Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Good Day


Tom and Ron 


Late this afternoon I got a call from an old friend and former co-worker from my Previous Life, Tom J.  He was in Ocean City, Maryland and wanted to know if he could drop in for a short visit on his way home to Pennsylvania.  As some of you may or may not know, Bill and I don't do visits for guests but occasionally we make exceptions.  Tom is one of those exceptions.  We worked together over twenty-five years together at Fidelity Bank in Philadelphia.  Wow,  twenty-five years ago (1986), how fast time goes by.

I was out trimming the holly trees in the back yard when Tom drove up our driveway.  Bill had to come out and get me.  I swear, every time I'm out back working trimming or doing some other major yard work, Bill has to come out and stop me.  I've been putting off trimming those holly trees and today I was in the mood.  Oh well, they got half of the trees trimmed, the rest will be waiting for me tomorrow.

After a short visit with Bill, Tom and I left for Milton to have an early dinner at the Bay Leaf restaurant.  I like the Bay Leaf; good food at reasonable prices.  None of that Rehoboth overpriced tourist trap fare at this restaurant.  It is good to live outside Rehoboth Beach and Lewes.  I've already saved a ton of money this month since I decided not to eat at Rehoboth restaurants.

While we were eating at the restaurant, catching up on the latest from our different worlds (Tom is straight), we were interrupted by a very nice looking blonde gentleman who approached our table.  The gentleman was my cousin Bruce R., who of course I called "Randy", his brother's name.  What a small world.  Bruce is the son of my Mother's oldest sister.  I didn't even knew he knew I lived down here in southern Delaware.  He was in Milton with his wife visiting a friend of hers who has a house on Route 5, which isn't far from Casa Tipton-Kelly.

All in all, I had a very pleasant 10th anniversary 9/11 day.  I am so thankful that the terrorists didn't succeed in marking this anniversary with another murderous terrorist attack.

This is what I am really thankful for today; the freedom to have a spontaneous visit with an old friend and a reunion with my cousin.  That's what life is about in this country, the freedom to enjoy friends and family.  Free from fear and terror. Just going about our everyday lives.  That's what the terrorists hate.  They hate our freedom.

Yes, today was a good day.

1 comment: