Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Good Day

Carrie the Plant Lady - one of my co-workers

Yes folks, you read that right.  Today was a good day....at work.  I wasn't happy about going to work today because of what I had heard from one of my co-workers a few days ago.  To be very frank, I felt I was getting to the point where I had had enough.  I work very hard and am damn good at what I do but when I feel I am not recognized, or appreciated or even worse; wrongly accused, then it is time for me to seriously reevaluate the worth of keeping my job.

I've been around long enough to know just about all the scenarios at work.  I had feared the present scenario was going down a familiar path that I didn't want to trod.  For the past two days since I've been off I haven't been in a good mood because I knew I was going to address this perceived problem head on.

Why this particular situation was bothering me so much is that I don't want to quit my job.  I like my job, I like the kind of work I do, I like my co-workers, and hey...I even like my boss and the owner.  Thus when I heard a certain statement referring to me (which I won't go into here because of privacy - I don't know who is reading this blog), it just took all the wind out of my sails.  I work long and hard and I do my damnedest to do a good job and I do a good job.  There was a very good reason why  I won the President's Award in 2000 from the Hilton Hotel Corp as Best Guest Service Representative.  Yes, I won a trip to Disney World ($500.00 cash, four days in Disney World all expenses paid and a plaque).  I am good at what I do.  Something I don't have to be modest about.

Me and my Aunt Mabel with Mickey at Disney World April 2001


But because of a shortsighted comment I heard, I began to question whether or not it was worth it to continue going into work.  I now think I have blown this situation out of proportion.  In fact, after today at work I am certain of it.  So it looks like I will continue to be a hotel front desk clerk at least for the foreseeable future.  And that make me very happy.

13 comments:

  1. Ron,

    I am glad things smoothed out. Always like to see you in a good mood.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Larry. I too prefer myself in a good mood. I was pretty low there for a while because I thought I would have to quit my job. I'm glad I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you decided not to quit, and being in a bad mood is not good for your health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nadege,
    I too am glad I decided not to quit. And you're right, being in a bad mood is definitely unhealthy. I am in a good mood now, so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awaiting your blog Nadege. I know when you're ready, it will be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am glad you had a better day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a nice end to an unpleasant situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes it is Sean, yes it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so happy there with Mickey and Auntie. Glad everything was resolved. I know how you were feeling. I have the same questions about my job and being unappreciated at least once a month. But in the end I have been able to work things out and continue to enjoy my job. In fact, at our last staff meeting I received two letters from customers commending my work. The boss had a hard time ignoring me after that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had a great day... and I love all the flowers you've been posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad that things resolved themselves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very relieved Tiger. I really didn't want to leave my job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you David. I have a lot more flower pictures (and herbs) to post. I know there are folks like you who appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete