|A single rose in my backyard this morning|
A few days ago when I told a friend that I had bought a new SLR camera (very expensive) he asked me "Why did you buy another camera?" Actually, it was a good question. So here is the answer:
Many years ago I had a SLR (Single Lens Reflex) camera. I took thousands of pictures with that camera. Really nice pictures, the kind that had the blurred background and the wonderful portrait shot. Then one day I dropped my camera on a cinder block and broke it. I must have had that camera for twenty-five years at least.
I tried to get it fixed but it was never the same. I gave it to my brother. I don't know what happened to it but I felt like I gave up an old pet for adoption. I felt like I betrayed my "friend" the camera.
I got a new camera. This time the stores had all these inexpensive "point and shoot" cameras which claimed to be "just as good" as the more expensive SLR cameras. I got one of those cameras. It was all right but it wasn't the same as my "friend", my old SLR camera.
Over the year I bought a couple more those "just as good" cameras, hoping for a different outcome. While the pictures were good, I couldn't get those clear foreground and blurred background pictures anymore. That was good enough for me. How many portrait pictures would I take anyway? How many closeup pictures would I take? I learned to do without. I still took a lot of good picture but group shots were everything was in focus.
Then about a year or two ago I saw a blogger friend of mine (Mark H. for those of you in the know) who was taking some spectacular pictures of his family. Wow. I had to have one of those cameras. The only thing was the camera cost more than a computer! So I did without ...again. I made do with my digital camera. That was fine for 95% of my pictures. The other 5% I did without.
Every season I would see these great potential pictures that I had to pass up. Then I got to thinking (always a dangerous and expensive proposition with me - just ask Bill), "Why not?' I can't take IT with me so why not breakdown and get that EXPENSIVE SLR camera?" So I did.
This camera has everything on it from sports continuous motion shots to high definition video that you can probably send directly to the movie theaters. I probably won't be using those features. What I'll be using is just what you see on this blog posting. A closeup picture of a dew covered rose that I took a few minutes ago on this rainy day. You might see a closeup picture of a butterfly, or a praying mantis or a caterpillar.
Soon I will start taking closeup portrait pictures of my friends, neighbors, relatives and strangers.
Bar the door Katy, Ron is back in business!