Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Last Day of Earth



As regular readers of my blog know, I'm not a religious person.  Or more accurately, I'm not a practicing religious person.  I don't believe in what I can "man made religion."  However, I do consider myself a spiritual person.  There are times in my life that I have secretly prayed to 'find the way."  Again, I am not a Bible Thumper and I don't subscribe to the mean spirited version of Christianity (and other religions) that are practiced today.  The religion of fear.  The God that says "Do as I say or I will damn you to the eternal fires of hell."

I don't believe there is a big, muscled, white man with a long white beard and a stern look on his face. wearing a white toga sitting on a golden throne in the sky playing games with those of he supposedly created below on this earth.  Such a game like having me born gay and then threatening me with eternal damnation unless I change my natural born ways.  No, that is not the God or Way that I believe.

This is what I believe.  I believe that you do your best during your stay on this earthy plane, be it only a few years or many years as I have done so far.  While risking another gentle rebuke from one of my favorite bloggers when I refer to my old age I am saying that at this time of my life (69 years and counting) I think a lot about my past years and what few years I have left on this earth (less than I have lived, that's for sure).

I have done some things I haven't been proud of and I have done more things that qualify me as a genuine Christian in my eyes if not the eyes of the organized "man-made" Christian church.  I feel that if there is such a place called heaven, that I will enter through those hallowed gates.  I will again see my friends, family and pets who have predeceased me.  These days I think a lot about this subject.

Today, after a long, hard day of work I opened my e-mails to find this e-mail from a long-time friend of mine.  While I don't agree with the degree to which my long-time friend practices his faith (he believes you have to accept Jesus Christ to enter into Heaven - I do not agree - I think that is the old "man made" interpretation), I do respect his views.

On this day, which an old idiot has claimed to be the Last Day On Earth (and he is an idiot, that is the only way to describe that nut case), I think it was very appropriate that I spent the best part of the day seeing a family (Jewish) prepare for a wedding at the hotel where I work.  All in this family were so happy.  Their joy was overflowing, so much that all my usual cynicism of such a corny family event was washed away.  I left the hotel this afternoon, an hour and a half before the actual ceremony thinking of this young, beautiful couple and the happy life that they have before them.  I thought of all their family and friends who  made the special trip to the hotel where I work to join their ceremony and celebration.

As I write this the couple is now married.  Their family is rejoicing.  All will celebrate through the night and tomorrow, which will be the first day of their new life.

While they're beginning their life, I can see mine coming to and end.  And I have no regrets. Thus it was so appropriate that when I opened my e-mail a few minutes ago and watched this video that reaffirmed the way I feel at this time of my life.

Thank you Bill.

5 comments:

  1. Why did many people believe in what Harold Camping said? I didn't know until someone on Facebook joked about the Rapture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs back to you Tiger.

    Tai, Why do so many people believe a fool like Harold
    Camping? I can't answer that but I do know that there are a lot of dumb ass people who are willing to believe anything a fool like Camping puts out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really nice blog, Ron. You really write with your heart on your sleeve, with clear, direct honesty.

    And that video is sweet, even for a believer-no-longer like me. The emotion of gentleness it portrays is so absent from today's religious zealots of all varieties, very different from the irascible God of the Old Testament and the vengeance-fuelled Allah of the Koran, who could do with several courses in anger-management.

    When I go to your blog I know it guarantees worthwhile moments. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray,

    Thank you very much for your generous compliments. I write exactly how I feel. What has surprised me is that some of my friends (and one former friend now) don't like that. I will continue to write that way I have been writing. I'm glad there are people like you who appreciate my honesty.

    ReplyDelete