Sunday, May 29, 2011

Four Questions Meme

Me on vacation at the Carriage House restaurant in Townsend, Tennessee a few weeks ago




Still busy with the job folks.  But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I just hope that's not a train coming towards me.  In the meantime, to let my faithful blog readers know I'm still alive, here are my "Four Questions Meme."  
Lots of thought went into this folks. Another week and I may be able to get back to my regular blog posting routine. 




Things I need to spend more time on in my life
  1. Researching my family genealogy
  2. Catching up on my e-mails
  3. Getting rid of material things I don't need at this time of my life
  4. Gardening
Things I need to spend less time on in my life

  1. Working full-time 
  2. Trying to please everybody
  3. Arguing religion with my conservative friends
  4. Arguing politics with my conservative friends
Things I wish I could spend more time on in my life

  1. Cleaning house
  2. Organizing my photos and videos
  3. Downsizing
  4. Staying in touch with faraway friends and relatives
Things I love about myself

  1. My sense of humor
  2. My love of animals
  3. My work ethic
  4. My honesty
Things I hate about myself

  1. My reluctance to say no
  2. My (sometimes) low-self confidence 
  3. My fear of driving at night and on crowded highways
  4. My naivet√© 
Things I used to hate but love now

  1. Liberals (Progressives or Democrats)
  2. Meeting new people
  3. Yardwork
  4. Salads
Things I used to love but hate now

  1. Barbra Striesand
  2. Conservatives (Republicans)
  3. Cooking a big meal for company
  4. Working and living in a big city
Things towards which I look forward

  1. Dining at restaurants with friends
  2. Walking the boardwalk in the summer
  3. Working in my backyard and watching my garden grow
  4. Writing my blog postings
Things I dread

  1. Tax preparation
  2. Colonoscopy preparation
  3. Driving at night 
  4. Calling Help lines
Things I used to believe in but no longer do

  1. Religion 
  2. Authority figures
  3. That evil does not succeed
  4. That good is recognized and rewarded
Things I love to do despite being bad at it

  1. Dancing
  2. Paint pictures
  3. Teach (I have very little patience)
  4. Cook
Things I hate to do but I do anyway (and quite well)

  1. Run a household
  2. Call a Help line
  3. Clean out drawers and closets
  4. Work full-time at my job
Things I did of which I am ashamed

  1. Did not return a call of a longtime friend shortly before she committed suicide
  2. Stood up a date to her Senior Prom (I couldn't get my dad's car)
  3. Stood up a former boss for lunch (what was I thinking?)
  4. Lost my temper with a former boss (he subsequently had me fired)
Things I did for which I am proud

  1. Stood up and challenged a homophobe at my local congressman's town hall meeting - I was physically attacked for identifying myself as being gay
  2. Voluntarily joined the Army for three years right out of high school.  I was scared to death but I knew I had to fulfill this obligation
  3. Gave jobs and provided leads for jobs for several of my unemployed friends
  4. Coming out when I was 21 years old (in 1963 when it was not fashionable and definitely dangerous to one's health and job prospects)
Things I didn't do which I regret

  1. Have children 
  2. Learn how to play the piano
  3. Learn a foreign language
  4. Floss my teeth regularly when I was younger
Things I want to do before I die

  1. Get a cat (or cats)
  2. Get a Pomeranian dog (or dogs)
  3. Write my autobiography
  4. Sell all my valuable collectibles on eBay


7 comments:

  1. What? Hate Babs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, very intriguing lists. Direct, informative and much easier to read and assimilate than if the points had been surrounded by expansive texts of explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rick, Babs and I are the same age. I started to follow her when she was first starting out in 1960. I bought every album she made. Then, one year (I can't remember which one exactly), I just couldn't take her over produced, every note perfect, singing. Her singing began to annoy me to no end. Her insistence of perfecting every word and even tone just killed my admiration for her talent. I think it was a documentary I saw on her in a recording studio that did it for me. After that I couldn't stand to hear her sing anymore. I think singing should be at least somewhat spontaneous and from the heart. Bab's singings is way to overproduced. I gave all her records away, every one. Dinah Washington remains my all time favorite singer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ray. I try to be as concise as possible yet fully explanatory. You noticed which I appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My reluctance to say no -

    I tell my patients with this matter to pratice saying 'no' to people = say 'no' at least six times today to some minor offers, no matter what, until they feel more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Say "no" at least six times a day? I don't think I can. Seriously, I don't think it is possible. Now this is probably a good exercise. I'll have to think about it but I am serious, I have a real problem with saying "no." Maybe that is the root cause of many of my problems.

    ReplyDelete