Monday, May 23, 2011

Visit With Cousin Daisy





This is a short video of my visit with my cousin Daisy Lewis Buckles, who lives in Johnson City, Tennessee.  I didn't realize that Bill was taking this video (with his iPhone) while I was talking to my cousin Daisy.  

Daisy has an interesting history.  Her father, Isaac Lewis, was my great-grandfather.  He was born in 1856.  His first wife was my great-grandmother.  After she died, Isaac married Daisy's mother, who was forty years younger than he was.  

I met Daisy for the first time in 1994 when I first began researching my paternal family history.  Up until that time I knew nothing about my father's grandparents.  Daisy's brother, Aster Lewis (now deceased) showed me around and introduced me to cousins that I never knew about.  

My father was born nearby Johnson City, Tennessee, right over the border in the hills of North Carolina.  Yes, he was a hillbilly.  My grandparents moved him (when he was ten years old) and his eight brothers (two more brothers were born after they moved North) to Pennsylvania to live and work on my grandmother's brother-in-law's farm.  They were all starving during the Depression, that's why the family moved north, to survive.  If they hadn't moved North, I would be here today and just imagine how the would be the less for that fact.  Kidding!  

Daisy is 86 now and in not in good health. I was glad that I had an opportunity to visit her.  I'm glad Bill took this video so I can always remember the kind and gracious southern lady that is my Cousin Daisy.

5 comments:

  1. In Vietnam, you must call her grand-aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming Lady. Bless her heart. When I lived in Atlanta I met and knew a few Southern Ladies like this and they were just wonderful to sit, visit and chat with. So different from my Northern, ethnic upbringing. Unfortunately I think they are a dying breed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was nice, even though I couldn't hear what you were saying and the volume was turned up to max.

    Btw in 3 weeks time it'll be the 6th anniversary of the death of my own mother at the age of 89. Although I loved her dearly throughout my life I was frequently exasperated by her habits and criticisms. But in her final years as she got increasingly unable to manage by herself I was surprised at how my patience and tolerance of her actually grew, rather than my getting more irritated as might have been expected. I only hope that when my turn comes (which can't be that far ahead now) those caring for me show the same understanding for my dependence on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raybeard,

    I had a smilier experience with my Mother during her last two years of life. At times I would become exasperated with her and her extreme right wing views and feelings of paranoia but I now realize that was the early signs of her dementia. My brothers and I allowed her to express her feelings most of the time. Sometimes we had to tell her but we always tried to do it with respect. I hope I don't end my days that way but, like you, if I do I hope that those who care for me (which I can't imagine anyone doing now) with have the same understanding for my dependence on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stan,

    You are so right. This is only the third time I've visited with my great aunt Daisy. Both Bill and I love her gently southern accent. She is such a lady. I have to agree with you though, I think ladies like her are a dying breed.

    ReplyDelete