Monday, May 02, 2011

Bill Returns Home

Bill - Toccoa Georgia - 1933


Bill returned home today, perhaps for the last time in his life.  Bill was born in Toccoa, Georgia in 1928.  I recently received this picture of Bill as a little boy with his mother, two older sisters and half brother from the half brother's son who happened upon my blog posting of Bill's visit to Toccoa last year.  I had never seen a picture of Bill as a little kid before.  Bill had never seen this picture of himself before either.

Bill's father died when Bill was only one year old in an automobile accident.  Bill was raised by his mother and a step-father.  He did not have a good relationship with his step-father.  That is a long and sad story that I won't go into here but will only say that Bill left Toccoa as soon as he graduated from high school and joined the Air Force.  In that respect Bill's history and mine are very similar.  I didn't get along with my father either and I left home and joined the Army as soon as I graduated from high school.

Today I accompanied Bill while he visited some of his old haunts in Toccoa and surrounding areas.  We visited his grandfather's home where he once spent several weeks after his mother and step-father had a ferociou argument and farmed the kids out.  We also visited the Stephens County Courthouse where I stepped into my first ever courtroom. What a fabulous experience that was!  The court room was almost exactly like the one featured in the movie "The Scopes Monkey Trial" or whatever the name of that movie was.  I even sat in the judge's chair and banged the gavel!  What a thrill that was.  I have video of that which I will post when I get home.  I'm at my brother and sister-in-law's home in Greenville now.  I can't download any of my pictures or videos to her computer.  That will have to wait until I get home. 

It was quite hot in Toccoa this afternoon.  Just like last year when we visited.  We're going back tomorrow to visit Curahee Mountain, Toccoa Falls, and the cemetery where I'm going to meet with one of my fellow Find a Grave volunteers who graciously took picture's of some headstones for Bill a couple of years ago.

When our visit to Toccoa ends tomorrow afternoon we're off to Townsend, Tennessee and Cades Cove in the Smoky Mountians National Park, one my absolute favorite places in the world. 

It's late now, I have my journal entries to make yet then it's time to go to bed.  No naps on this vacation.  My right eyelind is dropping.  A sure sign that Ron Is Tired.  I'm feeling good though because that evil incarnation that was Osama bin Laden is now gone from the face of this earth and now whopping it up with his forty virgins. 

7 comments:

  1. thank you for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,

    You are motoring right along.

    I was surprised you have never been in a courtroom before. I think maybe the movie you are thinking of was "Inherit the Wind" with Spencer Tracy and Frederick March.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lar,
    Actually I think I was in a courtroom before. It was when I was called for jury duty. I wasn't chosen but I was one of the herd of potential jurors the lawyers viewed for possibile duty. My total time was perhaps five minutes. You're right, the movie was "Inherit the Wind." This courtroom in the Stephens County Courthouse yesterday was exactly like that courtroom. It was a thrill for me to be in there. I really enjoyed it. Almost as much as going to Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:19 PM

    Hi Ron,

    I'm glad you & Bill are enjoying your vacation. I'm jealous though because you are heading to one of my favorite places, Cades Cove. My husband & I were there about 25 years ago & the cove & mountains took my breath away. We stayed in Gatlinburg, TN which was a nice shopping town. There was a painting of a log cabin in the mountains there that I regret to this day that I didn't buy it & bring a piece of the cove home.

    Stay safe & have a great time!

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fran,
    I was here once before fourteen years ago. I've always wanted to come back but the years just flew by. I wanted to make sure Bill saw this beautiful place before he died. Good weather is forecast for tomorrow. We'll stay a couple of days. I'll look for that picture you passed up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a very successful trip for Bill. I'm glad we made the trip Tiger. It is all about closure. Today we had a wonderful tour of Cades Cove. Tomorrow we're off to Johnson City, Temnessee to visit two of my cousins.

    ReplyDelete