Monday, May 23, 2011

Home Sweet Home

Lamb's Ear surrounded by sage, holly and wild rose

Today is my day off.  Mondays and Tuesdays are my 'weekends off".  The only thing I have planned for today is a dump load delivery of top soil for our three river birch trees that we had delivered last Monday.  We didn't have the dirt delivered last week because of the rain.  So what is it doing today?  Yep, it's raining.  Maybe they will deliver the dirt anyway.  Bill and I would like to build that mound of dirt up around the newly planted birch trees before the hot weather descends upon our coastal home here on the eastern shore of Delaware.  Now I see the sun streaming through my window.  It's going to be one of those days.....rain, clouds, then sun then back to rain.  One thing about this kind of weather, it makes for a lush, green landscape.

The plants in the picture are two of my favorite plants....sage and Lamb's ear.  I brought the Lamb's Ear with me from our home in Pennsylvania.  I like to keep the connection going between the two homes.  By the way, yesterday an open house was conducted at our former home in Pennsylvania.  A few months ago our former home was sold at a sheriff's auction.  The former owner couldn't keep up the monthly payments so he walked away from the once beautiful property.  Our former home, which we used to call "Whispering Pines" is now a Grey Gardens.  So sad.  If I wasn't working yesterday, Bill and I would have attended to the open house.  I look at the pictures posted on the Internet of the interior of our former home and am reminded of all the history that took place in those rooms during our twenty-five years of residence.  Now it is empty, ready to be rescued and brought back to life.  If I had the money I would buy it back.

Someday in the future, after we're long gone here this home will be for sale.  The new owners will have no idea of all the history that is being made right now at this home.  I figure we have at least ten good years here.  At least I do.  Bill is 82 so he would be 92 years old.  I would never have believed that I would be living with an 82 year old man back in my arrogant youth but here I am.  Ten years from now I'll be 79 years old.  Wow.  Now that is Serious Old.  But I plan to be around, still pumping out my blogs and experimenting with new plants in my back yard.  Now that we've passed yet another End of the World deadline, I can plan.  By the way, any word from Harold Camping?  He's being very quiet.  Maybe God's talking to him, explaining why he postponed His plans for the end of the world.

6 comments:

  1. You're very sentimental, that's for sure!
    When I renovated my bedroom(in my parent's home) in the mid-80's, I put my diary behind the drywall and sealed it up for future owners to find and read. Well, my parents still live there and last year, they ripped out all of the walls. I was there to pound a whole in the wall and retrieve my journal. It was nice to read what I wrote 25 years earlier. Your Friend, m.
    p.s. email me the link to your old house. I want to see the inside this time. m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "in my arrogant youth" A redundant expression if I ever heard one. Thankfully most of us lose the arrogance as we mature. And those who don't lose it become Republicans.

    Your lamb's ear looks great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark,

    Oh I'm sentimental alright. Isn't it fun to read your journal after 25 years? I used to keep a journal also over 30 years ago. I kept it for about seven years. I stopped in 1980 when a trick discovered it and ripped out pages in it that referred to him. I began keeping my journal again five years ago. I intend to keep it as long as I live. I wish I hadn't stopped in 1980. I had a lot of living from 1980 to 2006. I'll send you a link to the sale of our old house. We sold it for $500,000 in 2006. They have it up for sale for $419,000. I think it can be had for $350,000. It is a steal. Someone will be getting a real bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cubby, was I ever arrogant in my youth. The first man I had sex with was 29 and I was only 21. I thought he was OLD. But he turned me on. I actually thought I was doing HIM a favor. HA! Now from this perspective I see how silly I was. It is as Noel Coward once said "Youth is wasted on the young." And you are right about the arrogance, this who don't lose their youthful arrogance become Republicans. Most of my youthful friends are Republicans! Thanks for the compliment on my Lamb's Ear. I've often been told that my Lamb's Ear looks good. The plant that is. The "other" too. )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron,

    I gave Camping an excuse he can use in my Blog posting on Sunday. Amazingly enough I have heard what I tongue-in-cheek suggested actually being used by some of his followers according to the hourly news reports.

    He himself has gone silent. He was not on at 3:00 PM today, his regular time to broadcast his Bible Study. They just played music instead. He always has a live program at 7:00 PM every day called Open Forum. Something tells me he won't show up for that tonight either.

    For now we can only anticipate December 2012 for the grand finale.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ron , thank you for calling into my blog .. wonder how you found me. I would love to see your friends blog and all about the trip in Italy .. can you send me the link please.

    ReplyDelete