Sunday, December 08, 2013

Snow!

That's snow on the ground folks at BJ's this morning! EMERGENCY!

If it's Sunday morning, it's BJ's time!  This morning Bill and I made our usual regular Sunday morning trek to Millsboro and the BJ's Wholesale Club store.  Time to stock up again!

I was out of Panera loaded potato soup, hummus and besides, I had my December coupon book. SPEND RON SPEND!



We made our usual rounds in the giant warehouse, all the Usual Suspects were there.  Not quite as extreme as Walmartians but close…..very close.

Upon leaving we were rudely greeted with SNOW!  Yes Virginia, SNOW!  WTF?  

Earlier in the week I was talking to someone and they said "Oh, I miss the snow."  Say what?  "Whatchoo talkin about Willis?  Folks, I do not miss the snow.  I lived in Pennsylvania long enough to get all my appreciation of snow that stayed on the ground from the first snowfall in November until the last frozen remnants melted in early April.  Oh no folks, I definitely do not miss the snow.  


Get the snow shovels out! Stock up on milk and bread!

I drove our Subaru Forester to BJ's but Bill insisted on driving back home.  He said "You don't know how to drive in the snow."  Oh how long have I heard this lament?  I don't even argue after forty-nine years of that tired old evaluation of my driving abilities.  I do have to admit that Bill has more driving experience than I do, after all he's been driving for about one hundred and ten years but come on, I can drive in the snow.  But we have enough other things to fight about, I just give in on the "you don't know how to drive in the snow" mantra.


Driving through downtown Millsboro this morning

We did get home in one piece.  No accidents, thank God.  All the straight roads down here in Delaware, you would be surprised the number of accidents.  That's because we have more than our fair share of crazy assed drivers but I digress.  

After we got home, and unloaded our Contribution to the Local Economy, I had lunch then my usual afternoon nap.  

After Nap Time, it was time to finish off my Christmas cards.  Bill bitched about that too.  "Who are all these people we're sending cards too?"  This year our Christmas card features our wedding day.  He was concerned that I would send them to the WRONG people.  And who might that be?  We got married Bill.  That's a fact.  Time to bust out of that closet door.  He said he didn't want to upset anyone.  Hey folks, if you know me and you know Bill….we got married this year on our 49th anniversary.  That's news that I'm sharing and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas at the same time and a wonderful and glorious new year.  Poor Bill, he's still of the old school that he doesn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers.  I say it's time to ruffle feathers.  Don't you agree?


Bill selectively signing only SOME of the Christmas cards

18 comments:

  1. A large part of Christmas joy is being able to ruffle as many feathers as you want to! Keep sending those Xmas cards.

    I'm wondering - - what the hell happened to global warming?? Everyone I know, in every part of the country, is freezing their asses off. Of course, it is December - - but this time around it's unusually cold. Yesterday the daytime high temperature here in West Texas was 15 degrees. Last night it got down to 5 degrees. I can't stop shivering. And I still have the flu. The older I get the more I hate cold weather. I'm ready to head for the tropics.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      We haven't had the really cold temperatures here…..yet. Maybe as low as 28 degrees. That's cold enough for me. It's interesting but by moving to Delaware, which is only one temperate zone away from Pennsylvania, we're experiencing much milder winters. Same with the summers. Doesn't seem as severe as our stay in Pennsylvania. Of course Pennsylvania is a red state too, maybe that had something to do with it. Delaware is much more relaxed.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I miss snow: it was a good excuse to stay home/read books/have hot tea without feeling nagged to go out and do things.
    I find it a bit incredulous Bill would say such a thing after decades??
    Also, the shame of not wanting to share you marriage? Sometimes he amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Bill is of that generation that still carries shame for their sexual orientation. A 93 year old friend of ours, who lives alone, always puts the alarm out when his nephew visits "Don't visit me because I don't want my nephew to see GUYS visiting me…..he might figure out I'm gay!" Hey, "Guess what?" we tell him. "You're nephew probably already knows!" But you know Dr. Spo, these gay men of a earlier generation just cannot discard the cloak of shame about their sexual orientation. I'm surprised that Bill even consented to a public marriage. He did ask me if there was a way we could get married without anyone knowing. I told him "No, that's not possible." Poor Bill and his ilk, they will go to their grave still carrying the guilt and shame of being gay. It hasn't been easy Dr. Spo.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Poor guys: I would hope always with courage and insight one can change.

      Delete
    3. Dr. Spo,

      He's changed a little bit but I don't think he will every fully change. I find for many men of his generation, the sense of guilt and shame is too firmly ingrained in their psyche.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. I think it's a LOVELY card. those that get offended can go to hell and you can cross them off your list for next year. I HOPE bill signed MINE!

    we got 3-4" up here, all snow. we did nothing yesterday but stay inside, had a fire going, and I put up our 4' tree. dinner was quiche and crab bisque soup (I made the quiche, we bought the soup)..

    back to the grind tomorrow! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      So you only got "3 and 4" inches of snow? My friend Larry called and said he had "8 inches" (of snow). He lives in Claymont, DE. My friend Tom called and said he had "6 inches" (of snow). We got nuttin down here! And that's just the way I like it!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Snow! Aack! A little bit can be nice, as long as it doesn't stick around. We have not had any so far. But the season is young...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,

      I don't mind a spindling of snow as long as it's gone by the time I get back out on the road. When we lived in Pennsylvania, that snow would stay around for a solid four months. Sort of like a perma freeze.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. A weekly trip to a warehouse store??? Really? Are you feeding the troops? Do you run a soup kitchen? Food pantry? Do you have a spare room for all the bargains? I don't even know where the store is out in redneck county, but such a long drive on a sunday morning. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wayne deCajun,

      We do go through a lot of supplies here at Casa Tipton-Kelly. We believe in stocking up for the Big One. Remember that snow storm of a few years back? How could you forget. :) BJ's is in redneck county, straight (pun intended) down Rt. 113, past Millsboro. Follow the pickup trucks.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron,

    Oh, I don't mind the snow anymore. I like the beauty of it. I like walking in a snow fall. Now that I don't have to be anywhere, I can enjoy it again, just like when I was a kid and snow closed the schools. I'm not crazy about shoveling it, but you can't have everything.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      Well, you can keep your "8 inches." I'm taking my neighbor out to lunch today and I would rather travel in this rain than 8 inches (of snow.).

      Ron

      Delete
  7. We got thisclose to snow down here, but just missed it. Having lived in California and Hawaii and Miami where it didn't snow, I kinda like the idea of South Carolina snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Lot's of rain down here in LSD. My friend Larry told me he had 8 inches (of snow) and my friend Tom told me he had 6 inches (of snow). We have no inches which is just fine with me.

      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron - I can't believe I'm getting behind the Retired in Delaware blog. As i'm late for something right now - I just want to add that winter has come to Toronto. Not much in the way of snow - but it's very chilly. Down to -7 last nite. I think that must be around 16 degrees F or so. Saw a bit of the football game in Pittsburgh with all the snow on the field. That looked incredible. Hope it doesn't get too cold down your way.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      NO EXCUSES! You're behind. Don't feel bad. You should see how far behind I am in my e-mails. It happens. Don't worry, my blog posts aren't going anywhere. They'll still be here for you to read and comment. All comments appreciated!

      Ron

      Delete