comforting. I would like to live like that. When I eat these chocolate chip cookies my Mom is with me again. Another cozy and comforting feeling. All good.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. todd also makes chocochip cookies for the holiday. no black walnuts in his recipe though; we are not walnut eaters.

    your cookies look dee-lish; yeah, you better watch your boyish figure! ;-b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      To me chocolate chip cookies aren't the same unless they include black walnuts. I think everyone has their favorite that invokes fond memories. Ah, my boyish figure…..I made cream of cauliflower soup this afternoon with half and half and tonight I'm baking quiche lorraine. There goes my boyish figure.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. My mother was known for making chocolate chip cookies too. Nowadays - especially this Christmas - no cookies or sweets allowed for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love CCCs, too. It's been too long. I should make some! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete