Saturday, September 10, 2011

Cemeteries and Family Reunions

Me at the Betts Cemetery this morning


Yep, that me hanging around the cemeteries again.  It's my new passion, what can I tell you?  I get a lot of pleasure out of doing something meaningful like this rather than wasting my time on dining out at restaurants which always disappoint me and/or spending my money buying something I don't need.

I just got my Discovercard statement and I noticed with pleasure that my statement is way down.  That's good!  I'll have to keep up my renewed interest in visiting cemeteries and gathering information and photos for my Find a Grave account.  It doesn't cost me anything but the gas and my time, of which I have plenty.

I'll have to stop my cemetery visits though once the cold weather kicks in.  I tried fulfilling several
Find a Grave photo requests last year during the dead of winter and it just doesn't work.  I about froze my you-know-what off looking for those graves.  I don't go out in the cold now.  Nor do I go out in the heat and humidity of this summer either.  The best times to visit cemeteries is the fall and the spring.  Those  the  times are the best as all of my fellow Find a Grave contributors will confirm.

The next big item on my agenda is my family reunion which I am running.  That occurs Sunday, October 9th.  Our family used to hold family reunions in the Fifties and the Sixties then it fell off until one of my cousins started it up again in the late Nineties.  I took over in 1994 and had one then, one in 1997 and then it fell off again.  Before I realized it fourteen years had passed by so I organized another one last year.  I'll do one each year as long as I'm able.

These days nothing gives me more pleasure and peace of mind than these two activities.  I just wish I had discovered it sooner.  All those year hanging out at gay bars, wasted.  Ah, the folly of youth.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, our age determines the dynamics and priorities of life. Maturity brings (or should bring) wisdom. Your concerns of late are very well understood - and appear eminently sensible to this ageing individual, Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. anne marie in philly5:41 AM

    nice "rear view" pix! what a way to wake up on a sunday morning! woo hoo!

    srsly, 2 cemeteries I saw on my travels to/from cooperstown NY were the "milton cemetery" and the "hardwick seminary cemetery"; both small towns outside cooperstown. all others were attached to their respective churches.

    do what makes ya happy, as you seem to be. knitting is my groove.

    to bill: a big fat HI from big fat ME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray,

    I'm still very immature for my age. Always have been and probably always will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne Marie,

    Behave yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We kids were appalled and embarrassed when we heard our parents used to go on dates to cemetaries. They would look up relatives and do history it turns out.
    Now I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Spo,

    I've always liked exploring cemeteries. Bill does too. Now we have reason to. We gather this information and put it on the Internet for future generations. I feel like I'm doing something worthwhile. Ironically my biggest competition for gathering the cemetery information here in Sussex County is another gay couple! I'm about to write a blog about that competition. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete